Seriously No Politics ×

Can anyone help me, I need to download music on an MP3 player.

Tacenda

You are my go to place once again. My brother who is in rehab, asked if I could download some music on an MP3 player for him. I guess a lot of the residents have these. I know, I know, you're probably thinking I'm spoiling him. I hope not, I will make sure he pays me back. I bought a cheap player online.

He just needs some particular music downloaded on it, I've tried to figure it out, and watch a youtube on how to. But it was difficult to follow. Also, I'm a little concerned that it will cause a virus on my laptop, which is a chrome.

What do any of you think, is this taking a risk, or is there a free place to go that is legal and safe? 

Any help would be appreciated!

Are you a Salt Lake County Library card holder? If you go to there website they have a download section for music (at least 3 years ago they did) called Freeman where you can download I think 5 songs each week.  They don't have a great variety, but do have a number I like. If not Salt Lake then check your library. Mine, here in Mesa has it as well.  

You can do a search for Amazon music code. Occasionally those come out,  but usually it is a freebie when you buy certain things.  

There isn't much risk in downloading mp3 files from reputable sites.  Most of the scams I've seen require you to download and install their infected software before downloading the mp3s.

Just be aware if you download country music, it will slow down your computer, mp3 player, and brain activity of anyone who listens to it.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I downloaded Itunes, and then chose songs that each cost $1.89. That will no way work, I thought I was able to get songs free since I downloaded Itunes.

No, iTunes still has to pay the artists for the music. It's no different than buying music at a store, it's just a digital copy instead of a physical one. 

21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

No, iTunes still has to pay the artists for the music. It's no different than buying music at a store, it's just a digital copy instead of a physical one. 

Gotcha, he will just have to listen to the radio until I figure something out, those artists deserve to be paid, thanks bluebell!! :)

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, Oliblish said:

If you own CDs of the music you want to put on the player you can rip them to MP3 files on your computer.  Last I checked Windows Media Player that is included in Windows had this capability.

Thanks Oliblish, welcome to the board!

You can find a wide variety of music on YouTube. Some of it is definitely under copyright, the idea is you listen/watch and they run ads pasteurize. So the folks who posted the music are getting paid for every view, I don't know how much. Some is just under a general copyright statement of YT's. But I think there's not much of a problem if you grab the soundtrack to help your brother get thru rehab. A lot of artists work independently and detest lawyers, and in fact love it if you grab a copy of their stuff for non-commercial use, they consider it free publicity.

There are maybe a half-dozen websites that will grab a YT soundtrack for you, for instance http://convert2mp3.net/en/

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ used to work but hasn't for a while.

I assume by now you've figured out how to get an mp3 file into the mp3 player once you lay your hands on an mp3 file.

7 hours ago, Woody said:

You can find a wide variety of music on YouTube. Some of it is definitely under copyright, the idea is you listen/watch and they run ads pasteurize. So the folks who posted the music are getting paid for every view, I don't know how much. Some is just under a general copyright statement of YT's. But I think there's not much of a problem if you grab the soundtrack to help your brother get thru rehab. A lot of artists work independently and detest lawyers, and in fact love it if you grab a copy of their stuff for non-commercial use, they consider it free publicity.

There are maybe a half-dozen websites that will grab a YT soundtrack for you, for instance http://convert2mp3.net/en/

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ used to work but hasn't for a while.

I assume by now you've figured out how to get an mp3 file into the mp3 player once you lay your hands on an mp3 file.

Thanks Woody. 

I ended up just taking the MPS player up without any downloaded music, can't afford it. And my brother liked a lot of 70's/80's music along with heavy metal and rock music. I downloaded websites like ITunes and a couple of others only to find out it costs, dummy me. Also, I tried the YouTube way, and they've discontinued allowing that, like you said. He is just going to have to live with FM radio for now. Hopefully he will get some tunes up in the mountains. 

Edited by Tacenda
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks Woody. 

I ended up just taking the MPS player up without any downloaded music, can't afford it. And my brother liked a lot of 70's/80's music along with heavy metal and rock music. I downloaded websites like ITunes and a couple of others only to find out it costs, dummy me. Also, I tried the YouTube way, and they've discontinued allowing that, like you said. He is just going to have to live with FM radio for now. Hopefully he will get some tunes up in the mountains. 

If you do decide to gift him some music at some point, they have iTunes gift cards. You can get them at Walmart for as little as $10. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

If you do decide to gift him some music at some point, they have iTunes gift cards. You can get them at Walmart for as little as $10. 

That would only be about 5 songs wouldn't it? I've spent over $1,000.00 already, for various things like a cell phone, work boots, clothing, food etc., spending money and probably a lot more than that because of helping him in the past. 

But I don't mind that. It's just some things like songs aren't on my priority list, when he can just as well listen to radio. But thanks for the tip bluebell.

I have tried to post this a number of times and pm you, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to. Let's see if it work this time.

You can also look at Amazon for free songs or do a search for free amazon songs (not just a code for songs) and find many songs that way. 

One of my brothers likes certain bands. Some of those less well known bands have free songs on their websites.