Seriously No Politics ×

If you could invent a religion what would it look like?

2 hours ago, Maidservant said:

I see what you mean.  But, this might be where we diverge, since none of these items fall into my definition of 'harm' (which I guess I didn't really make clear either).  Getting hurt is not harm (to me). Pain is not harm.  Harm is oppression and violation.  So harmlessness doesn't mean to me that we never get hurt.  We can all be a part of accidents and things we didn't mean to do. There is always some struggle in relationships and in being human. That's not harm (to me).  And we obviously hurt (and harm) people, due to our ignorance.  Hence the lifetime journey to gain the wisdom needed and to live by it.  Harm requires responsibility, which none of those examples show.  Anyway, I appreciate what you are saying, but just trying to be more clear in where I am coming from also.

I could have sworn I posted, but must have glitched instead.  Thanks for the clarification, it makes sense now.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:20 PM, MiserereNobis said:

We appear to have very similar musical tastes.  First we bonded on bluegrass and now on jam bands, though I hear you about structure.  "Dark Star" is to the Dead Religion like the highest temple rituals are to Mormonism ;) The 1st missionary discussion of the Dead Religion would have to be something like Uncle John's Band or Ripple or Truckin' or Casey Jones.  Milk before meat, right?  3rd discussion is Scarlet->Fire and China->Rider.  Baptismal interview would be Playin->Morning Dew->Playin with a surprise question on Estimated->Eyes. Once you get baptized then we can start talking about St. Stephen->William Tell->Eleven (named because it is in 11/4 time).  All this, of course, leading up to Dark Star->Drums/Space->Dark Star.

(forgive me, board, for indulging in Deadness... I drive my wife crazy with it, too, sometimes).

I really dig Garcia/Grisman.  Did you ever see the Grateful Dawg documentary?  Also, rather than buying my toddler an annoying CD full of silly kids tunes, I've got him hooked on Garcia/Grisman's Not For Kids Only.  Know it?  It's a worthy gift to any parent with children.  Here's a fun track:

Umm.. how did I miss this conversation!!?

You left out the cowboy songs.  No (!) baptism until prospective Deadheads accept the following as doctrinal:

Me & My Uncle>Big River 12/31/78

Minglewood Blues>Loser 5/8/77

and 

Sugaree*>Mama Tried>Mexicali Blues 12/28/79

*not cowboy, but if they don't know and love this version they simply can't be baptized. Also check out the Terrapin Station>Playin' in the Band>Drums from the same gig. Smokin'!

Just for kicks, if they dig this from 2/14/70 you know they're temple-worthy:

Alligator > Drums > Me And My Uncle > Not Fade Away > Mason's Children > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)  > Feedback > And We Bid You Good Night 

Edited by Spammer
4 hours ago, Spammer said:

Umm.. how did I miss this conversation!!?

You left out the cowboy songs.  No (!) baptism until prospective Deadheads accept the following as doctrinal:

Me & My Uncle>Big River 12/31/78

Minglewood Blues>Loser 5/8/77

and 

Sugaree*>Mama Tried>Mexicali Blues 12/28/79

*not cowboy, but if they don't know and love this version they simply can't be baptized. Also check out the Terrapin Station>Playin' in the Band>Drums from the same gig. Smokin'!

Just for kicks, if they dig this from 2/14/70 you know they're temple-worthy:

Alligator > Drums > Me And My Uncle > Not Fade Away > Mason's Children > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)  > Feedback > And We Bid You Good Night 

Yes!  Now we're moving this board in the right direction!

I'm all in for the cowboy songs, but I think the path of eternal Dead progression travels the depths of structure-breaking jams.  That Masons->Caution->Feedback from Valentine's '70 is a nice example.

Sugaree is such a sweet song (my current car is named Sugaree, last one was Cassidy).  My fav is 5/22/77 -- Jerry's phrasing in the first jam builds so beautifully towards the climax and release with Keith having some great moments of syncopation.

We definitely should toss The Other One in the mix, too.  I was playing bocce ball with some buddies yesterday afternoon and there was a sick version from '69, though I can't remember the exact date.

I've been perusing '73 lately and was reminded of this gem of a show:  11/17 UCLA  I think it's got my favorite "Here Comes Sunshine" -- good vocals, epic Phil jams, Jerry being top-notch Jerry.  It also features this awesome double sandwich: Playin' -> UJB -> Morning Dew -> UJB -> Playin'.  Check it out!  I'm gonna take a listen later this afternoon to that 12/28/79 show you recommend.  Terrapin->Playin'->Drums sounds pretty sweet and I dig some of that early Brent stuff; as the band tries to find its new sound there are transcendent moments (there are also, of course, some epic fails).

Maybe we should start a Deadhead thread in the social hall before the mods kick us out of this one ;)

On 4/3/2017 at 4:18 PM, phaedrus ut said:

In February of 2016, an organization known as 92Y, led by Jewish principles, held a series of challenges as part of its 7 Days of Genius campaign. Among them was a challenge to create a new religion.

If you could invent a new religion what would it look like? 

Phaedrus 

The question presupposes that I would reject the Church of Jesus Christ, which I wouldn't do.

But it would seem that many lack the drive, creativity, inventiveness, whatever to invent their own religion. They would rather try to hijack the Church of Jesus Christ and change it to suit their own whims, as Protestant-leaning religionists did with Herbert W. Armstrong's Worldwide Church of God.

In, the end, they will realize that hijacking the Church of Jesus Christ is more difficult than inventing their own.

Edited by Scott Lloyd