Jump to content

Book Club/Discussion Group: A Piece of "Faction" ... Factual Fiction ... I Wrote


Kenngo1969

Recommended Posts

I hesitate, somewhat (though probably not enough), to do this.  (Fools rush in ... :D)  Though names, locales, other identifying details, and surrounding circumstances have been changed for dramatic purposes, real-life, flesh-and-blood people are involved, and perhaps this cuts through the flesh to the muscle, and through the muscle to the bone. Some time ago, I wrote a piece of "faction" ... factual fiction ... about a relationship in which I was involved once, and about the metamorphosis of a young lady for whom I once cared a great deal.  Though we're no longer as young as we once were, and though she long since has moved on, on some level, I care for her still.  I've tried hard to move on, too, and I'm not really very big on "pining" for anyone.  Hopefully no one gets the idea that that's what this is about.  I'm posting this in General Discussions in hopes that it attracts broader attention and wider traffic before the Mods decide to move it to Social Hall. ;) 

Love and marriage figure somewhere in here, of course.  It is a romance, after all.  I'm not necessarily interested in focusing more than in passing on those topics.  Hopefully, we can also avoid turning this into yet another thread about gay marriage. ;)  I'm more interested in exploring broader themes of repentance, of forgiveness, of change, of metamorphosis, of what it means to recognize our identity as Children of God with a divine heritage and potential, and so on.  Anyway, without further ado, I give you the first chapter/installment of Deanna: A Story of Love and Change.

https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/fiction-deanna-chapter-1/

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I've been reading at the hospital I volunteer at, and it's pretty good so far. I like that it's fact-fiction. I picture it and you and excited to read your life, mixed in with some fiction, story. 

What, you mean somebody actually read it ... and responded?  I'm shocked ... shocked, I tell you! :o:blink:   Thanks for reading. :)  Stay tuned.  If it ends up that you don't think it's any good, do me a favor and ... Shhhhhhhhhh!!! ... don't tell anybody.  On the other hand, if you think it's not bad, you have to tell 20 of your friends. :D  Thanks again for reading.

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

What, you mean somebody actually read it ... and responded?  I'm shocked ... shocked, I tell you! :o:blink:   Thanks for reading. :)  Stay tuned.  If it ends up that you don't think it's any good, do me a favor and ... Shhhhhhhhhh!!! ... don't tell anybody.  On the other hand, if you think it's not bad, you have to tell 20 of your friends. :D  Thanks again for reading.

I love true stories! Hint, hint!! (hoping to see what makes you tick)

I wouldn't worry about explaining things in the church a lot when referring to saying things like, "you wined and dined her", but understand that if an LDS were reading they would wonder if you really had wine, lol. 

I use to read a lot of LDS fiction books, remember "Charly"? How you write reminds me of that genre of books. I think you're very talented, you're definitely a writer!

So do you write a little at a time and can people's opinions affect what you write? 

 

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Back, by popular demand!  [Crickets] :huh: 

Chapter 2 is now up.

https://wordpress.com/post/greatgourdini.wordpress.com/5183

I read your first chapter, Kenngo and enjoyed it.  I found myself rooting for you (if it's truly a story from your past).  It was sweet and honest.  I liked seeing more of what you've experienced (than just a name here and some posts). It was a glimpse inside.

I'll read your second chapter tomorrow as I'm off to bed now (long day).  Thanks for sharing this!

Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I love true stories! Hint, hint!! (hoping to see what makes you tick)

I wouldn't worry about explaining things in the church a lot when referring to saying things like, "you wined and dined her", but understand that if an LDS were reading they would wonder if you really had wine, lol. 

 

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that if I had published it (using the term publish rather loosely, since any fool can slap something up on a blog and say he "published" it :rolleyes:) specifically for an LDS audience or in a forum where only or mostly LDS would be likely to see it, such explanations would not be necessary. However, since access to my blog is not restricted, I don't want non-LDS readers to see me as "provincial" or to think they're not welcome to visit because I use undefined, "in-group" terminology when I write on LDS topics.  While I think the chances of my blog "converting" anyone are virtually nil, at least non-LDS readers might take away a better understanding of "things Mormon" if I take a moment to explain the "in-group" terminology. :) 

Quote

I use to read a lot of LDS fiction books, remember "Charly"? How you write reminds me of that genre of books. I think you're very talented, you're definitely a writer!

Thanks. While I think the chances of my becoming the next Jack Weyland are quite remote (to say the least! ;)), it's flattering to be favorably compared to him or to books in that genre.

Quote

So do you write a little at a time and can people's opinions affect what you write? 

I first completed a draft of this in 1997.  When I ran across the manuscript again a month or two ago (with some very polite rejection letters from Deseret Book and Bookcraft, which are understandable because this is not, strictly speaking, fiction, and they generally don't publish "almost true" accounts), I decided, "Hey, if nothing else, the Blog will be a good outlet for this."  In answer to your question, I'm a compulsive editor: If I see something I wrote 20 years ago and think that some additions to it will provide needed context, or that I can say something better now than I said it then, I'll edit it.

I welcome your feedback.  I reserve the right to incorporate all, part, or none of it as I see fit, and hope you would not be offended if I were to choose the second or third of those options. ;) I don't see publication of this extending beyond the blog, though, and I have a couple of other major projects I'm working on which, quite frankly, deserve precedence.  This was more of a lark where I said, "Hey, as much as this might leave to be desired, it deserves more than simply to sit somewhere gathering ... and eventually to turn to ... dust."  

