Seriously No Politics ×

Deseret News calls on Trump to resign his candidacy

canard78

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865664336/In-our-opinion-Donald-Trump-should-resign-his-candidacy.html?pg=all

If he doesn't, will this see Utah return it's electoral vote for a democrat for the first time in... (however long it has been)?

Sorry... politics and religion probably don't mix.

So instead my question bringing it back to Mormonism... is this the closest the church will go to making any kind of comment on this year's election? Presumably there's not going to be a similar statement from anyone in the church?? Given the church's ownership of the paper, how close does this come to the church making a statement?

At the end of the article:

"Editor's note: The Deseret News, although owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is not an official publication of the church. Editorial opinions reflect the views of the Deseret News."

"The Church"  is not making any kind of comment or statement; those who are running the Deseret News are. 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

It is her husband that has the sexual immorality issues.  

Hillary has serious issues concerning:

"Paul Edwards, editor and publisher of the Deseret News, said he didn't run the editorial past leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"Our editorial team takes full responsibility for this editorial," he told The Salt Lake Tribune. "There was absolutely no consultation with the church about our decision to take this step."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4446222-155/mormon-church-owned-deseret-news-tells-trump

Edited by JAHS
4 hours ago, Calm said:

It is her husband that has the sexual immorality issues.  

Sexual assault and rape are more than sexual immorality issues and she covered for him and intimidated the victims.  I find that highly immoral.  They should both drop out.  The media always covers for the dems and downplays their scandals.  I think the Deseret News should have called for them both to drop out.  The Deseret News should demand a high level of integrity from both parties and clearly, neither of these candidates have that.

Edited by bsjkki
Tying the comment back to the op
3 hours ago, JAHS said:

"Paul Edwards, editor and publisher of the Deseret News, said he didn't run the editorial past leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"Our editorial team takes full responsibility for this editorial," he told The Salt Lake Tribune. "There was absolutely no consultation with the church about our decision to take this step."

Deseret News editor: Anti-Trump editorial was a ‘moral’ issue, but did not come from Mormon leaders

I stand corrected.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Sexual assault and rape are more than sexual immorality issues and she covered for him and intimidated the victims.  I find that highly immoral.  They should both drop out. 

Not disagreeing.

11 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Sexual assault and rape are more than sexual immorality issues and she covered for him and intimidated the victims.  I find that highly immoral.  They should both drop out.  The media always covers for the dems and downplays their scandals.  I think the Deseret News should have called for them both to drop out.  The Deseret News should demand a high level of integrity from both parties and clearly, neither of these candidates have that.

I so agree.  The defamation and threats Hillary made to Bill's conquests were way out of line and far from being supportive of women.

11 hours ago, bsjkki said:

They should both drop out.  ... The Deseret News should demand a high level of integrity from both parties and clearly, neither of these candidates have that.

At this point, I would settle for a low level of integrity.

I didn’t even bother to watch their first debate.  What value is a debate between two candidates, if you don’t believe a single word that either says? 

I remember a time when parents would say: “we may not have much, but someday, our son may grow up to be president“.  After this, I suspect that many parents will pray that their children do not

26 minutes ago, Sleeper Cell said:

At this point, I would settle for a low level of integrity.

I didn’t even bother to watch their first debate.  What value is a debate between two candidates, if you don’t believe a single word that either says? 

I remember a time when parents would say: “we may not have much, but someday, our son may grow up to be president“.  After this, I suspect that many parents will pray that their children do not

35 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I so agree.  The defamation and threats Hillary made to Bill's conquests were way out of line and far from being supportive of women.

Thank you for this.  I'm very discouraged.  I don't like Trump at all but I also feel frustrated with the hypocrisy on the left.  They vilify Trump (appropriate) but turn a blind eye to Hillary and Bill (inappropriate).  LDS leaders warn and refuse to back Trump (appropriate) but do they then believe Hillary is a more moral option?  I just don't get it.  One candidate is being supported in their sins and one is being called to repent.  Where does the true evil lie?   

*Just to be clear--by LDS leaders, I meant politicians and editorial boards that are lds--not our actual leaders.  

Edited by bsjkki
grammar
16 hours ago, longview said:

Hillary has serious issues concerning:

So when the Church excommunicates the man for adultery its the wife's fault.

It wasn't a crime to do  such. Just ask the FBI.

CFR

That is an outright lie.

2 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

So when the Church excommunicates the man for adultery its the wife's fault.

It wasn't a crime to do  such. Just ask the FBI.

CFR

That is an outright lie.

I wish I knew the truth. CFR indeed!

2 hours ago, mnn727 said:

Vote for someone vulgar or vote for liar and thief that should be in prison for Treason -- your choice.

For me, as much as I dislike Mr. Trump, Hillary has blood on her hands.  I can't handle that either.