Being a member or believing does not exempt us from tragedy...it only gives us the tools to cope.

In the last three weeks, my daughter of 42 has lost three friends. One died of cancer, another on the day of that funeral died in an accident, then another went to bed and never woke up. She came to me and wanted to know why this happens to good people and good friends. My answer came in two parts after wondering myself. The first led me to understand that tragedies happen to members of all faiths, but that God and the Gospel gives us the means to cope, rather than acting as a shield. There are many who have or they are having a lose of faith due to difficulties in their lives. The second answer came to me as they often do in the form of a poem. The poem is meant to be single space...but it is hard to do with this format. 

My question before the poem, is to ask how some gain aid from heaven, while others shut down or give up. So I ask why, do some turn to God, and why others turn away from God and the "comfort" that the Holy Spirit gives? 

Why? 

Why? Is the question, for those who have to die.

Why? Is the question, for those now left to cry. 

Why? Is the question, for those who loved and lost. 

Why? Is the question, for those who've paid the cost.

Why? Is the question, when a child is laid to rest.

Why? Is the question, when a child chooses not the best. 

Why? Is the question, when a father will not stay.

Why? Is the question, when a mother runs away.

Why? Is the question, when evil in unveiled. 

Why? Is the question, when good has not prevailed. 

Why? Is the question, when we fail to do the task.

Why? Is the question, when we did not think to ask. 

Why? Is the question, when men struggle to be free.

Why? Is the question, when this dream they never see.

Why? Is the question, most asked of God by man.

Why? Is the question, God desires most, we understand. 

William E. Lee. 

So again, why do some draw closer to God and the Church? Why do others withdraw for God and the Church? 

Simply asked: Why? 

Papa..without going into the "why" for which I have no answer.  I want to give you a big hug and your daughter and all those involved in tragedy a hope that someday we can have those very answers.  Bless you always.

7 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

In the last three weeks, my daughter of 42 has lost three friends. One died of cancer, another on the day of that funeral died in an accident, then another went to bed and never woke up. She came to me and wanted to know why this happens to good people and good friends. My answer came in two parts after wondering myself. The first led me to understand that tragedies happen to members of all faiths, but that God and the Gospel gives us the means to cope, rather than acting as a shield. There are many who have or they are having a lose of faith due to difficulties in their lives. The second answer came to me as they often do in the form of a poem. The poem is meant to be single space...but it is hard to do with this format. 

My question before the poem, is to ask how some gain aid from heaven, while others shut down or give up. So I ask why, do some turn to God, and why others turn away from God and the "comfort" that the Holy Spirit gives? 

Why? 

Why? Is the question, for those who have to die.

Why? Is the question, for those now left to cry. 

Why? Is the question, for those who loved and lost. 

Why? Is the question, for those who've paid the cost.

Why? Is the question, when a child is laid to rest.

Why? Is the question, when a child chooses not the best. 

Why? Is the question, when a father will not stay.

Why? Is the question, when a mother runs away.

Why? Is the question, when evil in unveiled. 

Why? Is the question, when good has not prevailed. 

Why? Is the question, when we fail to do the task.

Why? Is the question, when we did not think to ask. 

Why? Is the question, when men struggle to be free.

Why? Is the question, when this dream they never see.

Why? Is the question, most asked of God by man.

Why? Is the question, God desires most, we understand. 

William E. Lee. 

So again, why do some draw closer to God and the Church? Why do others withdraw for God and the Church? 

Simply asked: Why? 

The answer to your question, IMO, is that some, in our limited knowledge of the big picture, project our own expectations of how God is supposed to act. When we do this we are always, inevitably let down when God, in is perfect knowledge of what is truly important on an Eternal scale, does He does, instead of our false projection of what we think He should be doing. We are either left to, "kick against the pricks," and withdraw from God, blaming Him. Or we humble ourselves, or get humbled, and draw closer as we learn His true nature, instead of our own expectations of what that nature should be. Just my two cents worth anyway.

41 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Papa..without going into the "why" for which I have no answer.  I want to give you a big hug and your daughter and all those involved in tragedy a hope that someday we can have those very answers.  Bless you always.

Thank you...Long for the days where my children's bobo's could be repaired by a simple kiss or hug. Now I must in my limits Ted way try to have the answers to their questions. They looked to a flawed man for answers about life and eternal life. I so often wish they more wise man to address their woes. I fear what I tell them, because they trust me. 

2 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

Thank you...Long for the days where my children's bobo's could be repaired by a simple kiss or hug. Now I must in my limits Ted way try to have the answers to their questions. They looked to a flawed man for answers about life and eternal life. I so often wish they more wise man to address their woes. I fear what I tell them, because they trust me. 

Every thing you say or feel comes straight from the heart.  Follow it.  You will do just fine.  You are a great "Papa".

20 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Every thing you say or feel comes straight from the heart.  Follow it.  You will do just fine.  You are a great "Papa".

When I fear and hurt I turn to God and scripture, while others become bitter and turn away; why? 

1 minute ago, Pa Pa said:

When I fear and hurt I turn to God and scripture, while others become bitter and turn away; why? 

I can only say that there are those who simply can't handle the Love of God.  Others are fake when they post here but in other places are mean and cruel......

That is why people like me look to folks like You, Scott and others to be lights along the path :)

That depends on so many things..I lost three people in a space of 18 months.  My mom and my husband just 3 months a part.  I have never prayed so hard or had counted on so many things that I was brought up with. All I had was hope that I could understand and belief that I would see them again.  There are bad moments of course..but not all people are bitter forever.  Sometimes that bitterness is necessary as a sort of mental defense mechanism to get through the pain.  Deep down we count on God and know that He is there.

Don't worry about the bitterness in others..just show the love and by example, even if they remain without religion, you can give them a light for the darkness and the knowing that you are a gentle hand on the shoulder without judgement and let them work it through.  Be there.  Just like He is.

Maybe if we take the question of "why" out of the sorrow..and eventually we have to do that, we can move on living a better life because we learned there is no answer but to love one another better ..with no regrets..and huge appreciation.  Time really does heal.  But everyone's timing is different.

Hugs to you Papa.

Edited by Jeanne