Seriously No Politics ×

For My Mormon Friends

Jeanne

5 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Is this post all the poem?

And are you, Jeanne, posting it because you are thinking these things?

It was just a quote from a magazine I was reading and it touched me.  I am thinking these things..all of us are so misunderstood...and I, too, wonder about myself in hangin on...and not letting go..until that time comes ..and I do some practicing,.I hope you guys will let me  stay.  Thank you.

I want peace...there is something that keeps me from that letting go..but I need to quit trying to prove anything to anyone..and just be myself.  Where that takes me is yet to be determined.

Edited by Jeanne
9 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

all of us are so misunderstood...and I, too, wonder about myself in hangin on...and not letting go..until that time comes ..and I do some practicing,.I hope you guys will let me  stay.  Thank you.

I want peace...there is something that keeps me from that letting go..but I need to quit trying to prove anything to anyone..and just be myself.  Where that takes me is yet to be determined.

I can appreciate that sentiment :)

2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

The poet Rumi wrote, "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field.  I'll meet you there".

Meeting in that field is one of the kindest and truest things we can do in this life. 

I know that I need to "let go"..but it will take practice.   I had to ask myself a question ...perhaps a question we should all ask ourselves; do I want to be right, justified, or validated?

And then..a final question..do I want to be right..or do I want peace? 

Here is hoping I can meet you all on a beautiful field..let go of the past..live and learn..with patience and love.

Thanks for putting up with me all these years...You can't make up for time..so give yourself to love and live more fully.  Let go!

"From this darkness, set me free

With mortal eyes that cannot see.

A smaller part, of a greater plan

Known to Thee, believed by man"

~Lee~ (Thy Wonderous Plan)

The Apostle Paul, wrote that "in this life we see through a glass darkly". I think because of this we kling to belief, and live by "Faith, Love and Hope". This can often makes us feel stuck, or hanging on, unable to move forward, but I think instead it gives us something to hang on too. In that "field" there is little to hold on to but the grass, as our world spins ever faster. Fields are wonderful to run in, and in death, indeed to find peace. The Prophet Joseph was said, "cling close to the bark of the trees, least reaching for the limbs ye fall". However it is human nature to reach for the "limbs", and therein lies the turmoil. I just hope that I live long enough to have the wisdom to know where and when, I belong. I often fear that I am a deep thinker, with a shallow soul, only time will reveal which.

4 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

The Apostle Paul, wrote that "in this life we see through a glass darkly". I think because of this we kling to belief, and live by "Faith, Love and Hope". This can often makes us feel stuck, or hanging on, unable to move forward, but I think instead it gives us something to hang on too. In that "field" there is little to hold on to but the grass, as our world spins ever faster. Fields are wonderful to run in, and in death, indeed to find peace. The Prophet Joseph was said, "cling close to the bark of the trees, least reaching for the limbs ye fall". However it is human nature to reach for the "limbs", and therein lies the turmoil. I just hope that I live long enough to have the wisdom to know where and when, I belong. I often fear that I am a deep thinker, with a shallow soul, only time will reveal which.

Your post says so much about how I feel....thank you so much Papa..I will meet you on that field..please wave.:D

6 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Thank you Maidservant..thank you!! I listened to the whole thing! 

Um...if I may say...this guy is a fox!!

I loved that you said "fox" to describe, I use to use that word years ago, we belong to the same era!

Tonight I spoke with a neighbor that I hadn't for so long. She only lives a few houses down and I use to visit teach her many years ago. She's another that I thought wanted nothing to do with me.

Tonight I put out on our neighborhood FB private page that I needed a hardhat for my brother that is starting a job tomorrow. I offered to pay someone, because it was last minute. This neighbor immediately responded and brought one over that had been sitting there amongst an almost nearly empty home, she's moving out. Her home was sold almost before the photos were put up on the listing I guess. 

After speaking with her I guess she and her husband are getting divorced. All this time I hadn't known that she was going through quite alot. Here I am in my own little world feeling bad for myself.

