Seriously No Politics ×

Another toddler dies in a hot car.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/3-year-old-boy-left-in-hot-car-dies

Slow down people!

I think this deserves some discussion on this board because in this case (like a couple of weeks ago) the death happened at a family reunion with a lot of kids. Car hopping can lead to parents losing track of children. Don't ever assume that somebody else made sure your child got out. Sometimes a child falls asleep in the car and is quiet upon arrival. Your child is more important than any reunion activity.

Mods: if you feel this is inappropriate, I understand.

It is horribly sad. I know the parents will forever be haunted by this. I can't even imagine the guilt I would carry if it were my child. I made it a rule never to leave my child in the car - not even with the window down, unless one of use stayed in the car, the kids always came inside with us.  We only had three, but we also did regular self-checks to make sure everyone was with us. I never left that responsibility to anyone else.

Stats show that almost 40 kids die from heat stroke in vehicles each year. That is very sad , particularly because it is so preventable. On the other hand , stats also show that about 2000 children die from abuse and/or neglect each year. Even Christ was willing to pronounce harsh judgment on those guilty of such.

This rarely happened in the older days

1. kids were in the front seat usually in Moms arms and not belted into a car seat in the rear of the car

2. All but the most expensive cars had manual windows

3. Few people locked their cars or had their windows rolled up (air conditioning was very rare) when parked anywhere.

- - - - 

If (in the 60's) I was misbehaving in a store or restaurant, etc, I was always sent out to the car. Can you imagine the uproar today if that happened?

3 hours ago, mnn727 said:

...If (in the 60's) I was misbehaving in a store or restaurant, etc, I was always sent out to the car. Can you imagine the uproar today if that happened?

Earlier, it was kinda hard to overheat waiting in the buckboard wagon. Or twiddling your thumbs on horseback.

Not belittling the family's loss. Simply saying, as you apparently are, that some of the things we view as advances sometimes come at a cost. They can trap us in.

Given the choice, I would buy a manual window rolldown option vs. the now-almost- required elecdtric window option any day. But few sell them.  The former is also a more sure way out of if a car ends up in deep water. 

Edited by hagoth7
3 hours ago, mnn727 said:

1. kids were in the front seat usually in Moms arms and not belted into a car seat in the rear of the car

Dangerous in its own way unfortunately

12 minutes ago, Calm said:

Not as many got rushed to the village doctor when one horse bumped into another.

I'm guessing the health premiums were a wee bit more affordable too.

Edited by hagoth7

You would be surprised how deadly horses can be. Not counting runaways, about 20,000 people in New York City died pre-auto era , from horse born disease/manure.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I still occasionally see moms driving with a baby on the lap acting as an organic air bag. Mystifying !!

19 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Stats show that almost 40 kids die from heat stroke in vehicles each year. That is very sad , particularly because it is so preventable. On the other hand , stats also show that about 2000 children die from abuse and/or neglect each year. Even Christ was willing to pronounce harsh judgment on those guilty of such.

Today I heard on the news that the woman in St. George, Utah, that locked her son in the bathroom for a year and barely fed him has now plead guilty. That just sickens me. I hope that young man will find a family to care for him and hopefully repair the damage that has been done. 

Then today I heard about a police dog that was left in a vehicle and died. I guess the officer has been moved to a different job in law enforcement. The heat in Utah is just unending, I hope we don't see anymore of this. Are those stats of 40 kids in Utah alone? 

3 hours ago, strappinglad said:

You would be surprised how deadly horses can be. Not counting runaways, about 20,000 people in New York City died pre-auto era , from horse born disease/manure.

From what little I've read of epidemics and migrations and farm vs. city living, I'd venture to guess it was more because people living in cities hadn't devloped the immunities you build up as a child by simply living on a farm in contact  with animals.

That European socieities had gorwn up with animals in their actual homes , while First Peoples/Nations supposedly had not (generally hunted game, instead of domesticating) ,whch is supposedly why the germs that didn't phase the Europeans completely decimated America when they arrived. 

I still occasionally see moms driving with a baby on the lap acting as an organic air bag. Mystifying !!

Or hungry crying baby that wouldn't othewise be consoled? (I'm that way sometimes)

17 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Then today I heard about a police dog that was left in a vehicle and died. I guess the officer has been moved to a different job in law enforcement. The heat in Utah is just unending, I hope we don't see anymore of this. Are those stats of 40 kids in Utah alone? 

That's what happens with an officer who is deemed an embarrassment. They're simply transferred to another precinct. Not unlike the Catholic issue with children where offenders were just shuffled to another diocese. The problem is never owned and addressed and resolved. 

