Seriously No Politics ×

Gephardt interviews John Dehlin

Tacenda

http://gephardtdaily.com/top-stories/mormon-activist-john-dehlin-calls-lds-churchs-excommunication-process-despicable/

I wonder if Gephardt is LDS. I thought this was pretty interesting, since it will open up some cans of worms. Surprised he did this, if he is a TBM.

At least it will open up more dialogue, and the members won't think people like me are horrible for having disbelief because of the items John mentions.

I honestly believe that most members don't know half of what John lists at one point in this video.

I do think John has balanced the podcast, to include more podcasts to include those that want to stay in the boat. I listen to Mormon Matters, and it's all about that.

I believe deep down John misses his days living as a member. But he couldn't coincide it with things he found.

At the beginning of the interview Gephardt says, don't all religions have that messy history. Not his exact words.

My mother always said, "You cannot go down the chimney without getting any soot on you."  JD is soot; he chooses to be soot; and I have never felt the need to roll in soot.

Living a life of faith has never been easy.  I have never known any religion that teaches the power of faith to also say that it is easy and that we don't need to do anything to have faith and have it in abundance.  Have you?

If one chooses to live a life of faith, is it necessary to build faith or should we all just sit back and wait for it to drop out of the heavens on our head without any effort of our own?  What did Christ teach about faith?  What did he teach us about being his disciples?  I am perfectly confident that no where on the list does it say we should listen - to study from - people of no faith and whose purpose is to destroy faith.  

Who destroys faith in the world?  The easy ones are those who are agents of the evil one.  Then the other are wolves in sheep's clothing.  What does scripture teach us about those kind of people?  

Tacenda, why in God's green earth do you roll in soot and then look in the mirror and wonder why you have soot on you?  Quit piddling around and choose - either be a disciple of Christ or not.  Quit whining about what others thing about people of weak faith.  Their opinion does not matter and never has. Your life is between you and God.  Your heart will be weighed in the balance not your neighbor's heart.  If you want to be of weak faith then continue doing what you are doing and be happy with your choice, but don't bemoan the fact that you have a weak faith.  If, on the other hand, you want a stronger faith then for goodness sake stop going down the filthy chimney!  The only thing you get from that ridiculous exercise is filthy, repugnant soot.  

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

My mother always said, "You cannot go down the chimney without getting any soot on you."  JD is soot; he chooses to be soot; and I have never felt the need to roll in soot.

Living a life of faith has never been easy.  I have never known any religion that teaches the power of faith to also say that it is easy and that we don't need to do anything to have faith and have it in abundance.  Have you?

If one chooses to live a life of faith, is it necessary to build faith or should we all just sit back and wait for it to drop out of the heavens on our head without any effort of our own?  What did Christ teach about faith?  What did he teach us about being his disciples?  I am perfectly confident that no where on the list does it say we should listen - to study from - people of no faith and whose purpose is to destroy faith.  

Who destroys faith in the world?  The easy ones are those who are agents of the evil one.  Then the other are wolves in sheep's clothing.  What does scripture teach us about those kind of people?  

Tacenda, why in God's green earth do you roll in soot and then look in the mirror and wonder why you have soot on you?  Quit piddling around and choose - either be a disciple of Christ or not.  Quit whining about what others thing about people of weak faith.  Their opinion does not matter and never has. Your life is between you and God.  Your heart will be weighed in the balance not your neighbor's heart.  If you want to be of weak faith then continue doing what you are doing and be happy with your choice, but don't bemoan the fact that you have a weak faith.  If, on the other hand, you want a stronger faith then for goodness sake stop going down the filthy chimney!  The only thing you get from that ridiculous exercise is filthy, repugnant soot.  

Oh boy, I'm sensing a pretty strong dislike for John. Where does this come from Storm? I know many LDS have left the church because of John's podcasts, but really think the anger toward him should be split, and the church deserves some blame also. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Oh boy, I'm sensing a pretty strong dislike for John. Where does this come from Storm? I know many LDS have left the church because of John's podcasts, but really think the anger toward him should be split, and the church deserves some blame also. 

Tacenda, I truly dislike the individual because I have never found him to be genuine.  I have always and for many years - well before he started to be more strident in his critical statements of the Church - that he was not an honest person; that he was wrapping himself in the appearance of sincerity, but his heart was elsewhere to be found.  

My statements were not that JD was soot, but that what he said, taught, and propagated introduced soot into the lives of all those who listened to him.  Regardless, this is not about JD - this is about you and your choice.  

6 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

Tacenda, I truly dislike the individual because I have never found him to be genuine.  I have always and for many years - well before he started to be more strident in his critical statements of the Church - that he was not an honest person; that he was wrapping himself in the appearance of sincerity, but his heart was elsewhere to be found.  

