Considering going back to a ward

Considering going back to a ward.  A lot happened since the last time I was at a ward.  The past few years we're the first time I had seriously spent time around the Christian religion and after going through pure help gave me a lot to think about.  I've been wrong about a lot and the it's friends I've had we're more patient then anyone I've ever met, even asked me to call him next time I feel like trying to overdose.  Anyway, he suggested I find a new ward as I've moved since they may be a stabilizing influence.  Been to Catholic parishes and the one thing I've noticed, the kids seem to be a bit better organized when it comes to understanding mental issues,  either that or I was just lucky.  Anyway, wanted feedback.  I'm bipolar and find myself crumbling mentally and wonder if finding a ward again would be worth it.  The family I had is slowly dying and once their gone I'll be alone and considering where I'm at now mentally I'm terrified of what the future may bring. 

By all means start attending again in your new ward.  It is where your Heavenly Parents and Savior hope you will be each week.

But it is wise for all of us to have overlapping circles of friends and even family we have created.   Lots of people with mental illness get support in a NAMI support group, who become like family.   Some people volunteer regularly somewhere and the group they volunteer with or to eventually become family.   Some people look for and get to to extended family when those closest to them are gone.   Others regularly invite people to their home for FHE, or for singing on sunday evenings, or for knitting hats for newborns or for book club (and sometimes they do these things together on the phone.   In many communities they now have lots of activities for seniors, either at a senior center or in the community, and regular attendance and seeking to know others results in feelings of group family.  

Yes there are wards where each individual feels they are part of a family and they can count on the others for their needs, the HT/VT if not others.  And they can serve others too there.   But IME, it is wise to create many circles of friendship, which increases the likelihood that someone will be available to help you when you need that from them.

Any ward can become family.  Generally it is not every member in the ward (not all find it easy to feel that way) and there are some wards that may not be as welcoming as they should, but we call each other Brother and Sister for a reason and a lot of us take that very, very seriously.  We are of the family of God and we should be showing those bonds now, not waiting till the next life to contribute to building heaven under God's loving eye.

Edited by Calm
3 hours ago, poptart said:

Considering going back to a ward.  A lot happened since the last time I was at a ward.  The past few years we're the first time I had seriously spent time around the Christian religion and after going through pure help gave me a lot to think about.  I've been wrong about a lot and the it's friends I've had we're more patient then anyone I've ever met, even asked me to call him next time I feel like trying to overdose.  Anyway, he suggested I find a new ward as I've moved since they may be a stabilizing influence.  Been to Catholic parishes and the one thing I've noticed, the kids seem to be a bit better organized when it comes to understanding mental issues,  either that or I was just lucky.  Anyway, wanted feedback.  I'm bipolar and find myself crumbling mentally and wonder if finding a ward again would be worth it.  The family I had is slowly dying and once their gone I'll be alone and considering where I'm at now mentally I'm terrified of what the future may bring. 

" I'm bipolar and find myself crumbling mentally..." - Come to my ward. It's the Spring Ward in the Spring Stake in Spring (Houston) Texas. My family is mentally unstable too. We'd love to have you. :) 

6 hours ago, poptart said:

What is a ward family?

Hello poptart...

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulty... and I, too, encourage you to seek out your new ward.  Meet with the bishop and explain your situation, and ask about home teachers to help you get situated.

I refer to my ward as my "ward family."  I'm widowed, alone, and have no children... my closest real family is many miles away.  Some of the ward members are friends, and the closest I have to what could be considered family.  My home teachers are wonderful, and take their stewardship seriously.  So I hope you will start to attend your ward.

GG

It will be worth it.

I can relate to your situation. Docs simply couldn't agree what my mental issue is or was, if anything. Ditto with those on this board. -_- (Seriously.) So I understand part of what you're going through.

As to another part, I've recently returned to the church after a long journey...and can share a glimpse of that experience.

There are people in your ward family that you need to meet, and that likely need to meet you. I felt a considerable distance from the church for years until two days ago in my new ward. Two Sundays there, plus a brief weekday exchange with the bishop, changed things dramatically. For that to happen, I had to be patient. My first Sunday there, the presence of God was there strongly, even though I temporarily felt like a stranger to those sitting nearby. My second Sunday there, I had the encounter from a first-time friend/brother that I *really* needed. Surprising how a simple extension of kindness can be an anchor in a storm, and can make a new place instantly feel like home. But I should mention that it wouldn't have happened, had I not stayed the entire block...because it happened *after* the closing prayer of the last meeting. Was socially outgoing in LDS settings at one point in my life. Might get there again soon - hopefully in time to greet someone else who needs a friend.

Please email your bishop today, and introduce yourself.  It was one of the smartest things I did after moving in.

If you need help finding your bishop's contact info, any of us here can help.

And be patient for things to start feeling like family. It might happen your first time there. It might happen later. But linger there, the full 3-hour block...and then some...to allow the Spirit and your neighbors every opportunity to properly welcome you.

As to the last part of your situation, would you mind sharing what you meant about family slowly dying? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Edited by probablyHagoth7
3 hours ago, poptart said:

Here's a question,  will i be pressured to get married?

This is going to sound cheesy: but it depends on how you define "pressured".  If people giving talks about the importance of marriage counts as "pressure", then probably yes.  Now if "pressure" is more someone strapping you down into a chair and say "you pop tart must get married now or be electroshocked!", then that's probably not going happen.

I don't trust people in general and have a less than favorable opinion of marriage.  I've seen nothing but disfunction as a child and adult, a good friends ex wife is now trying to screw him, even is trying to get her kids to lie under oath in court.  Also my own psychological problems and very very short fuse.  I'd rather sit back and watch the joke that is the institution of current American  family values burn than dirty my hands with it.  

Edited by poptart
4 hours ago, poptart said:

Here's a question,  will i be pressured to get married?

If you make your bishop aware that you have mental or emotional issues, and especially that you are very leery of the whole marriage thing, I think that you'll short-circuit anything like that.

I've seen dysfunctional couples, too, and seen some really rough situations.  Caused by both husbands and wives, by the way.  But I've been able to observe a good many marriages that have worked very well, and in some cases where marriages went off the rails, it was only rarely that one became so actively hostile to another.  As they say, the occasional bridge that falls makes the news.  The ones that don't, don't.