Seriously No Politics ×

General authority edition of the scriptures

So I met with a general authority today and I noticed that his scriptures were not the size iam used to seeing they were thinner. So i asked about them he said they are the general authority edition of the scriptures. I then asked like the temple edition that sit on the altar. He said yes similar, but not quite.

i did not want to keep prying so I left the subject.

but I just wonder what are in them or taken out.

does anyone know.

or next time I'll just pry more.

That's what I meant by the temple edition which does not have the dictionary, topical guide, index.

But it was the comment he said that it was not quite the same that throw me.

16 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

So I met with a general authority today and I noticed that his scriptures were not the size iam used to seeing they were thinner. So i asked about them he said they are the general authority edition of the scriptures. I then asked like the temple edition that sit on the altar. He said yes similar, but not quite.

i did not want to keep prying so I left the subject.

but I just wonder what are in them or taken out.

does anyone know.

or next time I'll just pry more.

Books can be made much thinner and lighter by using very thin and sheer paper. I've seen thin paper versions of the scriptures.

Let's face it, we could essentially slash the scriptures down to about an eighth the size and they'd be more effective and helpful.  We might as well do it.  Maybe there's some inspiration here.  He's figured out what's useful and whats not and tossed out all the useless stuff. 

12 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

I can understand them possibly needing a larger font as this link refers to. I certainly need it as well. Perhaps they also have all the "And it came to passes" left out. That would cut down the size a lot. ;-)

5 hours ago, stemelbow said:

Let's face it, we could essentially slash the scriptures down to about an eighth the size and they'd be more effective and helpful.  We might as well do it.  Maybe there's some inspiration here.  He's figured out what's useful and whats not and tossed out all the useless stuff. 

It would be interesting to create an edition of the scriptures that only includes portions that have been cited at least once in General Conference, with just the chapter headings for the rest.  It wouldn't be hard to do...

http://scriptures.byu.edu/

10 hours ago, stemelbow said:

If memory serves, Reader’s Digest published (or at least contemplated publishing) a condensed version of the Bible as part of their condensed book series.  During the predicable uproar that followed, someone proposed the following book review, should the project ever be completed:

“In the beginning was the Word.  And the Word was too long.”  

On October 23, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Doctrine 612 said:

That's what I meant by the temple edition which does not have the dictionary, topical guide, index.

But it was the comment he said that it was not quite the same that throw me.

Maybe they leave the map section in, so they can continue to visit the world while bring them the Gospel. :) 

Deluxe-Quad-Antique-Distressed

Deluxe Edition Quad

$335.00

The Deluxe Edition Quad is a special binding of a brand new LDS Regular Size Quad of the Standard Works: Holy BIble, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price, with all study references bound into their own volume.

Each set of Custom LDS Scriptures comes in plush genuine leather (Cow, Lamb, or Pig – leather type is color dependent). Quad’s come standard with three ribbon bookmarks in the main volume, and one ribbon in the reference volume. This is a great set for that student of the scriptures in your life.

http://www.customldsscriptures.com/shop/deluxe-edition-quad/

Edited by cdowis
1 hour ago, cdowis said:

Deluxe-Quad-Antique-Distressed

Deluxe Edition Quad

$335.00

The Deluxe Edition Quad is a special binding of a brand new LDS Regular Size Quad of the Standard Works: Holy BIble, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price, with all study references bound into their own volume.

Each set of Custom LDS Scriptures comes in plush genuine leather (Cow, Lamb, or Pig – leather type is color dependent). Quad’s come standard with three ribbon bookmarks in the main volume, and one ribbon in the reference volume. This is a great set for that student of the scriptures in your life.

http://www.customldsscriptures.com/shop/deluxe-edition-quad/

is that even legal? doesn't the Church own the copyright thereby preventing someone else from making money off of it?

6 hours ago, Duncan said:

is that even legal? doesn't the Church own the copyright thereby preventing someone else from making money off of it?

They purchase the text and provide custom binding -->>

Q. – Are these standard LDS scriptures or a reprinted version?
A. – The scriptures we use to bind our sets are purchased from LDS Distribution, or another retailer if the gilding or size is unavailable at the time. That means if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints offers the scriptures, we can use them. We currently use the 2013 Editions of the Standard Works as printed by the LDS Church.

Q. – Why don’t your scriptures come stamped with the name of the church on the spine?
A. – The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints owns the copyright to that logo and have asked other entities to not use it on commercial products as they are not made by the church. We respect those laws and the wishes of the Church on the matter. The scriptures inside however do remain intact and therefore carry all standard features found in the Standard Works.

http://www.customldsscriptures.com/faq-frequently-asked-questions/

It is a home based business.

Edited by cdowis
1 hour ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

What's cooler than GA scriptures is baseball player and Mormon Bryce Harper got a gold edition of the quad. That would be cool to have but I have no idea where he got gold scriptures.

Gold Scriptures? That's easy -- From Moroni