Seriously No Politics ×

Coffee

This is more of a culture question, would I get dirty looks if I was downing starbucks coffee and tossed the cup in the trash before I walked into sacrament?  I keep forgetting LDS faithful hate coffee and almost did that once, ended up sitting in the car and finishing it up there. 

Don't judge me, I love my liquid crack ;_;

I don't know.
Would you get dirty looks chowing down on a bacon sandwich outside a synagogue?

Do the dirty looks matter?  Wouldn't being respectful of the place you are entering be a bigger concern?

Mmmm...now I want a bacon butty.
1ef88b_debbaf286d034a789d8bef2db3f0d598.

Edited by JLHPROF
Just now, JLHPROF said:

I don't know.

Do the dirty looks matter?  Wouldn't being respectful of the place you are entering be a bigger concern?

Lol dude I know plenty of jews who love their bacon,  Myself being part German I looove my pork. 

Hence why I'm asking here, I drink a bunch in the morning and used to have a niiice espresso machine.  At least I try to be respectful.

Mormons don't hate coffee --- most have never tasted it.  But they might see it as an in your face thing if people bring it to church with them (specially if they don't know you are not a member).

In fact, we don't even know why we don't drink it, except that is how the hot drinks language is interpreted.   Members have been fond of speculating, and for years the most was about the caffeine.  But caffeine isn't banned and decaffeinated coffee is also the banned "coffee".

Wonder whether you'd feel better after you detoxed from coffee (clearly not the several weeks during which you are detoxing: anyone who's quit drinking sodas will tell you that)?

BTW:  It is also not a sin to violate the word of wisdom, and no church discipline can be done for doing so.   (Members may think that pulling a temple recomment is discipline, but it isn't.  And yes, bishops sometimes pull TR's for word of wisdom violations.)

Edited by rpn
14 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I don't know.

........I want one of those...

2 minutes ago, rpn said:

Mormons don't hate coffee --- most have never tasted it.  But they might see it as an in your face thing if people bring it to church with them (specially if they don't know you are not a member).

In fact, we don't even know why we don't drink it, except that is how the hot drinks language is interpreted.   Members have been fond of speculating, and for years the most was about the caffeine.  But caffeine isn't banned and decaffeinated coffee is also the banned "coffee".

Wonder whether you'd feel better after you detoxed from coffee (clearly not the several weeks during which you are detoxing: anyone who's quit drinking sodas will tell you that)?

Since im spending more time at a ward im really trying to watch it.  My old LDS friend had no qualms with going to a starbucks to hang out, he never had coffee though. 

You know, last time I checked coffee wasn't that bad for you and I love the taste.  Soda is kinda ick though. 

But Mormons don't know whether the commandment is because coffee is bad for us, or even if the reason is the same for all of us.   We do it because we are commanded.   Maybe we are commanded for the sole reason that it identifies us as His (much like the faithful painted the doors with the blood of a lamb in Moses' day).

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

I don't know.

Are you British?!?

6 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Are you British?!?

Nope.

8 minutes ago, rpn said:

But Mormons don't know whether the commandment is because coffee is bad for us, or even if the reason is the same for all of us.   We do it because we are commanded.   Maybe we are commanded for the sole reason that it identifies us as His (much like the faithful painted the doors with the blood of a lamb in Moses' day).

Huh, marked, kind of like the early christian ban on cloven hooved animals?  You know, in an odd way this reminds me of how the Rus discovered christianity.  While all the other tribes were abandoning the gods of their race and adopting the religon of empire "Christianity" there were other contenders, the Jewish faith and islam.  The Rus did not like islam because no alcohol and the Jewish faith for being too foreign, so after a most impressive liturgy and copious amounts of booze the Rus converted and were thus "marked".

4 hours ago, poptart said:

This is more of a culture question, would I get dirty looks if I was downing starbucks coffee and tossed the cup in the trash before I walked into sacrament?  I keep forgetting LDS faithful hate coffee and almost did that once, ended up sitting in the car and finishing it up there. 

Walking in with any food or drink in hand would be highly unusual in my experience.  I think if the cup smells after left in the garbage, that might bother some.  Do they or are the tops tight enough once the coffee is gone, no smell?

It might feel like a lack of respect for the culture to many, but imo for most it might bother, I wouldn't be surprised if they would feel the same no matter what was in the cup.  Probably it would be distracting as something unexpected and perhaps out of place.

