Seriously No Politics ×

Random non Temple content Temple questions

Duncan

Some random questions I have about the Temple are as follows,

1) After a Temple is dedicated are non  members allowed to be in the waiting room?

2)Who does the lawn care? does the Church hire a professional gardening service? or do members do it?

3)Are Temple Presidency Councillors usually retired men?

4)I have heard you aren't allowed to give blessings in the Temple but have never seen it in writing, has anyone else heard that?

To the best of my knowledge:

1)  the waiting room is open to all individuals waiting for others serving/attending the temple.

2)  The temples I am familiar with are professional, trained landscapers who are paid for their work.  It may be different at other temples where the grounds are limited - I am unaware of a universal policy governing this area.

3)  I believe they may all be retired, but I am not sure - I have not read any specific policy to support this position.  As I write this I am getting flashes of memories of individuals who were self-employed and they just stopped working upon accepting the call.

4)  It is the policy of the temples I have worked in that blessings are not allowed to be given within its walls; written policy.  There may be exceptions to this policy, but I have never seen it occur or heard of such an exception. 

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

4)  It is the policy of the temples I have worked in that blessings are not allowed to be given within its walls; written policy.  There may be exceptions to this policy, but I have never seen it occur or heard of such an exception. 

Is that all types of blessings or just blessings of comfort/inspiration etc.? Meaning, if someone just broke their leg, falling down the steps could they receive a blessing? 

Edited by Rain
Just now, Rain said:

Is that all types of blessings or just blessings of comfort/inspiration etc.? Meaning, if someone just broke their leg, falling down the steps could they recurve a blessing? 

one wonders! I had a panic attack in the Temple when my sister got married and my BIL gave me a blessing but we didn't ask anyone's permission, we just found a room and did it

23 hours ago, Duncan said:

Some random questions I have about the Temple are as follows,

1) After a Temple is dedicated are non  members allowed to be in the waiting room?

2)Who does the lawn care? does the Church hire a professional gardening service? or do members do it?

4)I have heard you aren't allowed to give blessings in the Temple but have never seen it in writing, has anyone else heard that?

1)-I think so but i'm not positive.

2)-Usually they hire someone and then members help out (like with spring planting of all the annual flowers that have to go in).

3)-All that i've ever been aware of have been retired.  I don't know if that's a rule.

4)-i don't know what the hard and fast rule is but when i was serving my mission a 16 year old girl got baptized during the week (but not confirmed because that was supposed to happen the coming Sunday) and then went on the youth temple trip to the Portland temple that Saturday.  Once she was there everyone suddenly remembered that she had never been confirmed so they got permission for her to be confirmed in the temple.  The workers told her that she was the only one they knew of that ever got to physically be confirmed in the temple.  She thought that was pretty cool.

On 9/3/2016 at 7:20 PM, Storm Rider said:

2)  The temples I am familiar with are professional, trained landscapers who are paid for their work.  It may be different at other temples where the grounds are limited - I am unaware of a universal policy governing this area.

At the Provo Temple, it is male and female BYU students who are paid members of the BYU Grounds Crew who take care of that -- supervised by professionals.

21 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

At the Provo Temple, it is male and female BYU students who are paid members of the BYU Grounds Crew who take care of that -- supervised by professionals.

At the Seattle temple we had our own landscaping crew that were hired by the temple.  The grounds there are quite expansive.  It takes a full time crew to handle it.  As I recall there is a greenhouse they maintain on site to provide for much of the seasonal planting.  

3 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

At the Seattle temple we had our own landscaping crew that were hired by the temple.  The grounds there are quite expansive.  It takes a full time crew to handle it.  As I recall there is a greenhouse they maintain on site to provide for much of the seasonal planting.  

At the L.A. Temple they once had regular members and the missionaries all working on a huge landscaping overhaul.  But that was only a special occasion.

56 minutes ago, ERMD said:

I have known councilors who were not retired.

Blessings or group prayers are not permitted.

are these rules written down or the unwritten rule type of thing?

Edited by Duncan
1 hour ago, notHagoth7 said:

Perhaps this made a bit more sense at the time, as Jesus was the only Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the city.  It would have been difficult for him to visit everyone in need of a blessing in their homes.  The temple had many courtyards and other areas where blessings could be given without going inside the actual temple.

Today, members of the church are encouraged to call on family members or home teachers when they are in need of a blessing.  It would seem unnecessary to travel all the way to a temple to receive the blessing when the person giving the blessing is either residing with you or a neighbor. 

17 hours ago, Duncan said:

That would be a good question for a temple president.  I imagine they have many of their policies in written form, but probably only made available to those working in the temple.

On 9/5/2016 at 7:17 PM, Duncan said:

I work in the temple, and these issues are addressed by the temple  presidency periodically in the weekly training meetings.  They have their own handbook.

If blessings in the temple rules were not written down, I have no doubt that it would be a common practice.  It just sounds so appealing, especially if someone is feeling desperate and looking for anything that might make a prayer or blessing more effective.  People would start protesting it wasn't breaking any rule (which it likely wouldn't be as unwritten rules are rarely official and mostly tradition) and sympathetic leaders would agree, etc.

On 05/09/2016 at 3:57 AM, Storm Rider said:

At the Preston, England Temple we have a team of  5 gardeners who are full-time church employees. They fully maintain the gardens on the 15 acre site 

On 9/11/2016 at 1:22 PM, busybee said:

At the Preston, England Temple we have a team of  5 gardeners who are full-time church employees. They fully maintain the gardens on the 15 acre site 

I know some folks who are regulars at the Preston Temple, beautiful place!

On 9/4/2016 at 7:57 PM, Storm Rider said:

And the grounds are beautiful!

On 9/3/2016 at 6:11 PM, Duncan said:

On 9/5/2016 at 4:15 PM, ERMD said:

I have known councilors who were not retired.

Aaarrrr me hearties!  

Ye lubbers need t' keep yer terms straight!

• Councilor = a member of a council
  • Counselor = a person who gives counsel

(And of course you know that today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Edited by Stargazer