Seriously No Politics ×

Deadspin publishes a history of carpeted gyms in lds chapels

bsjkki

19 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

I have no idea. However because LDS Gyms (Cultural Halls) are used for more than just basketball, maintenance costs are less for carpets.

Read the article...it actually says that isn't so. The article is very long...way more in depth that the topic deserves.  It's odd. 

9 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Read the article...it actually says that isn't so. The article is very long...way more in depth that the topic deserves.  It's odd. 

Now they are and carpets are being phased out or so I understood their analysis.

I always thought they were to help with warmth and sound, considering they were used as part of the chapel when needed and in a few wards, dividers would be put up and up to four classes were held there on Sunday at the same time.

I don't think it was intended to be a serious discussion on LDS flooring choices.  Carpeted basketball courts in LDS buildings are often (and loudly) complained about by those of us that love basketball.  The author is probably LDS and is having some fun by writing a semi-serious article about the topic.  I enjoyed reading it and could relate.  Thanks!

53 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Depends on where it is used. High hard usage say for a basketball court, wood is the preferred material. In multi-use situations like a LDS Cultural Halls carpets require less maintenance costs than word.

3 hours ago, gopher said:

I don't think it was intended to be a serious discussion on LDS flooring choices.  Carpeted basketball courts in LDS buildings are often (and loudly) complained about by those of us that love basketball.  The author is probably LDS and is having some fun by writing a semi-serious article about the topic.  I enjoyed reading it and could relate.  Thanks!

I think the author is LDS too and agree it was only semi-serious. I remember they put orange carpeting in some gyms--made for horrific wedding pics. ;)

I think the author does stuff for NPR and some other media.  Perhaps he is a freelancer and this just interested him one day.  Hard to come up with original stuff all the time.  Give him a plus for a topic that no one else has probably done before.

6 hours ago, bsjkki said:

My question about this article is why would Deadspin write such an in depth article in the history of carpeted gym floors in LDS Chapels...

My suggestion:

From today forward, if at all possible, find other places for your kids to play (supervised).