She and I talked a long time, and she told me she couldn't stand to go to Relief Society sometimes and will usually skip it and go home. I guess it was hard for her to listen to some lessons. She mentioned that she had to fake a cough just to get up and leave during one lesson. 

She said she wished people would be more real, and not feel they have to put up a front, just be real. Wow, do I ever need to hear that. I learned a little lesson, and that is to just be myself. Maybe others out there need me to too. Maybe we all need to get a grip and just be!  

15 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I loved that you said "fox" to describe, I use to use that word years ago, we belong to the same era!

Tonight I spoke with a neighbor that I hadn't for so long. She only lives a few houses down and I use to visit teach her many years ago. She's another that I thought wanted nothing to do with me.

Tonight I put out on our neighborhood FB private page that I needed a hardhat for my brother that is starting a job tomorrow. I offered to pay someone, because it was last minute. This neighbor immediately responded and brought one over that had been sitting there amongst an almost nearly empty home, she's moving out. Her home was sold almost before the photos were put up on the listing I guess. 

After speaking with her I guess she and her husband are getting divorced. All this time I hadn't known that she was going through quite alot. Here I am in my own little world feeling bad for myself.

She and I talked a long time, and she told me she couldn't stand to go to Relief Society sometimes and will usually skip it and go home. I guess it was hard for her to listen to some le..ssons. She mentioned that she had to fake a cough just to get up and leave during one lesson. 

She said she wished people would be more real, and not feel they have to put up a front, just be real. Wow, do I ever need to hear that. I learned a little lesson, and that is to just be myself. Maybe others out there need me to too. Maybe we all need to get a grip and just be!  

I love you Tacenda...you are the realest person that I know..so honest.  We all just need to let go of the anger and the need to be right.  You and I are on the same field.  You find a way to learn from every experience you have...and I envy that.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:01 AM, Jeanne said:

The poet Rumi wrote, "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field.  I'll meet you there".

If the people there are beyond knowing what is right and wrong it sounds like a horrible place to be honest. I think I will pass on the invite. ;) 

11 hours ago, The Nehor said:

If the people there are beyond knowing what is right and wrong it sounds like a horrible place to be honest. I think I will pass on the invite. ;) 

I think there should be an emphasis on "beyond ideas", not "beyond knowing", as you misread in the poem. That changes everything.

Therefore, beyond ideas of right or wrong, everybody has their own idea of right or wrong. Maybe we could apply it to religion or belief in this case.

And everyone meet in the field not be on the other side of the fence not ever to meet just because they believe differently. 

14 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I understand this is your quick wit working for you.:P  But our actions should not be about being right or wrong..learning, listening and sharing is in my field so please come!!

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I think there should be an emphasis on "beyond ideas", not "beyond knowing", as you misread in the poem. That changes everything.

Therefore, beyond ideas of right or wrong, everybody has their own idea of right or wrong. Maybe we could apply it to religion or belief in this case.

And everyone meet in the field not be on the other side of the fence not ever to meet just because they believe differently. 

Thank you Tacenda.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:50 AM, Tacenda said:

Yes, but these people beyond the fence who have their own ideas on good and evil could be thieving murderous rapists with bad hygiene who actually like jello salad with shredded carrots. Best to stay away if you ask me. ;) 

7 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Yes, but these people beyond the fence who have their own ideas on good and evil could be thieving murderous rapists with bad hygiene who actually like jello salad with shredded carrots. Best to stay away if you ask me. ;) 

If there is funeral potatoes and deodorant, then I'm there! (me trying to be funny) :unsure:

Edited by Tacenda
On 7/31/2017 at 11:55 AM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I love your comment here.  It resonates with me.  I was speaking with some friends at Church today about how, as we get older, know so much less than we used to.  We start out with the idea of raising the perfect family.  We look around and realize other people are doing it wrong.  We will do it right, in so doing reach the Celestial Kingdom with no empty chairs.  Just follow the formula: Daily prayers, scripture study.  FHE every week.  Eagle Scout for the boys.  Missions all around.  Temple attendance, Temple marriages.  Grandchildren.  Success upon success.  We are doing it right, resulting in terribly sprained shoulder patting ourselves on the back.

