New compilation of talks by women

bsjkki

This is really cool. Thanks for posting it (though I'd already seen it discussed on DN). 

As with so much historical stuff in the church, I can see these discourses quickly becoming a two-edged sword. For instance, consider the following quote from the introduction (bold mine):

During the early and mid-1800s, women speaking before mixed-gender audiences often provoked suspicion and hostility in the broader culture. As such, many religious women, including Latter-day Saints, spoke primarily in women’s meetings. The Relief Society provided an institutional pulpit for Latter-day Saint women from 1842 to 1844, but it was disbanded before the migration of the Latter-day Saints to the American West. Small, informal groups of women gathered often while crossing the plains and in the early days in the Salt Lake Valley, speaking and experiencing spiritual manifestations together.16 The exercise of spiritual gifts was an important part of public speaking for many early Mormon women, who spoke in tongues, gave blessings of health or comfort, and related dreams, visions, and revelations.17 

I'd love to be in the SS class when then youth learn that "speaking in tongues" did not mean "learning Spanish in the MTC."

It seems as though women were more fiesty in the early days of the church. And they had more opportunites to use the PH. Also, they ran their own organization, and had their own RS lessons without being told what to do. I wish the church would give women more trust that they could teach a RS lesson appropriately. But I guess there needs to be some guidelines, sure, but it should be with moderation instead of all the way to one side. Or I'm up in the night.

Excited to read the book! Actually miss the old days where RS could be where we were taught a multitude of things to help in our daily lives...from homemaking skills to world topics to the spiritual. But I understand they have made RS meetings during the week include a mini lesson.

21 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It seems as though women were more fiesty in the early days of the church. And they had more opportunites to use the PH. Also, they ran their own organization, and had their own RS lessons without being told what to do. I wish the church would give women more trust that they could teach a RS lesson appropriately. But I guess there needs to be some guidelines, sure, but it should be with moderation instead of all the way to one side. Or I'm up in the night.

Excited to read the book! Actually miss the old days where RS could be where we were taught a multitude of things to help in our daily lives...from homemaking skills to world topics to the spiritual. But I understand they have made RS meetings during the week include a mini lesson.

While I agree that it has been one sided to some extent, the men teachers who give the lessons don't choose anymore than the women teachers do. The difference being who choses the lessons at the top. There it was one sided, but I have understood (and may be wrong) that in the last couple of years women have been involved there as well.

Women have been involved, don't know how much, at least since the second RS/PH Teachings of the Presidents' manual.  They contributed to the question section of the first, iirc, but learned of it and suggested they be involved too late to have more input.  They found out about the new manuals when they went to correlation to get approval for the one they were planning, so that implies to me that apparently not having input in RS lessons was a short term thing (one year).

Whenever I have read even snippets of my heritage and others...I have found their energy..their spirit..their resourcefullness, courage and creativity to always be envied.  I would love to read this!!