Seriously No Politics ×

associating politics to religion

sdc999

I really want to be careful not to make this a political post.   With the election looming near, and none too soon, I see many of my LDS friends posting the quote loosely associated with Ezra Taft Benson.

"If you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil and you will be judged for it. You should always vote for the best possible candidate, whether they have a chance of winning or not, and then, even if the worst possible candidate wins, the Lord will bless our country more because more people were willing to stand up for what is right."

Right or wrong, I have challenged this quote often with the questioned reply of, 'so, the US has been blessed the last 4 and possibly 8 years?"   I get a resounding NO from everyone of the posters.  They follow up with that is why it is so important to vote right this year.  They happen to all be steering towards a certain LDS individual.  And that's great, if you believe in him.   But once they respond with "NO", I then respond back with, "what happened when millions voted "right" for Mitt Romney and the 'worst possible candidate' won?  According to the quote, we, the US, should have been blessed anyways.    Or was Benson only speaking of the 2016 election? 

I'm a big believer in allowing my Christianity to influence my vote, but I won't deny it once the results are in.  

2 hours ago, sdc999 said:

I have challenged this quote often with the questioned reply of, 'so, the US has been blessed the last 4 and possibly 8 years?"

Yes! We definitely have been blessed in the last 4, 8, years! We haven't yet been destroyed because the righteous haven't yet been kicked out, even though we have corruption running our country into the ground as fast as their lust for money and power will allow them to, for personal gain.

2 hours ago, waveslider said:

Yes! We definitely have been blessed in the last 4, 8, years! We haven't yet been destroyed because the righteous haven't yet been kicked out, even though we have corruption running our country into the ground as fast as their lust for money and power will allow them to, for personal gain.

It was a rough couple of years.

http://www.theonion.com/article/obama-help-us-destroy-jesus-and-start-a-new-age-of-29478

10 hours ago, sdc999 said:

I really want to be careful not to make this a political post.   With the election looming near, and none too soon, I see many of my LDS friends posting the quote loosely associated with Ezra Taft Benson.

"If you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil and you will be judged for it. You should always vote for the best possible candidate, whether they have a chance of winning or not, and then, even if the worst possible candidate wins, the Lord will bless our country more because more people were willing to stand up for what is right."

Right or wrong, I have challenged this quote often with the questioned reply of, 'so, the US has been blessed the last 4 and possibly 8 years?"   I get a resounding NO from everyone of the posters.  They follow up with that is why it is so important to vote right this year.  They happen to all be steering towards a certain LDS individual.  And that's great, if you believe in him.   But once they respond with "NO", I then respond back with, "what happened when millions voted "right" for Mitt Romney and the 'worst possible candidate' won?  According to the quote, we, the US, should have been blessed anyways.    Or was Benson only speaking of the 2016 election? 

I'm a big believer in allowing my Christianity to influence my vote, but I won't deny it once the results are in.  

After much investigation by several individuals. the above alleged "quote" from Ezra Taft Benson has been shown to be unverifiable at best and apocryphal at worse. 

If Clinton is elected..IMO...the next 4 years will be our undoing and the nation will have no one to blame but themselves.  It will have nothing to do with Benson...we don't have a best anymore.