My statements were not that JD was soot, but that what he said, taught, and propagated introduced soot into the lives of all those who listened to him.  Regardless, this is not about JD - this is about you and your choice.  

I agree with you 100% about his insincerity. I first realized he was a phony when I watched him interview the son of a deceased promoment Church leader (forget who it was) and in the first part of the interview he seemed sincere and kind. But then toward the end of the interview he threw in a real zinger question that was designed to put the interviewee on the proverbial hot seat concerning his father. And I must say I have no problem with Dehlin doing that. But here's what I noticed: Just before he asked that zinger question, an expression of twisted delight came over his face which really shocked me at the time. It was then that I realized the entire imterview in which he seemed so sincere kind and was just a carefully-staged setup until he got to the real purpose of the interview, which was to put the interviewee on the spot with a typical anti-Mormon question. If Dehlin had asked that question while maintaining his previous demeanor of apparent sincerity and kindness, I wouldn't have minded or even noticed ; but that facial expression of self-satisfied fiendish delight still haunts me to this day, and it let me know his mind and motives are unhealthy. Some may say it's unfair to judge someone by one facial expression, but I sincerely believe in that brief moment I was given an inspired spiritual insight that let me know he was a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Edited by Bobbieaware
On 9/2/2016 at 8:12 AM, Tacenda said:

http://gephardtdaily.com/top-stories/mormon-activist-john-dehlin-calls-lds-churchs-excommunication-process-despicable/

I wonder if Gephardt is LDS. I thought this was pretty interesting, since it will open up some cans of worms. Surprised he did this, if he is a TBM.

At least it will open up more dialogue, and the members won't think people like me are horrible for having disbelief because of the items John mentions.

I honestly believe that most members don't know half of what John lists at one point in this video................................

In the four hours of podcast I listened to in the past, I was most impressed by Dehlin's lack of knowledge of Mormonism, and by his lack of skill as an interviewer.  He is in academic preparation for a doctorate in psychology, but I see no evidence at all of the temperament of a reliable shrink.  I would have no confidence in a man who prepares for his interviews so poorly, and whose knowledge-base is so empty.  I strongly contrast his interview work with that of Charlie Rose, Doug Fabrizio, and Tavis Smiley, just to name a few.  Dehlin's excuse for such poor preparation for his interviews is that he wants his interviews to be spontaneous -- so doesn't bother to read works which come up for discussion.  I know of no other professional who makes that lame excuse.  Moreover, during and after his excommunication process, Dehlin repeatedly contradicted himself and lied about what took place.  We discussed it in detail on this board.

37 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

In the four hours of podcast I listened to in the past, I was most impressed by Dehlin's lack of knowledge of Mormonism, and by his lack of skill as an interviewer.  He is in academic preparation for a doctorate in psychology, but I see no evidence at all of the temperament of a reliable shrink.  I would have no confidence in a man who prepares for his interviews so poorly, and whose knowledge-base is so empty.  I strongly contrast his interview work with that of Charlie Rose, Doug Fabrizio, and Tavis Smiley, just to name a few.  Dehlin's excuse for such poor preparation for his interviews is that he wants his interviews to be spontaneous -- so doesn't bother to read works which come up for discussion.  I know of no other professional who makes that lame excuse.  Moreover, during and after his excommunication process, Dehlin repeatedly contradicted himself and lied about what took place.  We discussed it in detail on this board.

I agree, sometimes I wonder if Dehlin is falling asleep. But maybe he is contemplating or really feeling a lot of empathy. Can't say, since I'm not him. Out of your list, Doug is the only one I know, and that guy is amazing with interviewing so many, nearly every day right? 

2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Dehlin's excuse for such poor preparation for his interviews is that he wants his interviews to be spontaneous -- so doesn't bother to read works which come up for discussion.  I know of no other professional who makes that lame excuse. 

Perhaps he got the idea from this guy (I never liked his interviews much to be honest, so boring):

Unlike many interviewers, King has a direct, non-confrontational approach. His reputation for asking easy, open-ended questions has made him attractive to important figures who want to state their position while avoiding being challenged on contentious topics.[39] King has said that when interviewing authors, he does not read their books in advance, so that he will not know more than his audience.[2][38]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_King

Edited by Calm

"Lie to Me" does its own mild misrepresentation about the science but it is a fun show.  

http://www.paulekman.com/lie-to-me/

Episode analysis by Ekman.

http://www.paulekman.com/lie-to-me2/

I love that he went to the effort of doing this.  Shows he is serious about being an educator plus a very wise move for PR purposes.

Edited by Calm