Seriously No Politics ×

I am Not Satan

1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

In a now closed thread, my username was criticized as having to do with Satan.  This is incorrect. 

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/ot/job/38?lang=eng#

"God asks Job where he was when the foundations of the earth were laid, when the morning stars sang together, and when all the sons of God shouted for joy—The phenomena of nature show the greatness of God and the weakness of man."

Years ago, my aunt named me Morning Star when she brought me and my sister to a Native American event. And my patriarchal blessing says I was one of the morning stars who sang for joy.  This was special to me because of my memory with my aunt and because I love singing. We were all "morning stars".  People often think it's a word for Satan.

Discuss. 

Hello MS...

I love your name, and like to think that perhaps we stood side by side as we sang with the morning stars...

Satan was called a "son of the morning" (an angel that had authority in the presence of God) and that the heavens wept over him when he rebelled against the Holy One and was cast down... (D&C 76:25-27)

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Morning Star, believe me...no one could ever confuse you of being Satan or of Saten. Your kindness, and empathy add great depth to this website and all who love you. As I did in the other thread, I defended you there and would defend you wherever any would do the same. Your voice here is one of reason and wisdom. If only all (especially those who do "drive by's", seeking nothing more than to spread lies and cause discord. 

Satan has been called a star that fell from heaven:

"And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit." (Rev 9: 1)

And a son of the morning as already mentioned, but he was never called "the morning star". However, Jesus was called "the morning star":

"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." (Rev 22: 16)

Edited by JAHS

So you're saying that the Devil wasn't the Morning Star, but instead, Jesus was? I was told that the Devil was called the Morning Star in his days of being one of the brightest Angels in Heaven, and when Jesus took on the responsibility of saving us from our sins, the Devil got jealous because he volunteered to do that himself, and started being a huge jerk to God and Jesus. If I'm wrong, then please correct me. I don't want to accidentally lie about anything.

2 hours ago, EntropyJustKillUsNow said:

So you're saying that the Devil wasn't the Morning Star, but instead, Jesus was? I was told that the Devil was called the Morning Star in his days of being one of the brightest Angels in Heaven, and when Jesus took on the responsibility of saving us from our sins, the Devil got jealous because he volunteered to do that himself, and started being a huge jerk to God and Jesus. If I'm wrong, then please correct me. I don't want to accidentally lie about anything.

Because Lucifer was one of the first spirit children of God he could be called "a" morning star, as in Isaiah:
"How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low! (Isaiah 14:12)
All of us could be called "a" morning star, but Jesus was "the" bright and morning star as described in the scripture quoted earlier.  
It is confusing but incorrect to only give the label of "the morning star" to Satan. it is more correct to call Jesus "the" morning star.  

Edited by JAHS
1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Because Lucifer was one of the first spirit children of God he could be called "a" morning star, as in Isaiah:
"How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low! (Isaiah 14:12)
All of us could be called "a" morning star, but Jesus was "the" bright and morning star as described in the scripture quoted earlier.  
It is confusing but incorrect to only give the label of morning star to Satan. it is more correct to call Jesus "the" morning star.  

Wow. Well I've learned something today! Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, EntropyJustKillUsNow said:

I never confused you with Satan. That would be dumb. I honestly have been going through a hard time lately, and I am sorry for snapping at you. I just get very offended somehow whenever I see a direct correlation to Lucifer. I don't know if it's subconscious or what. But overall, I'm really sorry if I had offended you.

First an apology, then again associating her name with Satan. Everyone goes through tough times, but no excuse to be rude and attack others. Either way you said very harsh comments that have nothing to do with Satan. Get some help to get you through these tough times, so you will not repeat this behavior. Everyone deserves to be happy, but I have noticed in my many years that unhappy people often want others to be unhappy, which explains their behavior. 

6 hours ago, EntropyJustKillUsNow said:

I never confused you with Satan. That would be dumb. I honestly have been going through a hard time lately, and I am sorry for snapping at you. I just get very offended somehow whenever I see a direct correlation to Lucifer. I don't know if it's subconscious or what. But overall, I'm really sorry if I had offended you.

But you didn't "see a direct correlation to Lucifer".  No such thing existed in that thread.  You chose to be offended over nothing.

Also 

10 hours ago, MorningStar said:

Years ago, my aunt named me Morning Star when she brought me and my sister to a Native American event. And my patriarchal blessing says I was one of the morning stars who sang for joy.  This was special to me because of my memory with my aunt and because I love singing. We were all "morning stars". 

It's also the half the name of the first LDS publication, the Evening and the Morning Star

40 minutes ago, juliann said:

Oh, I've known you to be devilish, MS......

You make a good point.  :P

20 hours ago, EntropyJustKillUsNow said:

It's.  OK.  You should also know that I'm a woman.  You called me Mister.  Not that men don't like pumpkin spice scented Yankee Candles. 

On 3/29/2017 at 1:05 PM, EntropyJustKillUsNow said:

Satan and Jesus are both sons of God the Father, and in the Heavenly Council Satan's proposal was rejected by his Father, in favor of acceptance of Jesus -- who agreed to allow man his free agency, and who agreed to bear all punishment for the sins of mankind.  Satan instead wanted to force man to do good, so that no one would be lost, thus losing everyone. (Abraham 3:24-28, Moses 4:1-4).

Both Jesus and Satan are referred to as "morning star," but one must read Isa 14:12 for context in Hebrew:

14:12 refers to Helel son of Šahar, "Bright-One, son of Dawn" (=LXX Greek Heosphoros = Latin Vulgate Lucifer, "Light-Bearer, Morning-Star [Venus]"), and Helel is being used in that context as a metaphor for a high and mighty Assyrian or Babylonian king (perhaps Nebuchadrezzar II, Evil-Merodach, or Nabonidus; Ezekiel 28:2-10 uses similar language to describe the ruler of Tyre).

On March 29, 2017 at 7:35 PM, The Nehor said:

That sounds reasonable...and exactly the kind of thing Satan would say to throw us off...

Wait, are you saying this to throw us off? :)