Seriously No Politics ×

Getting paid for being family caregiver

Calm

I bought/invested in Long Term Care that when I payed alittle extra...this would mean that any care giver ..family or otherwise would be paid some dollars.  But this is what I want...to stay at home if possible and make sure that others are somewhat compensated.  I haven't read your link yet..will do.  Taking care of my Dad between me and my bros has turned out to be more expensive and time away from job things than we imagined.  I do't want kids to do this...

:PTold them to put me in a rubber room and throw in some doughnuts.

By the way...does anybody else have an elderly parent that is convinced there is bedbugs in the bed???!!

3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

... :PTold them to put me in a rubber room and throw in some doughnuts. ...

As someone who has successfully attracted The Collective Indifference of the Female of the Species In Its Entirety ™ (and who, in any event, doesn't think it would exactly be fair to "attract" someone solely or primarily so she could take care of me, anyway! <_<:huh:), I now have my Long Term Care Plan! :D  Thank you! ;) 

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 8/7/2017 at 7:12 AM, Jeanne said:

this is what I want...to stay at home if possible and make sure that others are somewhat compensated.  Taking care of my Dad between me and my bros has turned out to be more expensive and time away from job things than we imagined.  I do't want kids to do this...

:PTold them to put me in a rubber room and throw in some doughnuts.

By the way...does anybody else have an elderly parent that is convinced there is bedbugs in the bed???!!

No bedbugs.  But we did take care of parents on both sides for several Years.  You may be surprised at how long you live.  My Mother in Law had a stroke about three years ago.  My wife supplements her round the clock care two or three times per week during the day.  Her Mom is very sharp.  Her brain is just disconnected from communicating very well. She is crippled and incontinent.  She has an insurance policy that will run out in December.  She wants to remain in her home. We are getting older and worn out.  We love her, but are falling into the elderly camp ourselves.  You say you don't want the kids to do this. Having seen what you did for your Dad, they will want to help you.  They may have grandchildren to visit, retirements to fund, missions to serve and marriage and family relationships to strengthen. They may have bills that require work to pay off.  But all that will take a back seat to you and your very real needs.

We have thought about all this.  Like you, we don't want to be a burden to our children. Whether insurance, medicaid, or liquidating our estate, we would like to be near one or more of our children for occasional visits.  A nearby family group home is a good solution that is less than Visiting Angels, etc. And gives the family flexibility.  Look at your insurance policy and find out if they will allow a CNA or family member rather than an agency.  Hers required an agency and is running out quickly at $8,500 per month.

Here are some other options:  If you must stay at home, take care of yourself as long as possible.  As you get toward the end, take out a Reverse Mortgage and use it to hire a CNA.  They are half the cost of an agency, or less.  Or use it to pay a family member until it is used up.  By then you may qualify for Medicaid.  Sell the home and move into an assisted living facility.

Each situation is different.  You've been there. Talk it over with your kids.   This is an important part of your life that requires planning.  I wish you (and your children) the best of luck.

15 hours ago, Meerkat said:

No bedbugs.  But we did take care of parents on both sides for several Years.  You may be surprised at how long you live.  My Mother in Law had a stroke about three years ago.  My wife supplements her round the clock care two or three times per week during the day.  Her Mom is very sharp.  Her brain is just disconnected from communicating very well. She is crippled and incontinent.  She has an insurance policy that will run out in December.  She wants to remain in her home. We are getting older and worn out.  We love her, but are falling into the elderly camp ourselves.  You say you don't want the kids to do this. Having seen what you did for your Dad, they will want to help you.  They may have grandchildren to visit, retirements to fund, missions to serve and marriage and family relationships to strengthen. They may have bills that require work to pay off.  But all that will take a back seat to you and your very real needs.

We have thought about all this.  Like you, we don't want to be a burden to our children. Whether insurance, medicaid, or liquidating our estate, we would like to be near one or more of our children for occasional visits.  A nearby family group home is a good solution that is less than Visiting Angels, etc. And gives the family flexibility.  Look at your insurance policy and find out if they will allow a CNA or family member rather than an agency.  Hers required an agency and is running out quickly at $8,500 per month.

Here are some other options:  If you must stay at home, take care of yourself as long as possible.  As you get toward the end, take out a Reverse Mortgage and use it to hire a CNA.  They are half the cost of an agency, or less.  Or use it to pay a family member until it is used up.  By then you may qualify for Medicaid.  Sell the home and move into an assisted living facility.

Each situation is different.  You've been there. Talk it over with your kids.   This is an important part of your life that requires planning.  I wish you (and your children) the best of luck.

You have wonderful  and thoughtful advice here..you have given me a lot to think about.  Your mother in law is a very fortunate lady to have such loving family.  When I see others where Dad is...they are so alone.  As far as finances..after I  thought about things..you really can put a pricetag on such love and care.  God bless you and yours!!