Did Anyone View The Eclipse In Rexburg?

ALarson

I have several family members who traveled to Rexburg to view the eclipse (since it was in the eclipse's central path).  I also know some youth who are up there for school and who have reported that there was much excitement and preparation for this event.

Was anyone there in person who could report how it went and what they experienced?

It gave a weird tint, metallic perhaps,  to the light here in Utah Valley.  I think it dropped the temperature a few degrees, but that might have been just a breeze and the usual warming up after it passed the maximum.  Our maple trees refracted the light just enough so that in their shadow on the ground there were hundreds of little crescent suns.  That, I think, was the coolest part.

And the rooster a few doors down seemed to be having a fit but likely something else set it off as without the glasses, the sun appeared the same...at least from the corner of my eye.

I prefer lunar eclipses and the rising of harvest moons behind the mountains.  The glasses used to view the sun must block out everything else so there is no context besides the knowledge of what it is.  I assume a total eclipse where one can see the corona would be different, however.

I was at work and we went outside. A couple of people had eclipse glasses and we passed them around. We also built two of those devices out of paper and boxes so we could watch the occlusion. It was fun. Did not get dark but colors were more washed out. It looked like a cloudy day except without clouds.

I now wish I had driven up North to view the totality. Thankfully the totality is coming to me in seven years. :) 

I looked for the eclipse in Rexburg from the Hobby Airport in Houston but I could not find it. I did try to look at the eclipse in houston while waiting for an Uber call in the same spot. Boy, that sun was BRIGHT. Even for my camera, once the Sun reflected on it, I couldn't bare the glare. My Sister and brother-in-law saw the eclipse in Colorado and Sean, my brother-in-law, placed a welders mask on top of his camera lens to take some pictures. He got in some really good shots. It was a family event where Sean's parents and their kids, my niece, one nephew, and two more nephews I call the Ninja twins. 

58 minutes ago, Darren10 said:

I looked for the eclipse in Rexburg from the Hobby Airport in Houston but I could not find it. I did try to look at the eclipse in houston while waiting for an Uber call in the same spot. Boy, that sun was BRIGHT. Even for my camera, once the Sun reflected on it, I couldn't bare the glare. My Sister and brother-in-law saw the eclipse in Colorado and Sean, my brother-in-law, placed a welders mask on top of his camera lens to take some pictures. He got in some really good shots. It was a family event where Sean's parents and their kids, my niece, one nephew, and two more nephews I call the Ninja twins. 

Don't look at the sun. Especially do not look during an eclipse. Yikes.

You need special glasses to view it. You can also make a makeshift viewer to watch the occlusion.

I talked to my kids about it today before they left for school, then I took a walk at the Mesa temple where I totally forgot it was even happening.  Noticed nothing unusual, but decided if you want peace and quiet outside the temple don't go on the day it is closed as that is when they do yard work.  

My family drove to Kentucky to watch it. We set up shop in an LDS chapel parking lot in Elkton, Ky. No crowds for the viewing, but lots of traffic driving home last night. I'm paying for it now, but well worth it. The difference between watching live and on TV is about the same as watching a concert live vs. listening to an album (or general conference).

The next total eclipse in the US is 2024. It goes from Texas to upstate New York; passes directly over Kirtland and pretty close to Palmyra (interestingly, this last one passed over Far West and was pretty close to Nauvoo). You're all welcome to come watch from my house in 2024, although its in April and we typically have clouds then. I'd recommend Texas if you have the choice.

I scored my glasses from a friend who works at NASA.   I can still see today, so I guess they were safe.  We only had 81% obscured, but it was still impressive.  A big thunderstorm moved in 20 minutes before the maximum eclipse, but the sun broke through the clouds for a few seconds so I got a good view before the clouds covered the sun again.

18 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Don't look at the sun. Especially do not look during an eclipse. Yikes.

You need special glasses to view it. You can also make a makeshift viewer to watch the occlusion.

I did a make shift something in elementary school. Beyond poking a hole in a piece of paper I forget w hhat at we did. I'll look it up for, what, 2024 when Austin is inline to get a full eclipse? 

2 hours ago, Darren10 said:

I did a make shift something in elementary school. Beyond poking a hole in a piece of paper I forget w hhat at we did. I'll look it up for, what, 2024 when Austin is inline to get a full eclipse? 

Yeah, two sheets of paper with a hole. Or you can use foil for first one. We put a sheet of paper on the ground and another with a hole above. Line it up and you can see the occlusion.

11 hours ago, Buckeye said:

My family drove to Kentucky to watch it. We set up shop in an LDS chapel parking lot in Elkton, Ky. No crowds for the viewing, but lots of traffic driving home last night. I'm paying for it now, but well worth it. The difference between watching live and on TV is about the same as watching a concert live vs. listening to an album (or general conference).

The next total eclipse in the US is 2024. It goes from Texas to upstate New York; passes directly over Kirtland and pretty close to Palmyra (interestingly, this last one passed over Far West and was pretty close to Nauvoo). You're all welcome to come watch from my house in 2024, although its in April and we typically have clouds then. I'd recommend Texas if you have the choice.

My house is scheduled for totality. PARTY AT MY PLACE!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...