Seriously No Politics ×

Mitt Romney being considered for Sec. of State

bsjkki

Wouldn't be the first time a Sec of State couldn't stand the president, I bet, or the reverse. (Nixon and Kissinger spring to mind)

While on the one hand I feel it would be wrong to give the appearance of acceptance of Trump's past behaviour that led to the criticism, now that Trump is president for the next four years barring impeachment, Romney's presence might temper short and long term damage.

Edited by Calm
15 hours ago, Calm said:

Wouldn't be the first time a Sec of State couldn't stand the president, I bet, or the reverse. (Nixon and Kissinger spring to mind)

While on the one hand I feel it would be wrong to give the appearance of acceptance of Trump's past behaviour that led to the criticism, now that Trump is president for the next four years barring impeachment, Romney's presence might temper short and long term damage.

Mitt Romney called Trump the day after the election to congratulate him, to which Trump tweeted:

Congrats2Trump.png

So, perhaps the feud is over.

Edited by Stargazer
14 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

What is Mitt going to tell his Granddaughters?

He could say-Now that Trump is president, we all have the responsibility to help him be a good one.  Because (as someone else said) hoping for him to fail is like hoping that the pilot of the plane you're on crashes.

1 hour ago, thesometimesaint said:

Sometimes morality trumps practicality. A question for you. We have made murder illegal. Did that stop all murders?

I'm sorry i don't understand what you are trying to say or how the question relates.  Whether or not Romney accepts an appointment (if it is offered) has no affect on how Trump treats women, except that perhaps association with moral men like Romney might improve it.

10 minutes ago, ERayR said:

The truth.  The Clinton/democrat hatchet squad manufactured mud and slime where none really existed.

I didn't know Romney was a Democrat.

SEE

Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America's face to the world.

39 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

Anything is possible. Probable is a different question. If you lie down with dogs don't complain when you get flees.

I don't think that trying to help a dog be a better dog is the same thing as lying down with him though.  

Again, if you knew how to fly a plane, and the pilot needed  your help to fly safely, it would be dumb to refuse based on the pilot being a sexist jerk.

5 minutes ago, thesometimesaint said:

Trump knows more about flying the plane than the pilots. He told you so repeatedly.

What the pilot thinks about his skills is irrelevant if the person he asks for help flying believes Trump has a good chance of crashing if left to his own devices.

2 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Trump has already threatened real war if someone flips the US the finger.

Well, THAT would be interesting!  I hadn't heard this...  can you CFR or is this just something that you heard from some meme-generator?

23 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Well, THAT would be interesting!  I hadn't heard this...  can you CFR or is this just something that you heard from some meme-generator?

There are several articles that covered those comments he made at one of his rallies:

Trump on Iran ship behavior: 'They will be shot out of the water'

By Daniella Diaz and Jeremy Diamond, CNN

Updated 10:36 PM ET, Fri September 9, 2016

Pensacola, Florida (CNN)--Donald Trump vowed Friday that if Iran inappropriately approached US ships, they would be "shot out of the water."

"And by the way, with Iran, when they circle our beautiful destroyers with their little boats and they make gestures that our people -- that they shouldn't be allowed to make, they will be shot out of the water," he said at a rally here.

Taking such action would have tremendous ramifications and would likely be considered an act of war. The comments, even given Trump's penchant for tough language, are unusual for a presidential candidate.

Trump appeared to be referring to a series of close encounters between the US and Iran in international waters in the Persian Gulf.

An Iranian ship came within 100 yards of a US Navy patrol ship earlier this week in what the US Navy described as an "unsafe and unprofessional" action involving "harassing maneuvering."

Edited by Daniel2