Seriously No Politics ×

Piano Guys performance at inauguration

bsjkki

Piano Guys performance at inauguration. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/inauguration/7662397/piano-guys-trumps-inaugural-concert Some One Direction fans are not happy. http://www.mediaite.com/tv/i-feel-personally-attacked-one-direction-fans-react-to-hearing-their-song-covered-at-inauguration-concert/  

I thought it was the whole clip of the performance but it is not...if I find one I will post it. PE Trump came over and shook their hands after the performance.

Edited by bsjkki
8 minutes ago, juliann said:

Another political post? The only thing I find remotely interesting is that there are actually people who think singers can just pick whatever song they want (and put it on albums) without getting rights to it. 

Well...they're in the news and they're Mormon. They just got a ton of exposure. Half the country may like them and the other half will now hate them for eternity for performing for Trump. 

I love what they posted on their blog a few days ago about performing for the innaugeration. 

"Last night as I was kissing my daughter good night she asked me in an innocent, but tentative tone, “Daddy, why are people mad at you?” It brought tears to my eyes.

"I told her that I wish I could gather up everyone angry with the Piano Guys one by one and talk with them face to face. Hear their story. Empathize with their concerns, and mourn together so we could comfort each other. We, too, are distraught and despondent over how divisive this chapter in our nation’s politics has been. We, too, want what’s best for everyone in this country. Those of you who know us, know we grew up as “nerdy” musicians and we experienced bullying firsthand. We abhor and decry bullying. You know that we honor our relationships with our spouses more than anything else. You know we believe women are Divinely appointed to not only equality, but also respect and chivalrous deference. You know that in our history our ancestors were refugees, driven from their homes in fear for their lives. We empathetically embrace those now in the same situation. You know we believe in loving all people, regardless of gender, race, political affiliation, country of origin, or religious background. You know we believe that differences are meant to be celebrated, not calculated. If you know our music, you know that we painstakingly, prayerfully write and perform it with the intention to give it the greatest potential to lift others and break down barriers, not build them.

"We’ve found that our music has offered the most optimism when we’ve had the opportunity to perform for people who may not completely agree with who we are or what we stand for. Not long ago we had the chance to perform in a country that was dangerously at odds with our homeland. We felt tremendous tension even as we deplaned and walked through the airport’s immigration system. That night, prior to performing, we were tempted to shrink from the stage, but we prayed, steeled ourselves, and took that stage. Reticently reaching out a hand in fellowship, we began to perform a folksong beloved by this country, which we had arranged especially for this occasion. Something happened we’ll never forget. All the animosity, all the cultural attrition, all the potential for hatred melted away like the dawn does with the fierce winter frost. The audience began to sing – with a deeply placid, but resonant timbre. The chasm separating us grew together. Tears washed away whatever the leaders of our respective nations had done to offend each other and for that moment we weren’t nationalistic opponents. We weren’t political pawns. We weren’t labels. We were family.

"When decisions are too difficult to make on our own one of the things we do is look to men and women who have acted above and beyond petty partisanship and even beyond themselves to bridge over barriers. People that have made the world a better place because they stayed true to the mission they felt they were foreordained to fulfill.

"People like Mother Teresa who defied cultural castes to serve people considered “untouchable.” She once said, “If you judge people, you have no time to love them. Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.”

"We look to Marian Anderson – one of history’s bravest proponents of civil rights – an African American woman who sang for two inaugurations in a divided, segregated nation, despite being treated by many in that nation with unthinkable prejudice and baseless hatred. She once said, “As long as you keep a person down, some part of you has to be down there to hold him down, so it means you cannot soar as you otherwise might.” How she must have smiled from above when President Obama was elected – a landmark leap forward in the struggle she so peacefully fought so fiercely.

"This same President Obama counseled us all to “work as hard as we can to make sure that this is a successful transition for the President-elect — because we are now all rooting for his success in uniting and leading the country. The peaceful transition of power is one of the hallmarks of our democracy. And over the next few months, we are going to show that to the world.”

"We look to Jesus Christ, who we believe to be the greatest example of unconditional love in history, whose antagonists attempted to trap him into treachery against his own teachings in order to uphold the law of the day and stone a woman they caught in adultery. To them He suggested, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”Jesus asked us to love our neighbor unconditionally and forgive those that sin differently than we do.

"We’re no Mother Teresas. Far from it. And we’ll never be as perfect as Christ. But that won’t stop us from striving our best to be like them. We’re not performing for politics or in support of one man or one woman. We’re just doing all we can to follow our hearts in the unconditional pursuit of making this nation, and this world, a better place for all people – to use our music, which is a small thing, to span divides, spread love, and displace discord with harmony.