One decides to leave.  I mean leave it all behind.  Then another. Estrangement.  Sadness.  No sleep.  Deep discouragement. Loss of functionality.  Depression.  Some remaining faithful family members move away to escape the drama.  Despondent at the loss.  Isolation.  Therapy.  Weekly Church Family Support Group meeting learning we are not alone in this.  

Years go by as we experience the healing power of the Atonement.  Things get better as we suffer long.  Answered prayers. The beginning of healing.  Hope returns.  A family reunion with almost everyone there.  But no more judging.  No. No judging, only love and gratitude.  Gratitude for agency. Gratitude and love for all, regardless of their choices as they navigate their own path to perfection in their own way.  Much listening, remembering happier times and drinking in THIS happy time.  THIS is that field, with silver linings all around. 

Is THIS the way God intended?  What do I know?  Not much anymore.  Only the Atonement of Jesus Christ is deep and real.  The Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ, is true.  I love God and my fellow beings with a deeper love than before the explosion nearly destroyed our picture perfect family.  And perhaps because of all that.  Anything else.... apologetics, deep thinking... I guess I enjoy reading it and pondering sometimes. But very little matters anymore, other than Christ, the Scriptures, and love for my sweet wife and all mankind.  My faith is very simple now.  I, too, feel like a shallow soul seeking out the lessons that feed MY soul on my own and only path.  

I love this poem, once quoted in a talk by President Hinckley:

The House by the Side of the Road

• THERE are hermit souls that live withdrawn
    In the place of their self-content;
    There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,
    In a fellowless firmament;
    There are pioneer souls that blaze the paths
    Where highways never ran-
    But let me live by the side of the road
    And be a friend to man.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road
    Where the race of men go by-
    The men who are good and the men who are bad,
    As good and as bad as I.
    I would not sit in the scorner's seat
    Nor hurl the cynic's ban-
    And be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road
    By the side of the highway of life,
    The men who press with the ardor of hope,
    The men who are faint with the strife,
    But I turn not away from their smiles and tears,
    Both parts of an infinite plan-
    And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead,
    And mountains of wearisome height;
    That the road passes on through the long afternoon
    And stretches away to the night.
    And still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice
    And weep with the strangers that moan,
    Nor live in my house by the side of the road
    Like a man who dwells alone.

Let me live in my house by the side of the road,
    Where the race of men go by-
    They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
    Wise, foolish - so am I.
    Then why should I sit in the scorner's seat,
    Or hurl the cynic's ban?
    Let me live in my house by the side of the road
    And be a friend to man.

Sam Walter Foss

I think this poem must be what Jeanne is talking about in this thread.

In closing, may I recite the prayer we recite in our weekly meeting.  The second stanza is rife with meaning for me.

Serenity Prayer

- Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can; 
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; 
enjoying one moment at a time; 
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will; 
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next. 
Amen.
Edited by Meerkat
On 8/1/2017 at 10:26 PM, The Nehor said:

Take the invite.  Jesus did.  And lives of self righteous sin and sorrow were transformed, like mine.  And probably yours. These two stanzas of Longfellow's Psalm of Life eloquently make the case for you to accept the invitation.  You never know when you will make a difference for the better in someone's life.

Lives of great men all remind us 
   We can make our lives sublime, 
And, departing, leave behind us 
   Footprints on the sands of time; 

Footprints, that perhaps another, 
   Sailing o’er life’s solemn main, 
A forlorn and shipwrecked brother, 
   Seeing, shall take heart again. 

Let us, then, be up and doing, 
   With a heart for any fate; 
Still achieving, still pursuing, 
   Learn to labor and to wait.

And Nehor, notwithstanding my distaste for jello salad with shredded carrots, I will meet with most anyone in that field any time!   ☺
Edited by Meerkat