Seriously No Politics ×

most incredible missionary story

7 minutes ago, juliann said:

He will accept that a reporter did " his journalistic responsibility" if he did what DB says to do? That is not questioning the newspaper, Hagoth.  He has made up a nonexistent "journalistic responsibility" and then challenged Scott to defend himself. What do you think the conclusion is when the demand is framed in that manner and Scott doesn't do as ordered? Not. Cool. 

I take it that you and Scott know each other well, and that you're more familiar with DB than I am. So you may have the more accurate bead on things here. But I lack that vantage point.

So for now, I simply opt to take the OP at face value, that the credibility of the entire newspaper was being called into question. If so, *that* ain't cool.

DB?

Edited by hagoth7
1 hour ago, DBMormon said:

http://www.mormonlight.org/2017/06/30/elder-holland-shares-one-incredible-missionary-stories-time/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865683974/The-divine-companionship-includes-the-Holy-Ghost-in-missionary-work-Elder-Holland-says.html

Can Scott verify that he as a journalist has ensured these are real people on the other end of this story?  It sounds as though Elder Holland did not share names and Scott took his word for it.  Curious how we go about ensuring the story took place the way the article says it did.  

I find the story as told in the deseret news to be unbelievable and would like to verify this story being based in a factual account.  How do I do that?   Certainly before we put such a story in a credible newspaper we would do some due diligence and ensure the story is based in historical fact.

I am thinking of how many times I have claimed details that I wouldn't share the end source for them and how many here including Scott gave me a hard time for such.

Is this a story we simply need faith to believe or is there any responsibility on the part of a real Newspaper to fact check stories or just publish hearsay (maybe true or maybe not)?

This has little to do with my trust of Elder Holland but rather whether such stories would ever come out of a credible newspaper in this form?

Is the message any less true if Scott didn't verify it?

I would take Scott's word that he did his journalistic responsibility and verified the story through the actual participants

Why would you believe the actual participants if you can't trust those who relayed their story?  Wouldn't you require proof from them as well? 

30 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

The LDS Church News is a biased sourced, so one would expect it to take Elder Holland's word at face value.  Please don't misunderstand me; when I say it is biased, I'm saying it is supporting the LDS church.  I'm not saying it is bad.  There is nothing wrong with it since it is an official publication of the LDS church.  In fact, at the end of the article, there is this disclaimer:

L'Osservatore Romano is the official newspaper of The Vatican, and you can be sure that it is biased towards the Catholic Church.  But that's ok, too, because it is in the same category as the LDS Church News.

So, from my point-of-view, the OP is rather silly.

ETA: I notice that the Oxford comma is missing in that disclaimer... Scott, ignore the silliness of the OP and weigh in on your thoughts on the Oxford comma.  Is it against the LDS Church News style guide?  I'm a big fan of that comma... ;)

I've grown to like it as well. 

19 minutes ago, Calm said:

Which means DB is defining what Scott's journalistic responsibility is...if he didn't verify it through the actual participants, he failed DB's standard.

Knowing Scott, I'm sure he was thorough.  I really interpret what DB said as he trusts Scott.

Can Scott verify that he as a journalist has ensured these are real people on the other end of this story?  It sounds as though Elder Holland did not share names and Scott took his word for it.  Curious how we go about ensuring the story took place the way the article says it did.

The article is re[porting on Elder Holland's remarks at the seminar. Is Scott supposed to verify that what he reported is reported by a real person?

7 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I even have in my HP group a former long-time Hell's Angel who also became our beloved ward bishop -- a wonderful man who may even know that prodigal guy mentioned by Elder Holland (I'll ask him about it tomorrow).

While you're at it, ask him if he ever hung around the Grateful Dead scene. There was a strange mix of Dead and Hell's Angels in the 60s and 70s that lingered on a bit into the 80s.

49 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Scott,

I have a suggestion for you. Please contact this family and write a piece for MormonTimes. Talk about a faith promoting story. It would be amazing to publish this account and would be an inspiration for so many.

I have relatives who still work the family farm in Pocatello which was originally purchased in 1907. They have deep roots in Southern Idaho and they would love to learn more about this story and the family involved.

Thanks

According to the write-up, Elder Holland was very clear that the people would remain anonymous. I would assume that was at their request. 

I don't doubt the main components of the story actually happened.  With 75,000 missionaries meeting thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of people each year, one should expect some incredible coincidences / miracles such as this to occur.

What I find unbelievable is that stories such as these are so rare that it made the Deseret News (and making the rounds on social media).  With God leading and guiding his missionaries why don't we hear about these miraculous stories all the time?

3 hours ago, omni said:

I don't doubt the main components of the story actually happened.  With 75,000 missionaries meeting thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of people each year, one should expect some incredible coincidences / miracles such as this to occur.

What I find unbelievable is that stories such as these are so rare that it made the Deseret News (and making the rounds on social media).  With God leading and guiding his missionaries why don't we hear about these miraculous stories all the time?

I think they exist but you're right they are not always a) easy to find, and b) believable. I read one account similar to this in a book by Elder Gerald Lund about a missionary in Brazil that gets sent to a mission in Brazil and IIRC the first door they knock on is some long lost sibling. I find some stories easier to believe than others. 

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

Any posters here who used to be hard-core Mormon (TBM, whatever that means), went on a mission, had experiences like this, but aren't really Mormon anymore?

I'd be interested in hearing how they would interpret those experiences now.

I would like to ask this of Sidney Rigdon , or for that matter Oliver Cowdrey , even though he did eventually return to the flock in Utah. Hey , even Peter was a bit shaky at first despite all the miracles he witnessed. The natural man can sure get in the way sometimes.

9 hours ago, DBMormon said:

http://www.mormonlight.org/2017/06/30/elder-holland-shares-one-incredible-missionary-stories-time/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865683974/The-divine-companionship-includes-the-Holy-Ghost-in-missionary-work-Elder-Holland-says.html

I find the story as told in the deseret news to be unbelievable and would like to verify this story being based in a factual account.  How do I do that?   Certainly before we put such a story in a credible newspaper we would do some due diligence and ensure the story is based in historical fact.

I am thinking of how many times I have claimed details that I wouldn't share the end source for them and how many here including Scott gave me a hard time for such.

Is this a story we simply need faith to believe or is there any responsibility on the part of a real Newspaper to fact check stories or just publish hearsay (maybe true or maybe not)?

This has little to do with my trust of Elder Holland but rather whether such stories would ever come out of a credible newspaper in this form?

DB;

You're just as skeptical and play victim as ever. You are consistant. 

6 hours ago, juliann said:

According to the write-up, Elder Holland was very clear that the people would remain anonymous. I would assume that was at their request. 

That is probable. Just tonight I gave a Lyft ride from Bush Intercontinental Airport to Downtown Houston and dhe happened to be one of the producers for HBO's Silicon Valley. I intentionally asked and verified what I may divulge to people. She said her name and title and I still chose not to divulge her name publicly just to make sure her privacy is protected. It was still a thrill to have her in my car. 

13 hours ago, rpn said:

I see the story as a rare event, but I have personally had experiences that others would deem miraculous, so I don't doubt, or insist on footnotes and sourcing in order to believe such stories.

Indeed. In many ways, reactions to stories such as this often reveal more about an individual's personal experiences than anything else. These personal experiences create a matrix of expectations that frames what we tend to deem 'credible' or 'incredible' from others.