Favorite holiday traditions anyone?

Tacenda

I'm always looking for ideas since I'm not one to do a lot of traditions with family, maybe my lack of imagination or ability to follow through. The only big tradition in my family has been growing pumpkins and the family carves them. The photo below is of all the pumpkins on a pole with lighting strung up, my husband's creation. The Olaf pumpkin on the bottom was sure cute, my DIL did that freehand.

Another is gingerbread houses for Christmas, this one falls through on occasion.

Do any of you care to share yours?

14695323_10207201338620819_1889627362431869783_n.jpg

Edited by Tacenda

Haven't done it for awhile since my daughter started getting too much anxiety for holidays, but I used to do theme presents for her and her teddy bear (buying them the same outfit) and then my grandkids and anyone else I could work in like my sister or nieces if they were visiting.  It was centered around a 'weapon' of the year.  First year she wanted a book called the Zombie survival guide, the weapon was a crowbar for her and a mini one for her teddy bear and camo outfits for both.  Another time was pirates, elves, one was Winnie the Pooh with stuffed animals, books, and footsie pjs for everyone including the teddy bear and newspaper hats and wooden swords like Christopher Robin used in one of the stories (probably not original).  Last one was going to be a crossing guard with a stop sign if I could find it...she has very fond memories doing that in elementary school; that was the last year before she became diabetic, but she asked to stop doing the 'big present' because she felt she couldn't get into it like it deserved for the effort and we have shifted to a much more low key version to keep stress levels low.

Unfortunately all the weapons we bought her now make her nervous with their sharp edges...well, besides the crowbar...so they are in storage.

Other family tradition is the Christmas dragon...started this probably 30 years ago or more as I was collecting dragons before I got married and just switched it to a family thing.  Can be a stuffed animal, sculpture, puzzle, movie, whatever.  Legos for everyone is another one.  I have gritted my teeth and not bought them for my dil the last two years because she just isn't into them and it is ignoring her individuality to get her something she doesn't want just on principle.

Edited by Calm
10 hours ago, Calm said:

The pumpkins are fantastic.  Post this next year to remind us, I bet my husband would love to do this.  How early do you do it to make sure the pumpkins don't rot too soon, but you have time to enjoy?

Well, we did this a week or so before and because of the heat they did start to rot. Halloween night they barely made it without looking awful. My husband sprays with a water bottle, water and bleach on them, but the heat got to them to quickly. 

We were lucky enough to have a lot of pumpkins big and small this year, some years aren't as good. My husband loves to create, and was a former ironworker, he'll come up with some great stuff with rebar and bar. He use to make wire pumpkins and had them at several stores. 

10 hours ago, Calm said:

Haven't done it for awhile since my daughter started getting too much anxiety for holidays, but I used to do theme presents for her and her teddy bear (buying them the same outfit) and then my grandkids and anyone else I could work in like my sister or nieces if they were visiting.  It was centered around a 'weapon' of the year.  First year she wanted a book called the Zombie survival guide, the weapon was a crowbar for her and a mini one for her teddy bear and camp outfits for both.  Another time was pirates, elves, one was Winnie the Pooh with stuffed animals, books, and footsie pjs for everyone including the teddy bear and newspaper hats and wooden swords like Christopher Robin used in one of the stories (probably not original).  Last one was going to be a crossing guard with a stop sign if I could find it...she has very fond memories doing that in elementary school; that was the last year before she became diabetic, but she asked to stop doing the 'big present' because she felt she couldn't get into it like it deserved for the effort and we have shifted to a much more low key version to keep stress levels low.

Unfortunately all the weapons we bought her now make her nervous with their sharp edges...well, besides the crowbar...so they are in storage.

Other family tradition is the Christmas dragon...started this probably 30 years ago or more as I was collecting dragons before I got married and just switched it to a family thing.  Can be a stuffed animal, sculpture, puzzle, movie, whatever.  Legos for everyone is another one.  I have gritted my teeth and not bought them for my dil the last two years because she just isn't into them and it is ignoring her individuality to get her something she doesn't want just on principle.

WOW, so creative, my kids would have loved this idea! The most I did with presents was change the names on them so they wouldn't know who the gift is for, such as naming them a character from a movie or book. 

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Well, we did this a week or so before and because of the heat they did start to rot. Halloween night they barely made it without looking awful. My husband sprays with a water bottle, water and bleach on them, but the heat got to them to quickly. 

We were lucky enough to have a lot of pumpkins big and small this year, some years aren't as good. My husband loves to create, and was a former ironworker, he'll come up with some great stuff with rebar and bar. He use to make wire pumpkins and had them at several stores. 

We got one pumpkin out of our two vines, but it was a good size and perfect shape; then my husband got too busy to cut it, so it is now sitting on the counter to avoid getting frozen while we decide if we want to do something with it for Thanksgiving....maybe a soup bowl.