Not claiming an officer should lose their career over a single mistake. But when there are problems in that career (we really gotta stop calling it "the force" in and out of that field...if some of the challenges are gonna be mitigated) , simply shipping the unresolved person to another community is a disservice to the community that was harmed, and the receiving community that has an unresolved submarine problem pawned off on them. (My new town knows exactly how they feel - asking the last 3 or 4 towns why they didn't fix me before shipping their problem-child here.)

How does one segregate the bad apples like me, in any overly-protective industry, help them heal/rehabilitate (as Joseph taught in his presidential platform) before reintegrating them into society where they can best contribute rather than cause more ruckus? Isn't the best way to protect one's own to genuinely help them address issues, resolve/heal, and find if that field is still appropriate for them and the community? ANd if not, rather than shp them to another community, own the solution and retrain them for something at least equally useful/meaningful for t hem?

/soapbox   (for at least 12 seconds this time)

46 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

Or hungry crying baby that wouldn't othewise be consoled? (I'm that way sometimes)

The riposte was intended as a punnish admission that I sometimes do act like a baby, and probably just need to hold or be held, as a pastor friend once offered to a troubled man over dinner. 

Reminds me of a news report perhaps 1.5 years ago,, of a troubled man on a subway, that was making a ruckus and embarassing everyone else and making them uncomfortable. A woman simply reached out and held his hand. And he instantly calmed, and then some. Afterwards, if I may paraphrase, she basically explained why she reached out, Well I'm a mother. And that's what I would have wanted someone to do for my son."

Hoping I can extrovert at one point, and if see someone in need, can reach out to calm/comfort.

Cue Casting Crowns; 

Edited by hagoth7
53 minutes ago, hagoth7 said:

That's what happens with an officer who is deemed an embarrassment. They're simply transferred to another precinct. Not unlike the Catholic issue with children where offenders were just shuffled to another diocese. The problem is never owned and addressed and resolved. 

Not claiming an officer should lose their career over a single mistake. But when there are problems in that career (we really gotta stop calling it "the force" in and out of that field...if some of the challenges are gonna be mitigated) , simply shipping the unresolved person to another community is a disservice to the community that was harmed, and the receiving community that has an unresolved submarine problem pawned off on them. (My new town knows exactly how they feel - asking the last 3 or 4 towns why they didn't fix me before shipping their problem-child here.)

How does one segregate the bad apples like me, in any overly-protective industry, help them heal/rehabilitate (as Joseph taught in his presidential platform) before reintegrating them into society where they can best contribute rather than cause more ruckus? Isn't the best way to protect one's own to genuinely help them address issues, resolve/heal, and find if that field is still appropriate for them and the community? ANd if not, rather than shp them to another community, own the solution and retrain them for something at least equally useful/meaningful for t hem?

/soapbox   (for at least 12 seconds this time)

Soapbox away Hagoth7! I can't imagine shipping you off to somewhere else, their loss. :(

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Soapbox away Hagoth7! I can't imagine shipping you off to somewhere else, their loss. :(

Most of the places I've been kicked out of were, in hindsight, likely for show...intentionaly to test, try, and benefit me. What doesn't kill ya. At least that's how I'm choosing to see it now...given some breathing/objective space. (Was frustrated about it in times past.) Hoping I got at least a C- average. Midterms were lkely much lower...if we've reached them already.

The only situation that fully fits the ticket of being shipped off was being outlawed by West Virginia in 2011. Before they released me...after 9 months of solitary and a couple months of confinement elsewhere...they did so only on the agreement that  I sign a document saying I'd never return to the state. Who knows, I mIght have signed a document saying I was a mallard duck, or preferably an otter, if given the chance to finally see my kids. So...outlaw there.

One state down, 49 to go. ;0)  

On a completely separate matter, the darn outdoor concert last week sang "Almost Heaven." Sneaky hobitses.

Edited by hagoth7
9 hours ago, hagoth7 said:

Most of the places I've been kicked out of were, in hindsight, likely for show...intentionaly to test, try, and benefit me. What doesn't kill ya. At least that's how I'm choosing to see it now...given some breathing/objective space. (Was frustrated about it in times past.) Hoping I got at least a C- average. Midterms were lkely much lower...if we've reached them already.

The only situation that fully fits the ticket of being shipped off was being outlawed by West Virginia in 2011. Before they released me...after 9 months of solitary and a couple months of confinement elsewhere...they did so only on the agreement that  I sign a document saying I'd never return to the state. Who knows, I mIght have signed a document saying I was a mallard duck, or preferably an otter, if given the chance to finally see my kids. So...outlaw there.

One state down, 49 to go. ;0)  

On a completely separate matter, the darn outdoor concert last week sang "Almost Heaven." Sneaky hobitses.

