Pianos, Dysfunction, Malice, and Vindication

USU78

Thank you for this post.  I'm glad you were able to surprise your daughter in such a happy way.  My guess is that in time, your son-in-law will also come to appreciate the long-lasting pleasure and sheer joy this piano will bring into their home.  I'm a very mediocre musician myself, and yet music (all kinds) has a way of "drawing me out and tuning me in" when other things fail.

That's awesome!  I had to go quite a few years without a piano and could only practice at the church.  Then I had a clunky upright for quite a while.  My husband surprised me for Christmas with a pretty digital piano.  It's pretty cool, but some keys need to be repaired already.  I think some children pounded on it and broke the hammers.  Anyway, so happy for your daughter!  

46 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

I'm guessing she's playing/singing a song that goes kinda like this...

Great story. Thx for sharing, U.

Yup.  Indeed.

3 hours ago, USU78 said:

My oldest girl, now the mother of a 4 year old (this Saturday) is a piano artist.  She's not one of those pound it out accompanists that one hears in a typical ward, but an artist with great touch who feels the music from head to toe as she plays.  She also has perfect pitch and is a good mezzo.

Her late mother left her her Chickering spinet, which was stored at my Farmington home when she got married a few months before her mother's death back in 2011.  When she was moving out of campus housing into a larger apartment, she and her husband came down to pick up her things, including the piano.  I was shutting down the Farmington house after my remarriage and we needed to get the Chickering sorted, as there was no room in my 2nd wife's home (she had/has a baby grand).  When they arrived for the move, her new husband refused to load the piano up.  He was too concerned about Lord knows what.  I was furious.  She was brokenhearted.  He never understood and doesn't now understand how important the piano is to her.  We ended up selling it for her and, naturally, she used the money to pay bills.

Anyway, moving on, after welcoming her into her home during courtship (including giving her leave to play any time on her piano), her mother-in-law cut her off from being able to play/practice on her piano.  Never any explanation.

When my mother died a year ago (my father had died 1-1/2 years earlier), an old family piano, which passed from my great aunt to my grandmother (her sister) to my father, was up for grabs.  Two of my brothers agreed to use their bids on the piano to support my attempt to win it for my daughter (a 3 in 5 chance  ---  good odds, yes?), but my troubled antiMormon brother ended up winning the drawing.  I attempted to buy the piano from him and made good faith, higher-than-market-value, but he, after dangling lines in the water to create maximum drama, finally made it clear he didn't care about my daughter and her lost inherited piano.  I withdrew all offers and had to give my daughter the bad news that I was unable to win her that piano.

My other two brothers a week later donated their shares from the proceeds of the sale of my mother's coin collection which, together with my share, made a nice sum towards the purchase of a piano.

But we had to wait, as my daughter's husband kept talking about moving to Alaska or Colorado.  His perfectly good job as a civilian contractor for the Air Force at Hill wasn't enough to his liking, apparently.  So we waited.

Last week he got the news that he landed his dream job  ...  a 10 minute walk from their house.

So I started shopping.  And found a late '20s-era upright, which my musician brother inspected and recommended for purchase.

I made excuses for her to need to stay at her home this morning with an envelope for a client that would be coming by (it had the purchase price in cash in it), and I arranged to have the mover/tuner deliver this morning, and the seller drop by to pick up payment at the same time.

It came off without a hitch (though my daughter tried at the last minute to reschedule because she wanted to get her oil changed).  She's still sobbing and laughing by turns with joy a couple of hours later, gushing on facebook, playing and singing at the top of her lungs.

A good day.

I thought I would share.

It seems one of the unavoidable realities of life on this fallen planet is that too many of us get older and older looking on the outside while remaining selfish, immature adolescents on the inside. 

1 minute ago, Bobbieaware said:

It seems one of the unavoidable realities of life on this fallen planet is that too many of us get older and older looking on the outside while remaining selfish, immature adolescents on the inside. 

{sigh}  Yeah.

1 hour ago, hagoth7 said:

Luv 'em.

Be grateful for them. 

I have gotten thru previous challenges in large measure *because of* the good/great things family has taught me thru word/encouragement/support and thru good example,

They are amazing people.

Edited by hagoth7
On 7/26/2017 at 10:45 AM, USU78 said:

My oldest girl, now the mother of a 4 year old (this Saturday) is a piano artist.  She's not one of those pound it out accompanists that one hears in a typical ward, but an artist with great touch who feels the music from head to toe as she plays.  She also has perfect pitch and is a good mezzo.

Her late mother left her her Chickering spinet, which was stored at my Farmington home when she got married a few months before her mother's death back in 2011.  When she was moving out of campus housing into a larger apartment, she and her husband came down to pick up her things, including the piano.  I was shutting down the Farmington house after my remarriage and we needed to get the Chickering sorted, as there was no room in my 2nd wife's home (she had/has a baby grand).  When they arrived for the move, her new husband refused to load the piano up.  He was too concerned about Lord knows what.  I was furious.  She was brokenhearted.  He never understood and doesn't now understand how important the piano is to her.  We ended up selling it for her and, naturally, she used the money to pay bills.

Anyway, moving on, after welcoming her into her home during courtship (including giving her leave to play any time on her piano), her mother-in-law cut her off from being able to play/practice on her piano.  Never any explanation.

When my mother died a year ago (my father had died 1-1/2 years earlier), an old family piano, which passed from my great aunt to my grandmother (her sister) to my father, was up for grabs.  Two of my brothers agreed to use their bids on the piano to support my attempt to win it for my daughter (a 3 in 5 chance  ---  good odds, yes?), but my troubled antiMormon brother ended up winning the drawing.  I attempted to buy the piano from him and made good faith, higher-than-market-value, but he, after dangling lines in the water to create maximum drama, finally made it clear he didn't care about my daughter and her lost inherited piano.  I withdrew all offers and had to give my daughter the bad news that I was unable to win her that piano.

My other two brothers a week later donated their shares from the proceeds of the sale of my mother's coin collection which, together with my share, made a nice sum towards the purchase of a piano.

But we had to wait, as my daughter's husband kept talking about moving to Alaska or Colorado.  His perfectly good job as a civilian contractor for the Air Force at Hill wasn't enough to his liking, apparently.  So we waited.

Last week he got the news that he landed his dream job  ...  a 10 minute walk from their house.

So I started shopping.  And found a late '20s-era upright, which my musician brother inspected and recommended for purchase.

I made excuses for her to need to stay at her home this morning with an envelope for a client that would be coming by (it had the purchase price in cash in it), and I arranged to have the mover/tuner deliver this morning, and the seller drop by to pick up payment at the same time.

It came off without a hitch (though my daughter tried at the last minute to reschedule because she wanted to get her oil changed).  She's still sobbing and laughing by turns with joy a couple of hours later, gushing on facebook, playing and singing at the top of her lungs.

A good day.

I thought I would share.

Oh wow...what a road to take for your daughter and a piano.  This is awesome...though there was some great obstacles there..I am so happy for her and that she has such an awesome father.  This.  Is what love is.  I hope every note is a part of her remembering you and her mother.  Hugs..Jeanne

What a wonderful, heart-rending story of the desire to gift a child the thing that sets her heart free and the vicissitudes of life and family.  Even our most beloved can have a hard heart/closed mind to those things that would bring the greatest joy.  Would that it would only take a kick in the pants to open their eyes, but that is not the way.  Through long ordeals and many challenges love, respect, and desire overcome all.  I am so very happy for both of you.