Seriously No Politics ×

"Signs and Wonders in the Heavens".

Tonight, and especially tomorrow night is supposed to be one of the greatest mediator showers ever in our lifetime. Then of course a total eclipse of the sun, (on the 21st) from the great Northwest to my neighborhood here in Georgia. 

Such wonders, have always brought to mind the many revelations or foretelling of the last days and the second coming of Jesus Christ. In times past many such events have only been seen or known to the geographical area where they occurred. As such before, it would cause fear, to both the believing and the non-believing. In today's age, where every event can be seen as it is happening, such events are considered common, or rather have caused them to seem commonplace. 

In our age, and especially our belief in living Prophets and Apostles, we think there is no need to worry. We believe that we might get a "heads up", but in reality we have been by both modern and ancient Prophets. 

When should we take such events seriously, and look to the heavens for the signs of the "coming of the Son of Man? I don't mean to go "quote mining" as so many have done, doing so to write books that scare people, and then building businesses that play on these fears. Something that one member turned into a million dollar  enterprise. As believers, we are certainly expected to "watch and be ready", as the scriptures tell us too. 

Anyway, are the events this weekend and next week a "sign", or because of technology and the 24 hour news cycle, something to just ignore, and view as commonplace? 

Meteor showers and eclipses are routine stuff. However, if coupled with other events, an eclipse may portend prophecy. I believe a lot of such language deals with symbolic ideas which are largely misunderstood. For instance the great star called wormwood prophesied in Revelation. I have seen some go off on how this is going to be a great destructive meteor or comet. Instead, I believe it is going to be a "great" false prophet who will lead a third astray. Phrases such as the sun being darkened may allude to the light of Christ being hidden. Although we are in the last days, I will affirmatively state that those following Christ in righteousness right now have nothing to worry about. If they lose their lives for Christ, as some have recently in the Middle East, they will receive their glory. 

2 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Tonight, and especially tomorrow night is supposed to be one of the greatest mediator showers ever in our lifetime. Then of course a total eclipse of the sun, (on the 21st) from the great Northwest to my neighborhood here in Georgia. 

Such wonders, have always brought to mind the many revelations or foretelling of the last days and the second coming of Jesus Christ. In times past many such events have only been seen or known to the geographical area where they occurred. As such before, it would cause fear, to both the believing and the non-believing. In today's age, where every event can be seen as it is happening, such events are considered common, or rather have caused them to seem commonplace. 

In our age, and especially our belief in living Prophets and Apostles, we think there is no need to worry. We believe that we might get a "heads up", but in reality we have been by both modern and ancient Prophets. 

When should we take such events seriously, and look to the heavens for the signs of the "coming of the Son of Man? I don't mean to go "quote mining" as so many have done, doing so to write books that scare people, and then building businesses that play on these fears. Something that one member turned into a million dollar  enterprise. As believers, we are certainly expected to "watch and be ready", as the scriptures tell us too. 

Anyway, are the events this weekend and next week a "sign", or because of technology and the 24 hour news cycle, something to just ignore, and view as commonplace? 

They are not common place, but given the Deep Time of our planet it would appear so. The next time the total eclipse will happen in my area is in 2700. I don't think I'll make it in this life. ;)

Enjoy.

Edited by thesometimesaint
10 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

On the night of Saturday Sept 22, 1827, at New Moon (first crescent) and Autumnal Equinox, and Jewish New Year, Joseph not only took the plates from the hill near Manchester, but Brigham and Miriam Young, John and Fanny Young, Heber and Vilate Kimball, and John and Rhoda Greene (none of whom knew Joseph) all experienced an extraordinary heavenly vision -- see Daniel Peterson in Sunstone, 4/2 (Mar-April 1979), 31, and W. Jeffrey Marsh in Journal of Book of Mormon Studies, 10/2 (2001),8-9, both citing especially O. F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, 2nd ed. (1945/1992), 15-17. 

There was also a spectacular Leonide meteor shower (an artifact of the Temple-Tuttle Comet) on the night of 13 November 1833.  Near Independence, Missouri, in Clay County, a refugee Mormon community watched that meteor shower on the banks of the Missouri River after having been driven from their homes by local settlers.  Joseph Smith, afterwards noted in his journal that this event was a literal fulfillment of the word of God and a sure sign that the coming of Christ was close at hand.  T. G. Alexander, "Wilford Woodruff and the Changing Nature of Mormon Religious Experience," Church History, 45 (1976), 56-69.