"When Jon’s daughter went missing people came to our aid in incredibly unselfish, loving, caring, and nonjudgmental ways. We wish everyone could have seen the goodness in others we saw. It reaffirmed our hope that it’s gonna be okay. That, though the pendulum of politics swings one way or another, good will win in the end.

"To our friends who have felt disturbed by our involvement, we want you to know that this doesn’t lessen our gratitude for what you have done for us. Not one bit. We still feel indebted to you. We love you. You give our music wings! We sincerely hope and pray for your understanding. We don’t feel right limiting our positive message only to people that believe or act the same way we do. We haven’t changed our message. We haven’t changed who we are, what we stand for, or what our music means and why we write it. We’re still doing what we’ve always done – playing for anyone who will hear our musical message with the hope that it persuades its listeners to love others.

– The Piano Guys"

16 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Piano Guys performance at inauguration. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/inauguration/7662397/piano-guys-trumps-inaugural-concert Some One Direction fans are not happy. http://www.mediaite.com/tv/i-feel-personally-attacked-one-direction-fans-react-to-hearing-their-song-covered-at-inauguration-concert/  

I thought it was the whole clip of the performance but it is not...if I find one I will post it. PE Trump came over and shook their hands after the performance.

Here's a more complete video of their performance.

Piano Guys - 2017 Inaugural Concert

Hopefully he meant something more like respect:

"Deference (also called submission or passivity) is the condition of submitting to the espoused, legitimate influence of one's superior or superiors.[1] Deference implies a yielding or submitting to the judgment of a recognized superior out of respect or reverence. Deference has been studied extensively by political scientists, sociologists, and psychologists."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deference

Still it comes across as getting respect simply because I was born a woman.  If it is something like treating others as the children of God that they are, I can see that, but I can't think of anything that requires women get an inherent respect that men don't also inherently deserve.

It looks like a bigger controversy of playing the One Direction song is the Piano Guys are accused of trolling Hillary Clinton by playing "Fight Song" which was used extensively during her campaign.  Link

Poor guys, I'm sure they weren't looking for all this trouble when they agreed to play at the inauguration.

1 hour ago, gopher said:

It looks like a bigger controversy of playing the One Direction song is the Piano Guys are accused of trolling Hillary Clinton by playing "Fight Song" which was used extensively during her campaign.  Link

Poor guys, I'm sure they weren't looking for all this trouble when they agreed to play at the inauguration.

I don't think they had any idea "Fight Song" was associated with Hillary Clinton. 

1 hour ago, gopher said:

People are always excited to have a reason to be angry at someone. The mere possibility of something even marginally offensive is enough of a reason. 

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I don't think they had any idea "Fight Song" was associated with Hillary Clinton. 

They would have known if they were Hillary supporters!  Now they've outed themselves and set themselves up for ridicule, scorn, and boycotts :)  Wait, I mean :(

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

People are always excited to have a reason to be angry at someone. The mere possibility of something even marginally offensive is enough of a reason. 

Agree. It's also becoming an effective way to silence opposing points of view.  But I digress..

On 1/20/2017 at 9:56 AM, Buckeye said:

What the heck is "chivalrous deference" and how do I make sure my wife never learns of it?

:D Thanks for the chuckle...

9 hours ago, gopher said:

They would have known if they were Hillary supporters!  Now they've outed themselves and set themselves up for ridicule, scorn, and boycotts :)  Wait, I mean :(

Not necessarily. I supported Clinton over Trump and I didn't know.  

On 1/20/2017 at 8:25 AM, JAHS said:

Here's a more complete video of their performance.

Piano Guys - 2017 Inaugural Concert

Blocked for copyright, unfortunately!

Probably because some loon unconnected with the owners of the song put in a copyright violation, and YouTube mindlessly went along with it.

Edited by Stargazer

I had to laugh myself silly (not hard, fortunately) about the " i-feel-personally-attacked-one-direction-fans-react-to-hearing-their-song-covered-at-inauguration-concert/" thing.  One of the posts:

"THIS IS WHAT MAKES YOU BEUAITUFL I CANT BELIEVE ONE DIRECTION IS BEING PLAYED AT THE PRESIDENTIAL INQUGUARATION WTF"

I suppose this might be a legit complaint if One Direction had written the song and held the copyright, and had not put the song out to be performed by others.  As it turns out, however, the song was written by Rami Yacoub, Carl Falk, and Savan Kotecha -- who are not members of One Direction.  One Direction has made this their signature song, but the only possible copyright violation that could involve One Direction was if their own cover of the song had been played without remuneration or permission.

Did the Piano Guys get permission from the writers to cover the song?  Check out the YouTube video of them playing it.  Clearly they have performance rights to the song, and I guess the idiots One Direction fans fussing over the PGs playing the song at the inauguration haven't got a leg to stand on.

Edited by Stargazer