We don't ban food from buildings, just not supposed to be stored there due to pests.  People bring in food for little kids to keep them quiet during SM.  I am the only one I see using bottled water at all during meetings or carrying it in my bag though. My mouth gets very dry due to meds and I would have to get up a couple of times during the hour if I didn't.  I think if leaders saw kids drinking pop in the hallways or in class on a regular basis, they might say something because eventually something will spill and then it will have to be cleaned.  Water probably would get a pass.  Pop on rugs is not a good thing (says someone who had an orange tinge left in my brand new Berber in our previous home's basement).  Pop was banned to only the kitchen or backyard and we went dark brown the next time even though mottled cream was beautiful.  My mom bought carpet for her family room she called "asphalt".  Not a bad way to go,

I would suggest finishing before entering for those reasons.  If you don't want to leave the cup in the car, toss it in the garbage container usually in some corner of the parking lot or crumple it up before entering and dump it in the garbage in the bathroom.

Just in case someone takes it the wrong way.  I think most wouldn't care, would be glad to see you there and who cares about the coffee as you aren't a member (yet :P ) or even if you were, but there may be some that do and it is a kindness not to ruffle their feathers on a Sunday when hopefully they are trying to think better thoughts and worship.

4 hours ago, Bobbieaware said:

Are you British?!?

By birth, first 11 years, then a decade plus in Canada, then about a decade plus in Utah...

17 hours ago, poptart said:

I don't think "hate" is the correct word, not even close. The Lord has always had dietary laws for his chosen people, well those who have chosen him. No Mormon would ever think that any non-member drinking coffee would go to hell or face any judgement for doing so. In fact the "Word of Wisdom " (Doctrine and Covenants 89) applies to "the weak and the weakest of all saints" so it only applies to Mormon's, it is not binding in any way upon others. It is a commandment of promise, not just a "do not do list", but that promise does apply to all who obey it, member or not. Getting back to your first question, to bring Starbucks coffee knowing you are entering a Sacrament meeting, is probably impolite and an effort to draw attention to yourself. It would be the same to disregard the wishes of a friend who does not drink, and throwing a bottle of Rum away just before walking into his home. I would think just as this thead is meant to do the same thing here, which begs the question; why do so? 

12 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I don't think "hate" is the correct word, not even close. The Lord has always had dietary laws for his chosen people, well those who have chosen him. No Mormon would ever think that any non-member drinking coffee would go to hell or face any judgement for doing so. In fact the "Word of Wisdom " (Doctrine and Covenants 89) applies to "the weak and the weakest of all saints" so it only applies to Mormon's, it is not binding in any way upon others. It is a commandment of promise, not just a "do not do list", but that promise does apply to all who obey it, member or not. Getting back to your first question, to bring Starbucks coffee knowing you are entering a Sacrament meeting, is probably impolite and an effort to draw attention to yourself. It would be the same to disregard the wishes of a friend who does not drink, and throwing a bottle of Rum away just before walking into his home. I would think just as this thead is meant to do the same thing here, which begs the question; why do so? 

Bad habit I have, when i'm rushed for time I get forgetful.  Also I have insomnia issues and wow do I forget stuff when I have to do anything the morning of a sleepless night, it really sucks.  Hate having to take sleeping pills to make sure my anxiety doesnt screw up something important the next day.

Before I joined the Church I tried coffee a few times. By the time I could put enough cream and sugar into it to make it taste even tolerable. I was better off just drinking the cream and sugar. Food items of any type are discouraged in the Chapel, except  for small children.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:05 PM, poptart said:

Freshly roasted coffee beans smell great!  The taste?  Not so much.  Back before I joined the Church I used to drink coffee occasionally (I think it was mainly because I was, like, 14, and coffee made me feel like a "grown-up" -- it was an adult beverage that I was allowed to have).  I liked its taste so much that I always made sure to enhance it with lots of sugar and cream.  Kind of like that episode of Bonanza where Pa Cartwright is lecturing someone at the breakfast table while he absent-mindedly adds spoonful after spoonful of sugar into his coffee.  Hoss Cartwright watches him do this, and when he finally finishes his lecture (and sugaring), Hoss asks Pa: "Would you like to have a little coffee with your sugar?"

My born-TBM wife had never tasted coffee before and someone gave her a mocha-filled bon-bon.  She said that it was really delicious!  When I congratulated her on her first taste of coffee she was mortified.  Her son (my stepson) and I got a big laugh over it.  We pestered her good-naturedly about her WoW "problem" for days.

You are aware that after people drink coffee they have rather characteristic sour breath?  Better make sure you crunch a couple of mints.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:14 PM, Bobbieaware said:

Butty, a dead giveaway.

