Seriously No Politics ×

Why strong Mormon Women Stay in the Church

Okrahomer

Eva Witesman has published an Op-ed in today's Deseret News which (judging from the comments) is generating some intense reaction.  Dr. Witesman's writing rings clear and true to me.  Even though I'm only a man, I too stay because of "yes."

"Why do strong women stay in the church? I cannot answer this question for anyone else. But I can answer it for myself. I stay because of yes. Because when I keep my covenants, I have the power of knowing — seeing — in a way I cannot achieve without my Father in Heaven. No man or woman can; we are all equally reliant on the God who fills the empty vessels of our humanity with His love and His power." 

"I stay because I know — have always known — that there is greatness in me. And through the gift of the Holy Ghost, through yes, I have learned what that greatness is."

"I stay because I know — have always known — that there is greatness in me. And through the gift of the Holy Ghost, through yes, I have learned what that greatness is."

I don't know why, but this rubs my wrong. I hope that I'm allowed to have this opinion on this board. 

What is greatness? 

great·ness

ˈɡrātnəs/

noun

the quality of being great, distinguished, or eminent.

"Elgar's greatness as a composer"

synonyms:eminence, distinction, illustriousness, repute, high standing; More

Doesn't feel like it's that great to have greatness. But glad she's strong. All women deserve that. 

ETA: I do like this sentiment though, (hopefully I'm not being too critical above):

"Because when I keep my covenants, I have the power of knowing — seeing — in a way I cannot achieve without my Father in Heaven. No man or woman can; we are all equally reliant on the God who fills the empty vessels of our humanity with His love and His power." 

Edited by Tacenda
9 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

"I stay because I know — have always known — that there is greatness in me. And through the gift of the Holy Ghost, through yes, I have learned what that greatness is."

I don't know why, but this rubs my wrong. I hope that I'm allowed to have this opinion on this board. 

What is greatness? 

great·ness

ˈɡrātnəs/

noun

the quality of being great, distinguished, or eminent.

"Elgar's greatness as a composer"

synonyms:eminence, distinction, illustriousness, repute, high standing; More

Doesn't feel like it's that great to have greatness. But glad she's strong. All women deserve that. 

When she uses the word "greatness", she's referring to her own divine potential.

"I was born knowing — knowing — that there was divinity in me. In the words of Sheri Dew, I was born for glory. We all were. I saw it in my mother, my grandmother, my sister. I think this is at the core of every strong woman: This knowing. This fire. This sense of eternal destiny. This greatness.

Can you help me understand why that rubs you the wrong way?

Edited by Okrahomer
3 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

When she uses the word "greatness", she's referring to her own divine potential.

"I was born knowing — knowing — that there was divinity in me. In the words of Sheri Dew, I was born for glory. We all were. I saw it in my mother, my grandmother, my sister. I think this is at the core of every strong woman: This knowing. This fire. This sense of eternal destiny. This greatness.

Can you help me understand why that rubs you the wrong way?

I edited my comments, notice? The part you reference above is not a problem. Just the greatness part. But that's all I got to say about that. 

2 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

Oh, I must have been responding when you posted your edit.  Sorry about that.

You are just fine, I'm glad you posted the subject, I like to see what keeps people in the church and I don't discredit this woman, just the comment about greatness rubbed me wrong. And sorry that I was channeling Forrest Gump on that post. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

You are just fine, I'm glad you posted the subject, I like to see what keeps people in the church and I don't discredit this woman, just the comment about greatness rubbed me wrong. And sorry that I was channeling Forrest Gump on that post. :rolleyes:

Speaking of "greatness" and "Forest Gump":  I loved that movie!  I have even taken to heart some of the ideas it expresses in terms of allowing myself to be "led"--even into situations that are uncomfortable--and not to agonize over things I cannot control.  I think the Lord uses these situations to teach us and unlock our individual potential to be "great."  Drawing on Dr. Witesman, it's an opportunity for Him to say "yes" to us. 

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I think one of the biggest mistakes the internet ever made is (possibly accidentally) suggesting that the opinions of morons matter.

Now wait, this moron matters. Me being the moron, or does that make me more a moron for pointing out that it is me? 

2 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Now wait, this moron matters. Me being the moron, or does that make me more a moron for pointing out that it is me? 

Papa, I have a hard time seeing you as a moron so unless you can present some kind of documentation proving it I refuse to believe you are one. :) 

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Papa, I have a hard time seeing you as a moron so unless you can present some kind of documentation proving it I refuse to believe you are one. :) 

Sadly my parents are gone, and my brothers don't haunt these halls. So I have no one to say otherwise. 

23 hours ago, ksfisher said:

And cat videos.

I really like cat videos...  my cat, Bob, is laugh out loud funny at times.  I'm the proverbial old woman who lives with her cat... in a cottage by the sea.  I got Bob from the shelter when he was about 2 years old... a big beautiful white with black patches, 20 lbs.  I think his owner was an older woman like me, who probably became ill and her family couldn't take him so they put him in a carrier and dropped him off at the vets with two others.  The vet made sure they were neutered and had all their shots then took them to the shelter, and that's where I found him.   I've had him 7 1/2 years now.  He should be in a video!

From the beach...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
9 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I really like cat videos...  my cat, Bob, is laugh out loud funny at times.  I'm the proverbial old woman who lives with her cat... in a cottage by the sea.  I got Bob from the shelter when he was about 2 years old... a big beautiful white with black patches, 20 lbs.  I think his owner was an older woman like me, who probably became ill and her family couldn't take him so they put him in a carrier and dropped him off at the vets with two others.  The vet made sure they were neutered and had all their shots then took them to the shelter, and that's where I found him.   I've had him 7 1/2 years now.  He should be in a video!

From the beach...

GG

My wife Wendy is also a cat lady. When I married her last year she had three, but two of them were quite elderly (over 20 years), and one passed away before I got a chance to meet her (the cat). Now she only has one, and he was a stray that got adopted.  His name is Toffie.  Wendy claims that when Toffie goes (he's at least 15 years old) she won't get another cat, but the way she reacts to cats in general, I think she will.

It's a good thing I like cats, too.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:16 PM, The Nehor said:

I think one of the biggest mistakes the internet ever made is (possibly accidentally) suggesting that the opinions of morons matter.

Where do I go to get my dunce cap? I just posted over there in response to a skeptical lady who opined that she could respect it more if Eva had not stated "I was born knowing — knowing — that there was divinity in me."

I opined that it might be helpful if we do not take every word of the article literally. I have often heard a figure of speech "I was born ready" in response to a question and I do not believe that anyone would actually take such an answer literally. May we should just try to understand what she is trying to say. This is sort of like acting rather than reacting.

Glenn, looking for his dunce cap.

9 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Glenn, looking for his dunce cap.

Sorry, Glenn.  I found your cap several years ago all dusty from lack of use.  I gave it a good scrubbing.  I don't think I could give it back though, I need it far more often than you.  Finders keepers.

Edited by Okrahomer