Seriously No Politics ×

Salvation

Ashley

Luke 2:25-32

25 And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon;
and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel:
and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
26 And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost,
that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.
27 And he came by the Spirit into the temple:
and when the parents brought in the child Jesus [Yeshuah],
to do for him after the custom of the law,
28 Then took he him up in his arms,
and blessed God, and said,
29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:
30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation [yeshuah],
31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
32 A light to lighten the Gentiles,
and the glory of thy people Israel.

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Could you please tell me what is the best verse that deals with salvation?

I have a truly wonderful Baptist neighbor who believes that all those who have died without hearing of and accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior in this life are condemned to eternity burning in Hell.  That view does not reflect the character of the God I worship.  It is not fair in my opinion, or accurate.

Your request for the "best" verse is a very tall order.  I can't do it in only one verse.  Perhaps someone else can.  Here are four passages that I believe reflect Heavenly Father's mercy beautifully, as He offers Salvation to every child who ever lived:

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just (Christ) for the unjust (us,) that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water."

1 Peter 4:6-

6 "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit."

After reading those passages in the King James version of the Bible, a prophet of God, Joseph F. Smith, pondered them and received this revelation in Doctrine and Covenants 138:31-35:

31 "And the chosen messengers went forth to declare the acceptable day of the Lord and proclaim liberty to the captives who were bound, even unto all who would repent of their sins and receive the gospel.
32 Thus was the gospel preached to those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets.
33 These were taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands,
34 And all other principles of the gospel that were necessary for them to know in order to qualify themselves that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
35 And so it was made known among the dead, both small and great, the unrighteous as well as the faithful, that redemption had been wrought through the sacrifice of the Son of God upon the cross."

Verses 33 and 34 speak of sacred Temple ordinances to be given to people in Noah's day (or even our day,) on condition of repentance, "who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets."

That is what I call Mercy.  That is what I call Charity and Love.

And for those of us who have beloved family members who have wandered, I take comfort in this verse from the Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ:

2 Nephi 10:2

2  "For behold, the promises which we have obtained are promises unto us according to the flesh; wherefore, as it has been shown unto me that many of our children shall perish in the flesh because of unbelief, nevertheless, God will be merciful unto many; and our children shall be restored, that they may come to that which will give them the true knowledge of their Redeemer."

Edited by Meerkat

Perhaps Alma 26:15

"Yea, they were encircled about with everlasting darkness and destruction; but behold, he has brought them into his everlasting blight, yea, into everlasting salvation; and they are encircled about with the matchless bounty of his love."

Alma 5:10

"And now I ask of you on what conditions are they saved? Yea, what grounds had they to hope for salvation? What is the cause of their being loosed from the bands of death, yea, and also the chains of hell?"

I like these because they come the closest to describing what actually constitutes salvation.  Mosiah 5:8 uses the word 'free', also like that one. 2 Thessalonians points to sanctification and belief.

I like Mosiah 5, especially 5-9

"5 And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days, that we may not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment, as has been spoken by the angel, that we may not drink out of the cup of the wrath of God.

6 And now, these are the words which king Benjamin desired of them; and therefore he said unto them: Ye have spoken the words that I desired; and the covenant which ye have made is a righteous covenant.

7 And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters.

8 And under this head ye are made free, and there is noother head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.

9 And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ."