Question about rights and such.

Can a work have both copyleft (for noncommercial use, to stir more pots) and copyright (for all other use) protection?

A commons area (to encourage use and discourage piracy...cue: eye on the Jack Sparrow), and a marketplace (to encourage those who might want to negotiate limited rights to make worthwhile derivatives - films, etc, their investors knowing that such investments/efforts would be protected)?

It would seem that a community would be better served if both are allowed. A simple two step. Is such the case?

Edited by hagoth7

Private property and the right to control and benefit from it underpines all of our government and way of life.   There is such a thing as fair use (portions, not the whole), and copyright expires after a time, so as not to impeded innovation.   I think fair use covers everything that needs to be covered.

On 7/20/2017 at 2:46 PM, rpn said:

Private property and the right to control and benefit from it underpines all of our government and way of life.   There is such a thing as fair use (portions, not the whole), and copyright expires after a time, so as not to impeded innovation.   I think fair use covers everything that needs to be covered.

I don't.

The "fair use" clause is a problem because it is largely undefined. And few have/need time to review the gray areas.

The kind of people that I would prefer to see the things I've written used more freely by are those who would otherwise over-politely take/use too small of a portion. (They wouldn't want to impose or overstep.). I want to remedy that.

Meanwhile, other kinds *likely would* overstep fair use. Would prefer to remedy that too.

I prefer the distinction of the commons to be *very* clearly defined.

Which is why I prefer to copyleft it for the former who wish to profit from it (minus the mammom).

And copyright it to invite negotiation from/with those who wish to profit from it (financially).

Can one legally do both? Copyleft AND copyright the same intellectual property?

Edited by hagoth7
5 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

Can one legally do both? Copyleft AND copyright the same intellectual property?

And if not, why the hell not?

And what would it take...to change that?

Hmm. Nullification. A great suggestion from a friend here in another legal matter, just a few days ago.

Might just be the ticket for this as well.

Declaring/exercising independence....that I can do with my own intellectual property whatever *I* deem appropriate.

Seeking to become a law unto myself....gasp. Or to reclaim what our fathers had. You choose.

I never ceded that right to backdoor deals between attorneys and legislators anywho.

Central to the principles in the declaration of independence...and the constitution...and those tricksy Braveheart/Arbroath Scots who influenced them.  Pot stirrers. ;0)

That does it, the things I've written/published, are hereby copyleft released for non-commercial use for all such who deem that fair. (My heirs and I will be the arbiter of that...if someone's fudging the issue and using what I've written as a snowplow to promote their own career/business.)

Copyright for everything else - meaning what *I and my heirs* happen to deem fair use on commercial efforts might be much more strict than others' take on things. No pun intended.

71FX265SKNL.gif

So let it be written, so let it run up the flagpole.

(The graphic is a shot across the bow., with a wee bit of topspin, that perhaps only intellectual property attorneys will get, and appropriately so.)

Edited by hagoth7