Seriously No Politics ×

Notes from a Seminary Class

I am a stake-called seminary teacher in southern Arizona (a little town called Sahuarita, about 20 minutes south of Tucson).  Every Friday, I ask my class to write me short notes telling me about their lives, upcoming activities or events, funny things that have happened to them etc.  This Friday, in preparation for General Conference, I plan to ask them to write a short note of support and love to one or more of the apostles.  I haven't decided yet whether I'll ask the entire class to write to the same apostle, or if I'll let them write to whichever apostle(s) they have an emotional connection to.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to ensure that these notes of encouragement get to their intended destination?

Thanks for the help.

The church handbook says that all communications to general authorities should go through your stake president. That's a good place to start; he may very well try to pass the notes up the chain. 

That said, my son's seminary class last year wrote a letter directly to President Uchtdorf and he responded very kindly. (And no, it wasn't my idea).

1)   Why not to the speakers (regardless of whether or not they are an apostle): why would we encourage apostle worship.

2)   And any letter that is individually addressed to an individual leader at c/o the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 50 East North Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150 reaches the office of the addressee.  They should be sent individually from an individual address (name and address) (and I'd suggest after conference and with feedback about a conference talk that meant something to them).

3)   It is too late now to offer encouragement and support for this conference.   It takes at least a week to get letters through the standard church security checks.

4 hours ago, rpn said:

1)   Why not to the speakers (regardless of whether or not they are an apostle): why would we encourage apostle worship.

2)   And any letter that is individually addressed to an individual leader at c/o the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 50 East North Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150 reaches the office of the addressee.  They should be sent individually from an individual address (name and address) (and I'd suggest after conference and with feedback about a conference talk that meant something to them).

3)   It is too late now to offer encouragement and support for this conference.   It takes at least a week to get letters through the standard church security checks.

Are they writing in seminary?  If so, then they don't know who the speakers are yet, but I would also suggest including all officers so if any wish to write to a female leader they can do so.  Be worth it to have it as a homework assignment.

Edited by Calm

You might want to have pictures of officers available for them to see ahead of time so they don't just go to the common ones.  Maybe the bios as well.  Give extra points for someone who looks up someone they don't know from the last few conferences, learns something about him or her and writes to them whether or not they speak this time. You must include the women's session and encourage any who missed it to watch it.  It was too great and too important to the young women to neglect.  And it wouldn't be a bad idea for the young men to watch and encourage the young women to watch Priesthood session as well.  Remind them that it is okay to write to someone from outside the US to help them feel less awkward and more connected to the worldwide nature of the Church.

Great idea, btw.

Edited by Calm
25 minutes ago, Calm said:

Are they writing in seminary?  If so, then they don't know who the speakers are yet, but I would also suggest including all officers so if any wish to write to a female leader they can do so.  Be worth it to have it as a homework assignment.

This is a nice idea..for young women anyway..can't imagine that the women in charge of General Auxiliaries get a lot of recognition.  In any case, I agree with bluebell and let the young adults decide.  I found a list the other day of all the speakers.  I will see if I can find it again.