Seriously No Politics ×

I hear Canadian Geese and am homesick

Calm

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I miss Calgary. :cray:

I love my neigbours and community here, but I so, so miss Calgary.

Approximately when did you live in Calgary? (I lived there once, but was too young to know/remember anyone).

1 hour ago, notHagoth7 said:

Approximately when did you live in Calgary? (I lived there once, but was too young to know/remember anyone).

We lived there from 90 to 2003, the longest by five years I have ever lived in one place.  We just are passing that record this year, doesn't seem half so long, but probably because my youngest was 2 weeks when we moved there and 13 when we moved here (and she and I haven't been doing much since we got here, unfortunately).

Because of aging parents and the diabetes of my daughter and my sleep disorder (they were way more assertive in treatment down here; the only drug they were willing to give me that worked up there put 50 lbs on me and made my disorder worse in the long run....as predicted by all the experts...and they wouldn't give my daughter an insulin pump until 18 and she has a needle phobia, but they paid everything for my two surgeries...) and politics at my husband's job, it was a really good time to move, but I so wish I could have my back door go to our Utah yard (better paycheck means much nicer yard) and my front door open up to Canada so I could have the best of both, especially in July when it is so impossibly hot.

Oh, they were fun.  One Year we had like 5 feet of snow in January piled around the entrance of our driveway (we were at the end of a small culdesac that was a very small rise and then a small 'hill' dividing us from a busy street, so the snow would blow up the street at times and down the hill and get dumped right at our place).  No snow plow came through because street was too narrow to turn around easily plus too busy with bigger streets, garbage truck had major problems with snow.  The pile was just the result of back breaking work for husband and son, I didn't have the energy; but when the chinook came, I did my part by going out and digging a foot deep trench through the solidified snow/ice for a gutter a good way down the street so the water wouldn't back up into a lake even with the minor slope and then freeze, making it impossible to drive the slope of the driveway.

6 hours ago, sunstoned said:

Our Northern californa home, which was right on the Oregon border, was on the Canadian Geese migration path.  They would land in our fields down by the Scott river and would wake me up with their honking.  I miss that.  I really do.

Just a couple miles north of me is the Siletz Bay National Wildlife Refuge, which is also on the flyway... so we see lots of ducks and geese, which is wonderful.  Every year the No. 1 hole on the golf course is the favorite place for nesting for a small group of Canadian geese as they raise their gosslings... they all disappear after several weeks... only to reappear the next year... One thing I love about my area is the variety of wildlife... 

GG 

When we lived along the Missouri the Canadian geese would come in by the hundreds.  It was the same when we lived in Montana along the Yellowstone though slightly less numbers. It was a comforting sound and I still love to hear it.

Sounds can bring great memories with them.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

When we lived along the Missouri the Canadian geese would come in by the hundreds.  It was the same when we lived in Montana along the Yellowstone though slightly less numbers. It was a comforting sound and I still love to hear it.

Sounds can bring great memories with them.

Can you explain what they sound like?

26 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Can you explain what they sound like?

43 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I have so got to get out of Utah ..and see the world!!

You don't have to leave Utah, just get to any large body of water and you'll see some.  You can head to the Bear River bird refuge.  It's west of Brigham City and depending on the time of year they have a ton of different water birds out there.  Right now they have tundra swans flying in.  Word to the wise though, they allow hunting out there and so the place is taken over by bird hunters this time of year.  Wear safety orange vests if you plan on walking around!  

Willard Bay has birds as well.  Sunset and sunrise are great times to see them coming in.

Mass honking is not quite so hauntingly comforting as hearing a flock of a dozen of so echoing in the distance.  The individual honk lingers a bit, something that gets lost with too many.  They can at times almost sound like a hound dog.

This conveys the difference a bit between being up close and hearing it while they are in flight, but still doesn't capture hearing it 'out there' so that there is an echo and drawing out of the sound.  Turning the volume down so it is a bit faint can help remove the annoyance of the in your face experience when too close and one gets barked at.

Edited by Calm

Found a good site, but still turn the sound down a bit to get the effect:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Canada_Goose/sounds

The flight call is the one you generally hear here and the one that makes me nostalgic, especially towards the end when they are likely further away so the pitch drops.

I didn't realize how different context makes the sound. It is a musical instrument that can be both dang annoying and breathtakingly beautiful.

In Denver, they cause problems, my sister in law would complain about how much poop the hordes that would come there (lots of water) deposited.  Lawns would be covered in it everywhere, homes, parks, along the roads, ruining golf courses...

The resident population is getting dangerously high (apparently lawns on the edge of water and humans providing treats and garbage is the ideal breeding ground) so they are looking for ways to control them.  Hunting in the middle of the city isn't the best option and too many to trap.

A little goose goes a long way, I guess.  'Our' flock across the street in the park was just the right size, the poop factor in our yard never got annoying.  

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

You don't have to leave Utah, just get to any large body of water and you'll see some.  You can head to the Bear River bird refuge.  It's west of Brigham City and depending on the time of year they have a ton of different water birds out there.  Right now they have tundra swans flying in.  Word to the wise though, they allow hunting out there and so the place is taken over by bird hunters this time of year.  Wear safety orange vests if you plan on walking around!  

Willard Bay has birds as well.  Sunset and sunrise are great times to see them coming in.

I recognize them now..I guess I just didn't know they were called Canadian Geese.  Thanks so much!!

Edited by Jeanne
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Mass honking is not quite so hauntingly comforting as hearing a flock of a dozen of so echoing in the distance.  The individual honk lingers a bit, something that gets lost with too many.  They can at times almost sound like a hound dog.

This conveys the difference a bit between being up close and hearing it while they are in flight, but still doesn't capture hearing it 'out there' so that there is an echo and drawing out of the sound.  Turning the volume down so it is a bit faint can help remove the annoyance of the in your face experience when too close and one gets barked at.

I clicked on the one in the corner...that thing was a pet!!  Followed guy everywhere!!  These are great..thank you!