Seriously No Politics ×

Spiritual benefits of this message board?

Hi all I was wondering what you feel the benefits are of posting on this board. I ask out of curiosity as well as inside from others.  I have enjoyed this board as I can meet with people who have different opinions and have for the most part respectful dialogue with. Do you feel that posting on this board increases your faith? Or give you any other spiritual benefits?

Spiritual benefits?  They are minimal at best.

This is a place to discuss, for the most part, rather narrow approaches to the gospel and just as narrow approach to specific doctrines of the Church.  It has little to a broader, more complete approach to the restored gospel.  

I suspect that most Boards or forums are a gathering place for those who have something to kvetch about.  I don't think we have any more or less than most other similar forums.  It does get tiresome because it is so constant, but that just goes with the territory.

For the spiritual I go to personal study of scriptures or reading other related material.  

13 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I think I feel the most spiritual on this board when I feel understood.  Many friends here in different walks of life.  Now..I know that I don't have that testimony you guys all have..but I have a testimony of many, many good things I have learned in my LDS life and after.  I try to hold on to those good things.  I have learned to be open to each and every one of you on how you feel about things and your perspectives of the gospel as we know it on any level.  Now..all of you have seen me and Scott really go at it ..but guess what??  I can bet tht if we went to breakfast for Captain Crunch and talk Beatles..we would be great friends.  We all have a lot to offer each other and on a board ..it is hard to decipher and comprehend with just words..without expressions.  Overall, I think we do pretty well.  In any case, the Lord has sent me to be your pain in the #### child..:o And I thank you for your patience.

I do have a testimony of life after death..of being watched over ..and the joy of loving unconditionally.

Jeanne

I think you nail what Christ would want, and I appreciate your unconditional love shown to members of this board including...lucky me.  I was going to say I didn't get much of the spiritual on the board, but do feel yours.

I think there's a level at which we all really are brothers and sisters and I'm slowly learning how to interact with my brothers and sisters who see things from a different perspective than me.  Sometimes we find common ground, sometimes we don't, but I think the hidden purpose is always mutual benefit.  And occasionally we come across kindred spirits, where the brotherhood and sisterhood come easy.  Imo the brotherhood and sisterhood are real regardless, and extend way beyond this board, but this board can be a microcosm where we get to practice it. 

GG,

I do enjoy the times when we can really talk about the gospel and how it applies to our lives.  It just seems like those opportunities comes less often than we might desire. 

Rather than having a discussion about uplifting gospel principles there is a constant barrage of complaints about with Elder Holland said, or what the prophet did or did not do, the exaggerated whining about God knows what - just anything that strikes a critic's fancy for the day.  But, it will begin and end with the same exhausted topics of homosexuality, polygamy, church history, or women's rights or perceived lack of rights.  

2 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I've been participating since Nov 2005... Yikes, where have the years gone... it's easy for me to participate because I'm alone, widowed, retired... and I've made some really valued friends on this board... so, I keep posting.  Yes, I do get burn-out at times because of the constant poking and critics...  I don't feel like I get any regular or deep spiritual benefit and like Storm Rider I rely mostly on personal study and prayer, and Church/temple attendance, but every now and then someone will post something that truly touches me... and, I enjoy sending a personal message of encouragement, etc. from time to time... hoping that something I say or share will be of help or spiritual benefit to someone else...  

from the beach on a high-overcast but pleasant day... my home teachers visited me today... I have awesome home teachers who are faithful in their responsibility... can you understand how much it means to me... a 75 year old widow who lives with her cat... to know that if I need help I can call on these two good men... and I'm careful not to abuse that care and trust.  So let me encourage you elders to do your home teaching, build friendships and trust with those in your stewardship... 

GG

GG, you have a great admirer here.  You shine with love and friendship for all of us and I appreciate you.

I am just glad that these folks let me hang around. I am not the most popular guy here, but glad some feel I am worth adding to the atmosphere. Also many here I see as friends, and I enjoy their comments. My hope is that my threads and comments are not dragging the board down. :) 

46 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

I am just glad that these folks let me hang around. I am not the most popular guy here, but glad some feel I am worth adding to the atmosphere. Also many here I see as friends, and I enjoy their comments. My hope is that my threads and comments are not dragging the board down. :) 

You are the one person that builds everyone up..you rock PaPa!

43 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

You are the one person that builds everyone up..you rock PaPa!

I pray you are right and not just being kind. I love this board, it makes me feel less isolated. My injury does not allow me to get out much. 

5 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

I pray you are right and not just being kind. I love this board, it makes me feel less isolated. My injury does not allow me to get out much. 

I am right.  You are of great value..just in being who you are.. With your injury you show a lot of courage in just rising for the day.  I so admire your strength!!

6 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

On August 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Garden Girl said:

I've been participating since Nov 2005... Yikes, where have the years gone... it's easy for me to participate because I'm alone, widowed, retired... and I've made some really valued friends on this board... so, I keep posting.

GG

I hope I am one of those "valued friends", I have on many occasions benefited from your wisdom, and wish you a long life so you can keep posting. 

4 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

I hope I am one of those "valued friends", I have on many occasions benefited from your wisdom, and wish you a long life so you can keep posting. 

I'm fortunate enough to have met her, GG is in fantastic shape, and doesn't look her age!