Seriously No Politics ×

Wow! A whole100 people show up for "mass" resignation.

JAHS

LDS Church Mass Resignation draws modest, motivated crowd

"Those who stayed to hear speakers at this Saturday’s event numbered a few more than 100. Speaker and organizer Brooke Swallow-Fenton welcomed the modest crowd, reminding listeners that they were present to offer support those who wished to leave the LDS church, not to bash the institution."

Several prepared talks for the event but hardly anyone was there to hear them.
How many people represent a "mass" resignation anyway?

It is nice to hear that the organizer, Brooke Swallow-Fenton, reminded the crowd that the purpose was to offer support for those who wished to leave the Church and not to bash the institution.  However, the manner in which this event was advertised - a Mass Resignation from the Church rather than a support group conflicts with the purpose.  Maybe this group/organization is growing up and evolving into something better.  Time will tell.  

I think some people like to be one of many; however, there are others who have no need of such an event to make a major decision.  I am not fond of crowds; don't need or want a lot of people around me when I am serious about something.  The world is made of a wide range of individuals. 

13 hours ago, JAHS said:

"Those who stayed to hear speakers at this Saturday’s event numbered a few more than 100. Speaker and organizer Brooke Swallow-Fenton welcomed the modest crowd, reminding listeners that they were present to offer support those who wished to leave the LDS church, not to bash the institution."

3 or more?  The dictionary definition is: relating to, done by, or affecting large numbers of people or things.

As a percent of the Church 100 is hardly "mass" or even a "large number", especially when most of the time most of the 100 have been out of the Church for years making their resignation little more than a stunt.

In fact this entire article and event is a joke.

3 hours ago, juliann said:

What is the difference between this and telling people they can pray away clinical depression? Just wow. 

That being said..it worked for me.  I am waiting to here someone say...good riddance..like the last time there was a resignation.

Edited by Jeanne

From the article; Swallow-Fenton, a key organizer of the November event, confessed she considered not speaking at this Mass Resignation because she is running for a seat in the Utah House of Representatives and wasn’t sure voters would appreciate her involvement.

“Then I talked to my husband, and he said, ‘What would Bernie Sanders do?'” 

Well you would buy a $600,000 dollar summer home and move to the lake. 

3 hours ago, Jude2 said:

From the article; Swallow-Fenton, a key organizer of the November event, confessed she considered not speaking at this Mass Resignation because she is running for a seat in the Utah House of Representatives and wasn’t sure voters would appreciate her involvement.

“Then I talked to my husband, and he said, ‘What would Bernie Sanders do?'” 

Well you would buy a $600,000 dollar summer home and move to the lake. 

I hope to be like Bernie Sanders one day too preferably before I am too old to wakeboard and paddleboard.

On 8/14/2016 at 5:22 AM, JAHS said:

Is 100 people at sacrament meeting "hardly anyone"?

8 hours ago, sjdawg said:

Is 100 people at sacrament meeting "hardly anyone"?

For my ward it's a small number. The point is previous to this they were bragging about expecting much more than what actually came. 

48 minutes ago, sunstoned said:

It is unclear to me what the expected outcomes of this event were.   What are the organizers of this event expecting to happen?

In my opinion it's done as a protest of sorts, like those who now loudly oppose at General Conference.
Unfortunately it's pretty meaningless.
I would imagine the goal is to give others who have lost their testimonies the "strength" to quit the Church.  In reality, most of these resignations come long after the signer has left the Church.

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

In my opinion it's done as a protest of sorts, like those who now loudly oppose at General Conference.
I would imagine the goal is to give others who have lost their testimonies the "strength" to quit the Church.  In reality, most of these resignations come long after the signer has left the Church.

Hate to see anyone leave but It does reduce the number of members on the so-called "do not contact" home teaching list.

On 8/14/2016 at 10:45 AM, juliann said:

What is the difference between this and telling people they can pray away clinical depression? Just wow. 

It's probably just as common. I've only seen this in a clinical setting once. And it's fairly obvious why it would happen (very OCD in practicing the religion to the point of absolutely denying self. So letting go of religion allowed the person to set their own guidelines to living...Most people can do that without losing their religion). And in regular life maybe 1 other time. For a couple more it may relieve some symptoms but depression and anxiety aren't likely to just disappear. Although for depression, it could just easily be episodic. Episodes of depression stop after several months. So it could just as easily be a fluke of timing. 

Either way it seems like a reactive narrative to the idea of the "plan of happiness." It felt like this article was just a list of people insisting they were more real, more happy, more everything because of {leaving} the church. I'm usually suspect of magical cure-alls. 

The article also fits another thing I've noticed. I feel like half the time their descriptions aren't recognizable to the church I belong to. It feels like more of the people who were fed a lot of dogma on one end and to reject said dogma just swung to another narrative dogma to counter balance it. 

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams
7 minutes ago, BlueDreams said:

very OCD in practicing the religion to the point of absolutely denying self.

I think this is key to many of these people who say they can't take it any more. As members they take it to darn seriously to the point of trying to live every doctrine perfectly, trying to be the perfect Mormon doing everything that good Mormons are supposed to do, needing to know the answer to every question and if there is no answer then something must be wrong with the religion. Trying to live up to such impossible expectations plots a sure course to depression and wanting to give it all up. 

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

I think you are right.  I can't get behind these types of protests. I understand that people feel frustrated and feel they are not being heard, but these types of things don't do anything to promote understanding or communication.  

Sometimes I think you guys still don't have a clue.  Fifty..one hundred..thousand..it doesn't matter here okay?  As for support, people finally want to meet eachother and also this resignation also included many who couldn't attend but sent papers in.  I realize that it is a choice; but, people leave so much more than a religion.  If it makes you happy, yes, we lose.

On 8/15/2016 at 5:56 AM, Storm Rider said:

Is it a mass of people?

Yes, look at the def's below. They work!

mass

mas/

noun

a coherent, typically large body of matter with no definite shape.

"a mass of curly hair"

synonyms:pile, heap; More

the majority of.

"the great mass of the population had little interest in the project"

synonyms:majority, greater part/number, best/better part, major part, bulk, main body, lion's share; 

most

"the mass of our students are licensed drivers"

adjective

relating to, done by, or affecting large numbers of people or things.

"the movie has mass appeal"

synonyms:widespread, general, wholesale, universal, large-scale, extensive, pandemic

"mass hysteria"

verb

assemble or cause to assemble into a mass or as one body.

"both countries began massing troops in the region"

synonyms:assemble, marshal, gather together, muster, round up

10 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Yes, look at the def's below. They work!

mass

mas/

noun

a coherent, typically large body of matter with no definite shape.

"a mass of curly hair"

synonyms:pile, heap; More

the majority of.

"the great mass of the population had little interest in the project"

synonyms:majority, greater part/number, best/better part, major part, bulk, main body, lion's share; 

most

"the mass of our students are licensed drivers"

adjective

relating to, done by, or affecting large numbers of people or things.

"the movie has mass appeal"

synonyms:widespread, general, wholesale, universal, large-scale, extensive, pandemic

"mass hysteria"

verb

assemble or cause to assemble into a mass or as one body.

"both countries began massing troops in the region"

synonyms:assemble, marshal, gather together, muster, round up

How are you interpreting that language - just where did it become a mass using any definition?  Which one fits?