Good ole' Johnny Denver, I'll never forget singing that song in 7th grade choir. :)

On 7/18/2017 at 0:38 AM, strappinglad said:

Don't forget gun deaths, which is the 3rd leading cause of death for children (17 and younger)

.....just saying

With luv,

BD

Today in Utah, a three year old child was riding a lower height bike, and was hit by the neighbor as they were pulling out of the driveway. I hear this happening several times a year. We really do need to keep our eyes open at all times, for children & animals left in cars to children & animals in the road.

I do want to mention the situation about the K9. This happened I believe, on July 3rd, this officer had come home and immediately went to a family get together, most likely surrounding the 4th of July holiday. I think this was a moment of pure forgetfulness because of someone having a lot on their mind getting ready to go somewhere, so not a normal routine. I'm pretty sure he loved his partner and otherwise took care of his dog and was probably a human mistake. But I could be wrong and he didn't take real good care of the dog. But leaving that option open. 

About the children left in cars, it's hard for me to imagine ever leaving a child in the car and forgetting about them, but in the case with the family in Vegas that are from Idaho, I'm thinking the excitement of getting together for a family reunion played a huge part. I'll bet the parents thought the child was with one of the older children/cousin or something like that. 

When I was around 4 or 5, my parents left me behind at my aunt's house and headed home three hours away. I was in a back room playing with the barbie dolls. When my aunt came in she was shocked I was still there. Her son was a policeman and she had him take me in the cop car and go after them. They hadn't gotten that far away, I believe. I have 6 children in my family and usually my dad drives. This time my mother drove and maybe that's why I got left behind. Just one of those times when the parents aren't all there or on top of it. Glad they didn't leave me behind in a gas station restroom or anything. :angry:

Edited by Tacenda

What a horrible tragedy.  At a family reunion, they would be so excited to see their relatives, and they would probably be carrying food, coolers, camping chairs, etc.  One parent thinks the other parent got the child out and the other thinks the same.  We went into my mom's house one time and it was a short time later when I asked my husband where our daughter was. He said, "Oh, you didn't get her?"  I assumed he would because she was on his side of the car and that's what we do the majority of the time.  I don't know how long it would have taken him to notice she wasn't in the house.  When I'm out with my kids, I'm constantly counting all of them.  

I just read yesterday about the woman who left her one-year-old in the car on purpose while she got her hair done for 6 hours.  She left the car running so the AC would work, but it ran out of gas.  When she asked someone to help her start her car, she covered her daughter with clothes to hide her, googled "signs of seizures" and then called 911.  She tried to pretend her daughter had had a seizure, but authorities pieced together the facts and doctors knew the little girl had been dead longer than what the mom claimed.  Absolutely disgusting.  She has been charged with second degree murder.  What a horrible way to die.  :(  

51 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

What a horrible tragedy.  At a family reunion, they would be so excited to see their relatives, and they would probably be carrying food, coolers, camping chairs, etc.  One parent thinks the other parent got the child out and the other thinks the same.  We went into my mom's house one time and it was a short time later when I asked my husband where our daughter was. He said, "Oh, you didn't get her?"  I assumed he would because she was on his side of the car and that's what we do the majority of the time.  I don't know how long it would have taken him to notice she wasn't in the house.  When I'm out with my kids, I'm constantly counting all of them.  

I just read yesterday about the woman who left her one-year-old in the car on purpose while she got her hair done for 6 hours.  She left the car running so the AC would work, but it ran out of gas.  When she asked someone to help her start her car, she covered her daughter with clothes to hide her, googled "signs of seizures" and then called 911.  She tried to pretend her daughter had had a seizure, but authorities pieced together the facts and doctors knew the little girl had been dead longer than what the mom claimed.  Absolutely disgusting.  She has been charged with second degree murder.  What a horrible way to die.  :(  

Sickening...I try not to think of all the child abuse that goes on out there. It's unbearable. 

On 7/18/2017 at 9:10 PM, strappinglad said:

40 in all of the US Tacenda.

Yeah, this is tragic when it happens but we should not pretend it is an epidemic. Obviously when it happens to someone it is a tragedy but this kind of death is like a shark attack. Incredibly rare but the news loves it and publishes it. 

Compare this to the every day in the United States child death statistics:

4 dead from abuse or neglect.
6 dead by suicide.
7 killed by guns either intentionally or accidentally.
21 dead from accidents of all kinds.

It is weird. I know of a case in my area where a toddler was just beaten nearly to death. Could not find a news story on it at all.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, this is tragic when it happens but we should not pretend it is an epidemic. Obviously when it happens to someone it is a tragedy but this kind of death is like a shark attack. Incredibly rare but the news loves it and publishes it. 

Compare this to the every day in the United States child death statistics:

4 dead from abuse or neglect.
6 dead by suicide.
7 killed by guns either intentionally or accidentally.
21 dead from accidents of all kinds.

It is weird. I know of a case in my area where a toddler was just beaten nearly to death. Could not find a news story on it at all.

:(