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, JulieM said:

I read your first chapter, Kenngo and enjoyed it.  I found myself rooting for you (if it's truly a story from your past).  It was sweet and honest.  I liked seeing more of what you've experienced (than just a name here and some posts). It was a glimpse inside.

I'll read your second chapter tomorrow as I'm off to bed now (long day).  Thanks for sharing this!

Most of it is a story from my past (save for the last chapter or two). ;) I tacked on an afterword in an effort to draw the clearest line I can between what's real and what, for dramatic purposes, has been fictionalized.  I'm glad you have enjoyed it so far.  I hope you persevere and that you continue to enjoy it, and I'll make you the same deal I made Tacenda: If it "bombs" and you end up hating it, that's "our secret."  If you do finish it, and if you like it, you have to tell at least 20 people. ;):D  Thanks for reading! 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment

With profuse, profound apologies to my adoring fans (both of them :D), I got a late start and didn't take the opportunity to post this before I left for work.  I thought perhaps I could post it during a slow moment at work, but, actually, it was pretty busy today (still boring :lazy:, but busy ;)), and when I got home, I found my apartment had been burglarized.  (Not to worry, though: I know the burglars ... my parents ... so I called and talked to them for awhile to find out the back story behind the burglary. ;))

And now, at last, here we are.  I'll make up for it by posting Chapters 4 and 5 in quick succession, one tonight and one tomorrow morning before work.

Here you go:

https://wordpress.com/post/greatgourdini.wordpress.com/5211 

Link to comment
On 8/22/2017 at 9:29 PM, Tacenda said:

I love true stories! Hint, hint!! (hoping to see what makes you tick) ...

In this case, I hope you'll settle for a mostly true story: Somewhere between, say, 80 and 90 percent. ;) 

Since I know my adoring fans (both of them :D:rofl::D ) have been waiting, with 'bated breath, on the edge of their seats, all aquiver, for the next installment, and since I'm Sleepless in Utah County ;) , here it is:

Editing links versus actual post links had me confused: I was wondering why I was only seeing numbers, not titles.  So here are the actual post links:

Chapter 1: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/fiction-deanna-chapter-1/

Chapter 2: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/fiction-deanna-chapter-2/

Chapter 3: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/fiction-deanna-chapter-3/

Chapter 4: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/fiction-deanna-chapter-4/

Chapter 5: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/fiction-deanna-chapter-5/

Chapter 6: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/fiction-deanna-chapter-6/ 

Chapter 7: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/28/fiction-deanna-chapter-7/

Chapter 8: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/fiction-deanna-chapter-8/

Chapter 9: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/fiction-deanna-chapter-9/

Chapter 10: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/fiction-deanna-chapter-10/

 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
On August 26, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

In this case, I hope you'll settle for a mostly true story: Somewhere between, say, 80 and 90 percent. ;) 

Since I know my adoring fans (both of them :D:rofl::D ) have been waiting, with 'bated breath, on the edge of their seats, all aquiver, for the next installment, and since I'm Sleepless in Utah County ;) , here it is:

Editing links versus actual post links had me confused: I was wondering why I was only seeing numbers, not titles.  So here are the actual post links:

Chapter 1: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/fiction-deanna-chapter-1/

Chapter 2: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/22/fiction-deanna-chapter-2/

Chapter 3: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/fiction-deanna-chapter-3/

Chapter 4: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/fiction-deanna-chapter-4/

Chapter 5: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/fiction-deanna-chapter-5/

Chapter 6: https://greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2017/08/26/fiction-deanna-chapter-6/ 

Thanks Kenngo!  I read them all and I think the story is very sad :(

I don't know how it ends yet, but I don't understand why Deanna cut communication with Eric if she truly loves him.  I'll keep reading though!

Link to comment
2 hours ago, JulieM said:

Thanks Kenngo!  I read them all and I think the story is very sad :(

I don't know how it ends yet, but I don't understand why Deanna cut communication with Eric if she truly loves him.  I'll keep reading though!

As for why she cut off communication with me ... Uh, I mean, with Eric! :huh::unknw: What?  Oh, sorry. ;) (Yes, it is fiction; no, despite a strong resemblance, I'm not one of the characters :D) ... is that sometimes, people need to do that kind of sifting in relationships to decide where people stand, where they should stand, which relationships are most worth nurturing, and so on.

Persevere!  It has a happy (if fictional) ending!  

I hesitate to invoke Saturday's Warrior, since opinions about it (even among the faithful) run the gamut between the sappiest kitsch ever produced, on the one hand, and the best love/redemption/etc. story ever told, on the other hand.  However, I'm reminded of a particular line from Warrior.  I don't have access to the script, to memorable lines, or things of that nature, but at one point, Pam tells Jimmy, that things fall into place ... once you really know who you are.

Don't fret.  Something similar (albeit in a fictional realm) happens here. :) 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, JulieM said:

I'm still reading :)

These are definitely happier chapters!  But why do I get the feeling it's about to turn again  :mellow:

How many chapters are there?

Heh ...  Stay tuned. ;)  

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Hey you two...no spoiler alerts! I'm needing to catch up.

 

22 hours ago, JulieM said:

Oops!  Sorry Tacenda, I'll be more careful :)

Tacenda,

Let me know when you've caught up.  I'll wait to post more until I hear from you. :) 

-Ken

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...