Jump to content

Songs that Best Represent an Era


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

Same here.  I still get a laugh out of the "Telephone Song" and wonder how Hollywood might re-imagine the situation in the age of iPhones, text-messaging and Snapchat.

Did you see the album with Yogi Bear on it! :D At the time I wanted to see the movie; however, my dad said , "It's just a movie about a drafted rock singer ---- how good could it possibly be!" 

Link to comment

I was fortunate to grow up with several "eras."  1945 - mid 60's.  1) The Big Bands... Glenn Miller, the Dorseys, Harry James, Ray Anthony, Benny Goodman, etc etc.  2) The singers/singing groups... the Four Freshmen, Andrews Sisters, Patti Page, Patsy Cline (crossover country), Rosemary Clooney, Dean Martin etc etc.  3) Rock N Roll... Fats Domino, Bill Haley & Comets, The Platters, Elvis, Buddy Holly, etc etc... and my all time favorites of 60's, the Beach Boys... then a change I was sorry to see as "metal/heavy metal" came into being...  I never "listen to music" anymore.  I can't relate... Only to light classical...

GG 

Edited by Garden Girl
Link to comment
On 8/10/2017 at 7:34 AM, LittleNipper said:

Did you see the album with Yogi Bear on it! :D At the time I wanted to see the movie; however, my dad said , "It's just a movie about a drafted rock singer ---- how good could it possibly be!" 

I think my folks felt some ambivalence about the movie too.  In the end they took all of us to see it at the hometown theater--the Ritz.  I recall feeling my shoes stick to the floor as we made our way to our seats.  Yeeuck!

Edited by Okrahomer
Link to comment

I don't know if it represents the era best, but my high school graduation song was Alphaville's Forever Young, performed by a band composed of members of the Class.  (Here's Alphaville's rendition: http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TcDHrkQYg. I have our version, but it's still on VHS.  Sorry.).  I like Rod Stewart's.  It has advice I would give my children, if I had any, but there are always nieces and nephews: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q="Rod+Stewart"+Forever+Young&qpvt="Rod+Stewart"+Forever+Young&view=detail&mid=835D0323BD2DF66D92BA835D0323BD2DF66D92BA&FORM=VRDGAR.

As I look back, a lot of things are hazy; I've forgotten a lot of things (for some of those things, forgetting is a tender mercy). And yet, not only are there other things I have not forgotten, not only are those things indelibly seared into my memory, even to this day, after all this time, in some ways, literally, they define me ... still.

My itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny (I know what you're thinking: no, I have never worn a bikini :D) wee little bit of a part as "Doc," the drugstore owner, in our high school's production of West Side Story: Only three scenes, barely more than three lines (if that), but memorable, nonetheless.

Climbing the mountain to light our high school's "T" at night shortly before graduation, realizing I would never make the last part of the journey, a very steep climb, on my own, having two members of the class tell me, "No way are we letting you miss this," and having them literally carry me the rest of the way.  (Thanks, Brendan and Dean :)).

Graduation.  Hearing my name announced, whereupon I said to myself, "OK, now I walk across the stage and get my diploma," only to be stopped by the Senior Class President who then read a letter describing how the way I met the unusual challenges I faced during our education had inspired the other members of the class, followed by the presentation of the letter, which had been signed by 208 of the 280 members of the class, along with a check comprised of money taken from the Senior Class Fund (You know, "Hey!  We just graduated!  What should we do with this money?  Go to Hawaii?"  Yeah.  That fund.  They gave some of it to me.) to a sustained standing ovation.

Wait.  This thread was supposed to be about music wasn't it. :unknw:  Thanks for letting me reminisce.  We now return you to your regularly-scheduled, on-topic programming.

 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't know if it represents the era best, but my high school graduation song was Alphaville's Forever Young, performed by a band composed of members of the Class.  (Here's Alphaville's rendition: http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TcDHrkQYg. I have our version, but it's still on VHS.  Sorry.).  I like Rod Stewart's.  It has advice I would give my children, if I had any, but there are always nieces and nephews: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q="Rod+Stewart"+Forever+Young&qpvt="Rod+Stewart"+Forever+Young&view=detail&mid=835D0323BD2DF66D92BA835D0323BD2DF66D92BA&FORM=VRDGAR.

