Seriously No Politics ×

Lots of Abbreviations in the Posts

Navidad

I only joined two days ago. What I notice are a lot of abbreviations in the posts that seem completely understandable to everyone ----- but me! I guess I will have to LANL in OTU TPOTF.  Thanks

"Learn a New Lingo" in "Order to Understand" "The Posts on this Forum."  By the way, what is a CFR and a NONE? SKOML?   "Some Kind of Mormon Lingo?" I have read about the shorthand used in the 19th century that now needs translated by the few folks who are left who can do that. I may have to have a few posts translated for me for a while! 

CFR  call for reference...needs a citation and hopefully online link so paraphrases can be checked, quotes read in context and additional info is available for those who want to know.

Generally speaking, unless it is commonly known, claims are expected to be supported/documented (and not by pointing to a book or website, but with quotes and direct links or page numbers.  If anecdotal, it is enough to say so, but shouldn't get offended if people dismiss such as insufficient evidence.

Some you might run into-

IIRC means if i remember correctly.

IMHO (IMNSHO) means in my (not so) humble opinion.

OP refers either to the original post or the original poster.

I have no idea what NONE means (other than it just being a capitalized version of the word none) or SKOML.

:) 

Edited by bluebell
59 minutes ago, Calm said:

Otoh...on the other hand

fyi...for your information

btw...by the way

LMAO...laughing my ....  off

The usual.  I think CFR is the only unique one to the board.

Thanks so much for the help. I was a school superintendent, so for me CFR always meant the Code of Federal Regulations - a helpful guide to tell me what I could not do or say! Ha!

I really don't see these used here,  but these are pretty common for a number of other places I have been

DH - dear husband (really just "husband")

DW - dear wife

DB - brother

DS - sister or son

SIL - son-in-law (SIL, BIL, MIL, FIL etc)

BFF - best friend (forever)

I'm assuming you get the common LDS ones? EQ and EQP, HP, RS and RSP or SRSP, YM, YW, HT, VT, GA, BoM

5 minutes ago, Rain said:

I really don't see these used here,  but these are pretty common for a number of other places I have been

DH - dear husband (really just "husband")

DW - dear wife

DB - brother

DS - sister or son

SIL - son-in-law (SIL, BIL, MIL, FIL etc)

BFF - best friend (forever)

I'm assuming you get the common LDS ones? EQ and EQP, HP, RS and RSP or SRSP, YM, YW, HT, VT, GA, BoM

No, I don't know all of them, but I think context will be a good guide. EQP could be either End Quality Pricing or Elders Quorum President!