My Older Brother's Birthday

USU78

My older brother was born on this date in 1952, and died 2 days later.  Here's a little something I wrote some time back called "A Child Falls."

A child fell

Nothing well

And father aches

And mother breaks

With empty arms

Medic alarms

Brothers alone

In seacrest home

A town bereft

And hearts were cleft

David my fallen brother

Always but never there

53 minutes ago, USU78 said:

My older brother was born on this date in 1952, and died 2 days later.  Here's a little something I wrote some time back called "A Child Falls."

A child fell

Nothing well

And father aches

And mother breaks

With empty arms

Medic alarms

Brothers alone

In seacrest home

A town bereft

And hearts were cleft

David my fallen brother

Always but never there

It is sad, the feelings of loss. The feelings of what if? Why? Why him or her? Why not me? I had an uncle who born and lived for just over four hours. My mother named my older brother after him, (she had already chosen the name) and he almost died of the same complications. Thankfully it was 35 years later and medicine, or medical practice has gotten better. My wife and I lost our first child, due to a miscarriage, 40+ years ago. It was hard to endure, your words bear out that kind of pain, and I am sorry for your loss. I wrote something once about a child who passed away, by some friends of ours. Once while visiting a grave nearby, I found something's that had weathered over the years, how time seems to make us remember less. This was not the case for this young man, who passed at the age of 15, 20+ years ago. But the image caused me to write what I did...

Faded Flowers

Faded flowers

O'er my head,

Once alive 

Now with me dead.

Did those I love

My name forget? 

Has time erased

That sad regret? 

From this world,

I did depart. 

Amid bitter tears

And broken heart

Yet here I lie

Now alone,

My name engraved

On sanded stone.

Here in *Sheol

My body waits

For heavens trump,

To seal my fate.

Now strangers walk

Before my face,

With no respect

For this place.

In darkest silence

I'll spend my hours

With changing seasons,

And faded flowers. 

William E Lee

July 7, 1996

Copyright 1996

"Sheol", The Hebrew name for the abode of departed spirits, translated in the KJV as "grave", "pit" or "hell", depending on the context. The writer using it in the context of "grave". 

2 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

It is sad, the feelings of loss. The feelings of what if? Why? Why him or her? Why not me? I had an uncle who born and lived for just over four hours. My mother named my older brother after him, (she had already chosen the name) and he almost died of the same complications. Thankfully it was 35 years later and medicine, or medical practice has gotten better. My wife and I lost our first child, due to a miscarriage, 40+ years ago. It was hard to endure, your words bear out that kind of pain, and I am sorry for your loss. I wrote something once about a child who passed away, by some friends of ours. Once while visiting a grave nearby, I found something's that had weathered over the years, how time seems to make us remember less. This was not the case for this young man, who passed at the age of 15, 20+ years ago. But the image caused me to write what I did...

Faded Flowers

Faded flowers

O'er my head,

Once alive 

Now with me dead.

Did those I love

My name forget? 

Has time erased

That sad regret? 

From this world,

I did depart. 

Amid bitter tears

And broken heart

Yet here I lie

Now alone,

My name engraved

On sanded stone.

Here in *Sheol

My body waits

For heavens trump,

To seal my fate.

Now strangers walk

Before my face,

With no respect

For this place.

In darkest silence

I'll spend my hours

With changing seasons,

And faded flowers. 

William E Lee

July 7, 1996

Copyright 1996

"Sheol", The Hebrew name for the abode of departed spirits, translated in the KJV as "grave", "pit" or "hell", depending on the context. The writer using it in the context of "grave". 

I like it.  Here's another I wrote right after I came home from my mission, in memory of my 2nd brother's lost baby:

Sleep, Baby, Sleep

in the evening's warm stillness we sit

not speaking, waiting for a breath of wind

to tell us the time and melt the walls away

five years we've lain in the darkness

and listened for the lost sounds

distant, hardly remembered

to come again and tell us

where and why the lost was lost

the doors and windows are open

to the wind and the echoes

to let them come back home