As I look back, a lot of things are hazy; I've forgotten a lot of things (for some of those things, forgetting is a tender mercy). And yet, not only are there other things I have not forgotten, not only are those things indelibly seared into my memory, even to this day, after all this time, in some ways, literally, they define me ... still.

My itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny (I know what you're thinking: no, I have never worn a bikini :D) wee little bit of a part as "Doc," the drugstore owner, in our high school's production of West Side Story: Only three scenes, barely more than three lines (if that), but memorable, nonetheless.

Climbing the mountain to light our high school's "T" at night shortly before graduation, realizing I would never make the last part of the journey, a very steep climb, on my own, having two members of the class tell me, "No way are we letting you miss this," and having them literally carry me the rest of the way.  (Thanks, Brendan and Dean :)).

Graduation.  Hearing my name announced, whereupon I said to myself, "OK, now I walk across the stage and get my diploma," only to be stopped by the Senior Class President who then read a letter describing how the way I met the unusual challenges I faced during our education had inspired the other members of the class, followed by the presentation of the letter, which had been signed by 208 of the 280 members of the class, along with a check comprised of money taken from the Senior Class Fund (You know, "Hey!  We just graduated!  What should we do with this money?  Go to Hawaii?"  Yeah.  That fund.  They gave some of it to me.) to a sustained standing ovation.

Wait.  This thread was supposed to be about music wasn't it. :unknw:  Thanks for letting me reminisce.  We now return you to your regularly-scheduled, on-topic programming.

 

Wow, not many can say they've had this kind of accolade or love from whole groups/individuals like this. 

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Wow, not many can say they've had this kind of accolade or love from whole groups/individuals like this. 

No kidding.  Please don't think for a minute that I lack an appreciation for how rare that is, or that I, in any way, take it for granted.  Like I said, an indelible memory, imprinted, as it were, not only in my mind, but upon my very soul. :) 

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't know if it represents the era best, but my high school graduation song was Alphaville's Forever Young, performed by a band composed of members of the Class.  (Here's Alphaville's rendition: http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TcDHrkQYg. I have our version, but it's still on VHS.  Sorry.).  I like Rod Stewart's.  It has advice I would give my children, if I had any, but there are always nieces and nephews: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q="Rod+Stewart"+Forever+Young&qpvt="Rod+Stewart"+Forever+Young&view=detail&mid=835D0323BD2DF66D92BA835D0323BD2DF66D92BA&FORM=VRDGAR.

As I look back, a lot of things are hazy; I've forgotten a lot of things (for some of those things, forgetting is a tender mercy). And yet, not only are there other things I have not forgotten, not only are those things indelibly seared into my memory, even to this day, after all this time, in some ways, literally, they define me ... still.

My itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny (I know what you're thinking: no, I have never worn a bikini :D) wee little bit of a part as "Doc," the drugstore owner, in our high school's production of West Side Story: Only three scenes, barely more than three lines (if that), but memorable, nonetheless.

Climbing the mountain to light our high school's "T" at night shortly before graduation, realizing I would never make the last part of the journey, a very steep climb, on my own, having two member

Wow..you are so loved and admired...you rock...my graduation was kind of like "good riddance and good luck"..:(

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Wow..you are so loved and admired...you rock...my graduation was kind of like "good riddance and good luck"..:(

Oh, I've had my share of sort of "going-through-the-motions" graduation ceremonies, too.  (When you're as obscenely-overeducated-and-underemployed as I am, that tends to happen based simply on the law of averages: the more graduations you have, the less significant, perhaps, any one ceremony becomes. :rolleyes: )  I wasn't going to "walk" when I got my last degree (the law degree), because I had an inkling that this (i.e., "Congratulations!  You graduated!  Now, sit your butt back down in that cubicle, tether yourself to that phone, and answer calls until we say you can do something different (but don't hold your breath!)") was gonna happen. :huh:  "Forget it!  Just mail me the damn thing!"  But my mom threatened to kill me if I didn't walk, so ... :rofl: 

P.S.: But this thread is about music, remember.  We now return you to your regularly-scheduled, on-topic programming. ;) 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment

I picked this one from the "Gay Nineties" It came out in 1891 and a variation was even sung by little children with regard to the Lizzie Bordon ax murders (with substituted words of course).  It is still recognized today by most individuals..

 

Edited by LittleNipper
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...