Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon, but not LDS

I will likely always consider myself Mormon (among a number of other things). 

No complaints about LDS history/doctrine. Not offended by anyone LDS.

However, for crystal-clear identification of what/who I am: I'm not LDS. 

The specifics are private. No stories/explanations will be offered. But from here on, nobody should mistake my occasional input (offered here and/or elsewhere) as anything but outside input...from a neighbor. 

Fine by me.  A Jew is still a Jew even if thrust out of his synagogue, and even if his parents sit shiva upon him.  He is still a Jew by descent, culture, and heritage.  So too with the Mormon ethnicity.  After all, Mormonism is a way of life in addition to being a religion.  There are lots of Mormons who are not Saints of the Latter-days.

The Jews have a saying:  "It's hard to be a Jew."  We Mormons might just adopt that saying for ourselves.  We have a tough row to hoe of our own free will and choice.

5 hours ago, notHagoth7 said:

The specifics are private. No stories/explanations will be offered. But from here on, nobody should mistake my occasional input (offered here and/or elsewhere) as anything but outside input...from a neighbor. 

Thanks for sharing your view. I think it is important to understand where we all sit on the spectrum as we discuss ideas.
I am also a 'non-denominational' Mormon :)

5 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Fine by me.  A Jew is still a Jew even if thrust out of his synagogue, and even if his parents sit shiva upon him....

Yep. And double yep.

5 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

...The Jews have a saying:  "It's hard to be a Jew."  We Mormons might just adopt that saying for ourselves.  We have a tough row to hoe of our own free will and choice.

Understood.

Rumor has it that it can also be a challenge to forego the slipstream advantage of such things as community, paths blazed generations ago, etc.

I am human but not homo sapien. The details are private.

?  ?   ?  ? 

denisovans+.jpg

Edited by notHagoth7
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Unclear why you're hiding your Hobbit heritage.

However, for clarity, *my* reason for not going into detail is out of respect for specific board guidelines. 

(Plus there are some things that, for the benefit of others, are best not shared.)

Edited by notHagoth7
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Me too!  For more information consult the King Follett discourse, the Adam-God doctrine, and the temple.  ;)

7 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

:rolleyes:I respect you and your privacy very much.  But may I speak a fact....THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!  Okay..I feel better now. 

Thank you. Likewise.

Apologies for driving you nuts.   (My drive is, by definition, always a *very* short one.  ;))  

Glad that you feel better now. :)

On 10/4/2016 at 3:31 PM, notHagoth7 said:

I'm actually sorry to hear this nH7... but of course respect your choice and your privacy, and simply and sincerely send you all good wishes... I've enjoyed your posts, and will continue to do so I'm sure.

GG

Actually I am a member and consider myself LDS but not particularly Mormon or enfatuated with "Mormonism" which I take to be "ism"s which may well have been added into the teachings or doctrine by man-kind (even if priests or leaders with good intentions). Care should be taken to differentiate between inspiration, personal statements, and scenario speculation. For example, many or most Mormons state that Jesus the Christ was the "Jehovah" of the OT - and go stumbling on from there into more speculations often pronounced with great gusto and "certainty" - but Jehovah was and is just a modern-day academic formulation of "YHWH" which is more honestly translated as "Lord" or "I am who I am" - there is no scriptural pronouncement making "Jehovah" (YHWH) to mean Jesus the Christ even as pre-mortal spirit. So I claim to be seeking and open to inspiration and personal revelation as a progressing LDS member - but not particular a "Mormon" "Mormonizing" ...

9 hours ago, Tistanbul said:

Actually I am a member and consider myself LDS but not particularly Mormon or enfatuated with "Mormonism" which I take to be "ism"s which may well have been added into the teachings or doctrine by man-kind (even if priests or leaders with good intentions). Care should be taken to differentiate between inspiration, personal statements, and scenario speculation. For example, many or most Mormons state that Jesus the Christ was the "Jehovah" of the OT - and go stumbling on from there into more speculations often pronounced with great gusto and "certainty" - but Jehovah was and is just a modern-day academic formulation of "YHWH" which is more honestly translated as "Lord" or "I am who I am" - there is no scriptural pronouncement making "Jehovah" (YHWH) to mean Jesus the Christ even as pre-mortal spirit. So I claim to be seeking and open to inspiration and personal revelation as a progressing LDS member - but not particular a "Mormon" "Mormonizing" ...

Jehovah didn't become Christ in Mormon theology until near the turn of the twentieth century.
In the days of Brigham Young they were considered two separate beings.   Christ - a premortal spirit in the OT, and Jehovah/YHWH - a resurrected God.

I have to admit that I find the idea of being LDS which, pretty much by default, means accepting Restorationism, revelation, and a restored gospel and then deciding that you do not actually need all that revelation and prophet stuff that came with it. Seems to me like being a devoted tennis player but hating Tennis racquets.

On 10/4/2016 at 10:53 PM, notHagoth7 said:

Yep. And double yep.

Understood.

Rumor has it that it can also be a challenge to forego the slipstream advantage of such things as community, paths blazed generations ago, etc.

Sometimes it is hard to be a Mormon.  It also can be difficult being ex-LDS living in Utah.

8 hours ago, thesometimesaint said:

Homo Sapiens just means Wise Man. Our species is Homo Sapiens Sapiens "Wise Wise Man".  Nehor is just  being humble. ;)

Could be.

Or, Nehor is simply posing with an online male persona, but is in real life a Femina Sapiens. ??

• 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 5:31 PM, notHagoth7 said:

My automatic assumption, especially given that you cite issues involving board rules, is that you are implying that you are a Mormon sectarian, likely of one of the plural marriage persuasions.  

To which I respond, "Ho, hum", so long as you're not marrying underage girls. 

But, you indicated you decline to actually say more than you have. So, my speculations are rather moot. 

Be blessed, and hope to see you make many constructive and less-cryptic contributions to the Board. 

9 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

My automatic assumption, especially given that you cite issues involving board rules, is that you are implying that you are a Mormon sectarian...

? Sectarian. There's a broad spectrum of potential meanings: factional, separatist, partisan, parti pris; doctrinaire, dogmatic, extreme, fanatical, rigid, inflexible, bigoted, hidebound, narrow-minded.

Without further clarification as to your intended meaning, I won't pretend to know how to best respond to your assertion.

...likely of one of the plural marriage persuasions.  

Have lived with 3 cats and one dog all at the same time, if that counts for anything.

But to the best of my knowledge, I was never married to more than one woman.

To which I respond, "Ho, hum", so long as you're not marrying underage girls. 

Was 21 underage? (I certainly didn't consider such a union ho hum). 

(Meanwhile, as memory serves, my parents were both *much* younger when they married - some might even say "underage". Meanwhile, the song they sang together for decades on family roadtrips was "They tried to tell us we're too young...".)

But, you indicated you decline to actually say more than you have. So, my speculations are rather moot. 

I hope I've responded sufficiently for your needs.

Be blessed, and hope to see you make many constructive and less-cryptic contributions to the Board. 

Thank you. Be blessed as well.

As to being less cryptic, a gift of Christopher for you:

Christopher.jpeg