Seriously No Politics ×

Grant Hardy's Presentation on The Book of Mormon

Professor Peterson posted some interesing information about Grant Hardy's recent FAIR presentation.

From what I can gather, Brother Hardy talked about members not needing to believe in a historical Book of Mormon in order to have saving faith.

Can anyone who was in attendance elaborate further on Brother Hardy's presentation?

This sounds like it was a very interesting presentation. Any idea when the transcript will be available? 

1 minute ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Professor Peterson posted some interesing information about Grant Hardy's recent FAIR presentation.

From what I can gather, Brother Hardy talked about members not needing to believe in a historical Book of Mormon in order to have saving faith.

Can anyone who was in attendance elaborate further on Brother Hardy's presentation?

This sounds like it was a very interesting presentation. Any idea when the transcript will be available? 

where did prof. peterson post this? do tell!

52 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

I think the idea of a nonhistorical Book of Mormon is incorrect,

There are many in the Community of Christ who have taken this non-historical position, although they do still regard it as scripture.

12 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Interesting. I did not know that at all. Is this a recent development?

This attitude has been slowly developing over the decades. Also while the LDS Church sees the Bible and Book of Mormon equal in scriptural importance, the CoC emphasize the Bible as the more authoritative scripture. 

Statement from the CoC:
“While the Church affirms the Book of Mormon as scripture, and makes it available for study and use in various languages, we do not attempt to mandate the degree of belief or use” (Spencer M. Veazey, 2007, dismissing a proposal that the Book of Mormon's divinity should be reaffirmed. Andrew M. Shields, “Official Minutes of Business Session, Wednesday March 28, 2007,” in 2007 World Conference Thursday Bulletin, March 29, 2007. Community of Christ, 2007.).

22 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

But if the Book of Mormon does not contain real historical events, then people have been deceived. Especially all those
visitors who come to see the Manti Pageant.

Jim

On 8/6/2016 at 3:27 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Morgan Deane's presentation on August 4, 2016, in Provo, focused on insurgency in the BofM, observing that the BofM has the same flaws as any other legitimate historical source.

Deane pointed out, for example, that Nephite governments were like Greek city-states run by the elites.  When they were weak, that allowed for the rise of so-called "robbers" (Helaman 6 & 11).  Indeed, Deane noted that the victors write the histories which lionize one side and excoriate the other (as pointed out the next day also by Grant Hardy).  Deane cited Edward Luttwak on the consequent praise for the strategy and tactics of the victors as brilliant, even when it wasn't.  So one finds the text declaring the robbers destroyed, even though that was not true -- a recurrent problem whenever local elitists were dissatisfied (and moved by greed for plunder) and were willing to fund social bandits (Robin Hoods) on the margins of society.  Gidianhi, for example, seemed to want only a more egalitarian society with land reform.  Mormon edited everything to fit his spiritual message, thus denying legitimacy to satanic opponents -- who had to be described as lazy & idle, dark & loathesome.  One man's "terrorist" turns out to be another man's "freedom fighter."

Thats a pretty good summary! I'll work on having better slides next time.  ;) I also made some edits about heavy metal armor in the BoM. I hope you all get a chance to watch and find value in it when it comes out. 

On 8/6/2016 at 2:42 PM, Peppermint Patty said:

Brother Hardy just clarified his position a few minutes ago on that same thread:

"Just to be clear, I said that I believe that for someone who accepts the Book of Mormon as authoritative scripture and strives to live by its precepts, a faith in the Book of Mormon as inspired fiction can be a "saving faith," that is, faith sufficient to enter into the Celestial Kingdom. I think the idea of a nonhistorical Book of Mormon is incorrect, yet in the end, our relationship to Christ and the Church, and the way that we treat others, will be more determinative of our eternal destiny than our opinions about Book of Mormon geography, historicity, and any number of other controversial issues. And I suggested that everyone will be surprised at the Judgment Day by something or other, including me."

This is excellent.  I feel like I could comfortably attend Sunday school in an environment like this.  I think I could get something out of it and uplift others at the same time.  But when the majority of people in class consider my perspectives as a threat to their faith it makes things very difficult.

23 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Hi Jim, I think what Brother Hardy is saying is that people's opinions about geography and historicity can be distractions and are not necessary for our eternal salvation. Sometimes these opinions can become detrimental to our salvation if we let in the spirit of contention, like we've all seen sometimes with the competing geography theory camps.

In the end, what is going to be determinative of our salvation and what is the real meat of the Gospel is if we loved and obeyed God and helped others with all of our heart, time, talents, minds and soul. 

When we apply the doctrine of the Book of Mormon to our daily lives in furtherance of the above, then it matters not whether one views it as inspired fiction, allegory, parable or non-historical. The real power of the Book comes from its teachings and not its history, or nonhistory.

I think that's what Brother Hardy means. Although I could be wrong :)

Do you think this could include discussions about 19th century influences on the BoM, in a Sunday School environment?  I wonder if the paradigm that Brother Hardy explains is something that could realistically work at a Ward and Stake level?  

On 8/6/2016 at 2:30 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

His personal belief is that there were ancient Nephites, probably in Mesoamerica, and that the BofM authors were humans with biases and blindspots.  He sees the NT quotes found therein to be God's intertextual effort.  Moreover, he said, God has a plan and he intervenes in history from time to time.  Yet the notion of inspired fiction is also an adequate concept for some.

I wonder who of the semi-public figures will be the first to come out of the closet?

1 minute ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Which closet?  Your comment is a bit dense, which is not at all unusual for you, salgare.  A little clarity would help.

Who will be the first TBM to come out of the closet and proclaim they do not believe in a historical BoM.  I suspect many are in the closet

Edited by salgare
1 minute ago, salgare said:

Who will be the first TBM to come out of the closet and proclaim they do not believe in a historical BoM.  I suspect many are in the closet

There are always some so-called "true believing Mormons" who eventually apostatize.  That happens, particularly to those who hold rigid and brittle versions of Mormonism.  Inculcating ridiculously infallible, inerrant, and right wing views in some members does them no service and gives them no advantage at all.  Such a pattern of belief will crack and collapse all too quickly, leaving a former member who feels that he was sold a bill of goods.  And he is correct.  Mormon folklore is no substitute for the real thing.  One sees the same pattern among rigid evangelicals.  Such shallow pretend beliefs cannot be sustained over time.

Authentic Mormonism, on the other hand, is dynamic and resilient, able to withstand the buffetings of Satan with fresh equanimity.  The unexamined faith is not worth having, salgare.