Seriously No Politics ×

Men and their swimsuits - question for you

Rain

Do you or do the men in your life wear underwear under your/their swimsuits?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you or do the men in your life wear underwear under your/their swimsuits?

• Yes
    • No

I had never heard of wearing underwear under a swimsuit before moving here. When we moved here my youngest started wearing one because that is what all the boys did at school. Now I am curious if this is a common thing or just with the boys he is going to school with.

Edited by Rain

I don't know.  He hasn't mentioned pantsing.  I can kind of see where this started when he was in junior high if the boys just felt more comfortable with it at school, but he now does it at home as well.  

Serious swimmers (and professional lifeguards) wear clinging and revealing Speedos, so it depends on what sort of bathing suits are being worn.  I consider it silly to wear temple garments or any other sort of underwear in such conditions.  Even in track & field competition, one cannot seriously wear anything that will slow you down or impede performance.  But, for casual wear, it is an individual  and practical thing.

1 hour ago, rpn said:

Why do you care whether whomever does or does not wear it?  You've apparently expressed an opinion: isn't it time to let him wear whatever he pleases without scrutiny?

I know it is irrational, but part of it is I don't like dirty underwear in the pool. 

Some of it has to do with not knowing why he does it. Is there something I should be concerned about? 

He tends to over worry about things like this. I know this sounds ironic, but 90% of the time when we can get him to express why he is worried we are able to share with him where is thinking is wrong and he is now just fine. (He did NOT want to go to seminary. This was so totally against his nature that it really made us concerned. Finally it came out that he thought you had to wear church clothes. When he understood that wasn't the case he was eager to go). 

So I wanted to see if my family was abnormal on this before talking to him farther. 

4 hours ago, CV75 said:

Ask his gym teacher/coach why they do it.

I wish I would have thought about this at the time. It’s now been 3 years since he has been swimming at school or gone to that particular school. Now he is wearing them at home. (We live in Mesa/Phoenix). 

9 hours ago, Rain said:

I've tried to explain this to him, but it didn't seem to matter.

Hello Rain, I suspect that this young man is extremely modest and still trying to get a handle on his changing body.  The fact that his friends do it also reinforces his choice.  As he matures I suspect he will make a different choice and then maybe not.  

Many decades ago when I was in the LTM a few of us were talking in one of the floor common areas. Many were going to bed or trying to get to sleep. One young man came out to shush us and tell us to go to bed. He was dressed in his garments with a pair of tighty whities on over his garments. I had never seen such and never have seen it again. Regardless, individuals make their own choices.  Some will make us stare at the novelty and others will not even faze us.

17 hours ago, Rain said:

I don't like dirty underwear in the pool.

That is a completely legitimate issue.  If he is your child, tell him he has to put on clean underwear each time he is going swimming in your pool. 

My guess is that he either had an experience where he showed more than he meant to, or that he's seen someone else who didn't wear underwear, or he just feels more comfortable with the added support.

19 hours ago, Rain said:

I wish I would have thought about this at the time. It’s now been 3 years since he has been swimming at school or gone to that particular school. Now he is wearing them at home. (We live in Mesa/Phoenix). 

I agree with Storm. I've noticed a shift in the modesty -- excessive so in my opinion -- among young males in the last 20 years or so. I think our media has been so overly and overtly sexualized for children and teens, including the cruelty of body-shaming, that they have a good deal of trouble dealing with their changing bodies. I've noticed this in the high school boys that change in the swimming pool locker-room (early morning team practice, which coincides with the adult lap swim). They even wear their underwear in the shower! Then wet (I'm sure they are quick-dry) under their clothes; they must change at home. It's really sad.

Edited by CV75
On 6/15/2017 at 8:27 PM, Rain said:

I had never heard of wearing underwear under a swimsuit before moving here. When we moved here my youngest started wearing one because that is what all the boys did at school. Now I am curious if this is a common thing or just with the boys he is going to school with.

I think it probably started when OP(Ocean Pacific) started coming out with a line of beach shorts. These became popular rather than swimming trunks. But OP did not line them. So guys started swimming in them with their underwear. But for a pool, yeah, that is kinda gross. I've always used lined swim trunks - at least since I was a kid, although I probably have jumped in the pool a time or two while wearing these OP shorts with underwear. I don't care for the feeling though. I like my swim trunks to dry quickly, and underwear prevents that. I try to buy nylon swim trunks so they will dry quickly. 

45 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

I think it probably started when OP(Ocean Pacific) started coming out with a line of beach shorts. These became popular rather than swimming trunks. But OP did not line them. So guys started swimming in them with their underwear. But for a pool, yeah, that is kinda gross. I've always used lined swim trunks - at least since I was a kid, although I probably have jumped in the pool a time or two while wearing these OP shorts with underwear. I don't care for the feeling though. I like my swim trunks to dry quickly, and underwear prevents that. I try to buy nylon swim trunks so they will dry quickly. 

Nailed it!

This link has the same brand my husband wears...https://www.amazon.com/Billabong-Mens-Stretch-Boardshorts-Plaid/dp/B01HTD49H0/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1498408048&sr=8-18&keywords=billabong+mens+swimsuit

Edited by Tacenda

We've only had 1 house with a pool and it had a nice high privacy fence and a locked gate so there was no way anyone could see and it was just my wife and I, so.............B:)

I know, I know --- TMI :rolleyes:

Edited by mnn727

My personal rules: 1. Never lined swim trunks for sandy/gritty situations—board shorts only. 2. Never underwear under shorts while swimming in any situation. 3. Always check for a comfortable fly, sometimes the velcro flies can rub you the wrong way. 

You don't want a liner when there is sand or grit, there is nothing worse than having to reach down the front or rear of your shorts to empty out a sand filled liner. Not to mention failure to do so can be abrasive. 

I have always thought the liner was there to help prevent you from peeking out the bottoms of your swim shorts (think about all the times the bottom of your shorts are riding high while in the water (jumped into a pool lately? Water slides?), and/or to add a modesty layer (less outlines) especially in more tightly public situations like pools.  I am pretty sure the reason they typically use mess is the sand factor, but is isn't really all that effective (see my personal rule above). 

And a rant: Don't wear your dirty undies in a pool, especially a public pool.