Seriously No Politics ×

Hurrican Harvey: My Story

Darren10

The eye of Hurricane Harvey is to land beyween Corpus Cristi and Galveston. Harvey has just been upgraded to a CAT 4. I live about 90 miles north if Galveston which means tons of rain coming my way in the next several hours. I am so grateful for the Church's social network of fellowship and teachings on preparedness. 

I'll update when I can. Take care and God bless you all. 

Edited by Darren10

So far it's been very tame in the Houston area. Despite the street being baren, esoecially for a Friday night in Houston, I was very surprised how many Uber calls I recieved tonight. I do not expect to drive at all Saturnday unless I can sneek out of my driveway AND I can see a demand for Ubering. My neighborhood street almost always floods during heavy rains but our house has thus far never flooded. 

I usually focus on airport calls. I was surprised to see flights scheduled for the Bush Intercontinental Airport until 5:00 AM. After hat though, according to my Flight Checker app, there are flights scheduled but no arrival tines posted. That's never happened before on my app so I suspect they will be cancelled. Every flight to Hobby was cancelled. Speaking of which, I provided a ride from two young ladies on their way back to Utah for college. They were LDS and that was the first time I've driven Mormons so far as I know. Their flight was cancelled and not rescheduled until Sunday or Monday. I drove them to the Mission President's house because the caller had some sort of connection to him through her mother's aquaintances. He's not the president of the mission my ward is within but, hey, still important, right? :)

Corpus Christi is getting brutally pounded by Harvey. I listened to a report of how Harvey made landfall upon that city and even after an hour it was still a CAT 4. Dang! I think the tail end finally made landfall which is, from my understanding, when a hurricane's force disperses. This decreases the central force but can spur several tornadoes. It is travelling eastward towards Houston but still south from it. I think Galveston is getting hit hard by rains and Victoria County which is about 30-40 miles south from where I live is on a severe flood watch. Every creek in that county is expected to reach record high height. Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers. 

Here's a bit of good news: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/latter-day-saints-prepare-hurricane-harvey

Expect them Mormons to send people in afterwards as well to help fix things up. I would not be surprised our stake formally calls for volunteers. 

6 hours ago, Darren10 said:

Yeah, I saw that after I got hone from Ubering. If I could change the title to "Hurricane Harvey: My Story" I would. 

If you edit the opening post, you should be able to edit the title.

Harvey's much worse further south from me, where it actually made landfall.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4320202/hurricane-harvey-donald-trump-texas-floods-storm-alligators/

On those gator photos, I have seen them before on thr internet so they cannot be actual photos of gators right not in the town. I do not know if the sheriff who issued the gator in the streets warning got shnookerdoodled (sp?) or simply chose to use thst pic after learning if actual reports of gators in bring swept up into the streets.

Edited by Darren10

I drove Saturday night and realized how bad the flooding was getting in Houston. South of Houston in Galveston and Brazoria and Fort Bend counties are even worse off. My front street is flooded but fortunately not our house.  3 deaths so far in the Houston area. 

53 minutes ago, Darren10 said:

I drove Saturday night and realized how bad the flooding was getting in Houston. South of Houston in Galveston and Brazoria and Fort Bend counties are even worse off. My front street is flooded but fortunately not our house.  3 deaths so far in the Houston area. 

:( I was so hoping it wouldn't be as bad as they thought it would be. I really grew to love Texas while there. 

9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

:( I was so hoping it wouldn't be as bad as they thought it would be. I really grew to love Texas while there. 

Me to but it's a lot worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/27/texas-flood-disaster-harvey-has-unloaded-9-trillion-tons-of-water/?utm_term=.04ce65d43e35

My family's safe, thank the Lord. Also, everyone we know from church are safe. School's are cancelled until Sept. 5th.

1 hour ago, Darren10 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/08/27/texas-flood-disaster-harvey-has-unloaded-9-trillion-tons-of-water/?utm_term=.04ce65d43e35

My family's safe, thank the Lord. Also, everyone we know from church are safe. School's are cancelled until Sept. 5th.

I saw a video of what looked like a nursing home filled with water up to the residents' waist. They were just sitting in it. Then  I just saw a video of a man diving in his living room trying to catch a fish swimming around, unreal! 

Edited by Tacenda
4 hours ago, Darren10 said:

You must check in with us frequently....of course not ifyou have more important things to do, but it is hard not to worry about you.

Edited by Calm
15 hours ago, Darren10 said:

Brazoria was one of my areas on my mission. :(

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I saw a video of what looked like a nursing home filled with water up to the residents' waist. They were just sitting in it. Then  I just saw a video of a man diving in his living room trying to catch a fish swimming around, unreal! 

I saw the former not the latter it's amazing that the nursing home made no preparations for this flooding. It was warned and forecasted for days beford it actually hit. . 

42 minutes ago, Rain said:

Brazoria was one of my areas on my mission. :(

That must sadden you greatly. Sorry to hear about it, sister. Are you in contact with anyone there? It's one of thevworst hit areas in the Houston region. 

Edited by Darren10
1 hour ago, Calm said:

You must check in with us frequently....of course not ifyou have more important things to do, but it is hard not to worry about you.

You are very sweet. The main threat to us is if Cypress Creek peaks over its levy limits. It is projected to by tomorrow evening. That creek is not too far from us and last year's flooding, paling compared to this year's flooding, did flood some homes in the ajacent neighborhood. 

Katy, TX is about 35-45 miles away from me, depending on what part of Katy lne uses for a reference. Now the reservoirs need to be released. It could be extremely bad if they overflow. 

Even with the planned releases, it is expected that the water levels will continue to rise throughout the next few days.  The map below shows the areas around the George Bush Park that are the most prone to flooding when the reservoir backs up into the bordering neighborhoods (Ad****s Reservoir Elevation Map).  Although street flooding has already begun all through these subdivisions, the first homes are expected to have water entering the structure when the reservoir rises to a level of 97 feet.  As the level rises above the 97 foot mark, the water will continue to push west towards the areas marked in red.

As of our last conference call with Harris County Flood Control, they believe that the Barker Reservoir will likely achieve the 97-foot mark around 2:00 pm on Monday (8/28/17).  Harris County Flood Control will be contacting residents in the affected areas starting on Monday morning and suggesting that they voluntarily evacuate.

https://esd48firenews.org/2017/08/28/barker-and-ad****s-reservoirs-how-it-affects-the-katy-area/

Edited by Darren10
11 hours ago, Darren10 said:

That must sadden you greatly. Sorry to hear about it, sister. Are you in contact with anyone there? It's one of thevworst hit areas in the Houston region. 

No, I'm not.  My area at the time covered Brazoria, Angleton and Danbury.  

On 8/26/2017 at 10:12 AM, Darren10 said:

Just checked my Flight Tracker app and while many flights were cancelled for the Bush Airport, the vast majoirty are still comin in. That's excellent news. 

If you pick up at Bush, my son lives in Humble.  You might be close

But I think we have discussed this before and you are not?