Yep, that's what I thought.  In about two months (or as soon as the British Home Office approves my visa) I will be in the Land of Butty!

12 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Freshly roasted coffee beans smell great!  The taste?  Not so much.  Back before I joined the Church I used to drink coffee occasionally (I think it was mainly because I was, like, 14, and coffee made me feel like a "grown-up" -- it was an adult beverage that I was allowed to have).  I liked its taste so much that I always made sure to enhance it with lots of sugar and cream.  Kind of like that episode of Bonanza where Pa Cartwright is lecturing someone at the breakfast table while he absent-mindedly adds spoonful after spoonful of sugar into his coffee.  Hoss Cartwright watches him do this, and when he finally finishes his lecture (and sugaring), Hoss asks Pa: "Would you like to have a little coffee with your sugar?"

My born-TBM wife had never tasted coffee before and someone gave her a mocha-filled bon-bon.  She said that it was really delicious!  When I congratulated her on her first taste of coffee she was mortified.  Her son (my stepson) and I got a big laugh over it.  We pestered her good-naturedly about her WoW "problem" for days.

You are aware that after people drink coffee they have rather characteristic sour breath?  Better make sure you crunch a couple of mints.

I chew gum all the time so no problem there.  I was a barista at a coffee shop for a while so I have a taste for the good stuff.  The beans are everything followed by the grind. 

Lel wow, I know so many people who just dump sugary stuff in their coffee, reminds me of that unicorn frapicino they had for a while, sugary liquid sludge, mmmmmmm~

You know, thats one thing i'm waiting for, them to push marriage.  My LDS friend did tell me they would bring up a spouse (a heterosexual one).  I wonder how that will work out, IRL when things don't go my way I can get a little unberable and taking coffee out of my hands would equal a hissy fit on my part.

On 6/25/2017 at 11:47 AM, poptart said:

I chew gum all the time so no problem there.  I was a barista at a coffee shop for a while so I have a taste for the good stuff.  The beans are everything followed by the grind. 

Lel wow, I know so many people who just dump sugary stuff in their coffee, reminds me of that unicorn frapicino they had for a while, sugary liquid sludge, mmmmmmm~

You know, thats one thing i'm waiting for, them to push marriage.  My LDS friend did tell me they would bring up a spouse (a heterosexual one).  I wonder how that will work out, IRL when things don't go my way I can get a little unberable and taking coffee out of my hands would equal a hissy fit on my part.

Have you had a look at the official church website, "Mormon and Gay"?  I'm pretty sure you must have, but my omniscience is on the fritz this week, so here's the link: http://mormonandgay.lds.org/

I believe the church policy on members with SSA is to NOT encourage them to marry heterosexually.  It may be that individual members may hint at the availability of certain women in whom they think you might find an interest, but if you identify yourself to your bishop as gay, I'd be very surprised if he suggested it.  As for other members who don't know you're gay, some of the less diplomatic among them might be more ham-handed about the marriage thing, but you know, there are straight LDS men out there who are in their late 20s and early 30s and unmarried, and you won't get any more pressure than they!  My stepson is straight, 26, still living at home, and he has to deal with it from time to time.  Using another metaphor, it's like living as a Republican in a deep-blue Democrat neighborhood.  Or vice-versa! 

I found the FAQ on Mormon and Gay fairly informative:

https://mormonandgay.lds.org/articles/frequently-asked-questions

On 6/24/2017 at 11:27 PM, poptart said:

Bad habit I have, when i'm rushed for time I get forgetful.  Also I have insomnia issues and wow do I forget stuff when I have to do anything the morning of a sleepless night, it really sucks.  Hate having to take sleeping pills to make sure my anxiety doesnt screw up something important the next day.

Try giving up caffeine and also try getting 8 hours of sleep a night.  I was similar to you until I gave up caffeinated soda and started going to bed on time. - the caffeine was keeping me awake so I was only getting 5-6 hours of sleep and I was always rushed. Now I'm rarely running behind (except during rush hour traffic here in Dallas - but thats a whole other story)

Edited by mnn727

If you can't give up caffeine completely, at least start by not taking for ten hours before intended bedtime...though this is just typical time it takes for caffeine to wear off.  For me, it affects me closer to 20 hours interfering with sleep probably because of throwing off other biocycles.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:43 PM, JLHPROF said:

By birth, first 11 years, then a decade plus in Canada, then about a decade plus in Utah...

Wow, I would love that kind of exposure to the world, I was born and I'll probably die, in Utah. :(