Videogamejunkie

Rain

You have mentioned several times on other threads your prayers over polygamy. I read something this morning that may help.  It is in "Hearing the Voice of the Lord" by Gerald Lund. I didn't want to side track the thread so I hope you see this. 

"Because He is our Heavenly Father and because He loves us, there are times when He may answer those urgent pleas for help, even though we have not kept ourselves as ready or as worthy as we should have done. However, we are here to learn to walk by faith, and sometimes the only way we learn faith is to have a blessing withheld. Though we may be tempted to view this as a punishment or decide that God doesn't care, it is simply another manifestation of the principle that God, in all His wisdom and knowledge, decides when a revelation or answer to prayers should be given."

Edited by Rain

Thanks that does help a lot! I'll try to remember there might be a reason I'm not getting an answer yet or why the apostles haven't touched on the subject recently. I don't know why I waste my time worrying about what ifs though when the Lord has currently revealed I am to have only 1 wife.

Edited by VideoGameJunkie

VGJ I too have sensed your anxiety over this subject.  You have been offered some good advice here.  I am 65 years old, a HP, have served in many leadership callings, and have seen the blessings of the gospel and Church in my life and family's life.  But there are still questions that have challenged my faith and caused anxiety.  My current SP has told me he has the same feelings at times.  Not to say that misery loves company, but actually it does help sometimes to know that others have their particular challenges. 

I always come back to this: I know how I love my children and the most important thing to me is their happiness.  If I feel that way, imagine how God feels about his children.  His ultimate and greatest desire is our happiness.  Sometimes we have to just hang onto this and enjoy the ride.

3 hours ago, Flexible said:

VGJ I too have sensed your anxiety over this subject.  You have been offered some good advice here.  I am 65 years old, a HP, have served in many leadership callings, and have seen the blessings of the gospel and Church in my life and family's life.  But there are still questions that have challenged my faith and caused anxiety.  My current SP has told me he has the same feelings at times.  Not to say that misery loves company, but actually it does help sometimes to know that others have their particular challenges. 

I always come back to this: I know how I love my children and the most important thing to me is their happiness.  If I feel that way, imagine how God feels about his children.  His ultimate and greatest desire is our happiness.  Sometimes we have to just hang onto this and enjoy the ride.

Thanks that is comforting to hear.

8 hours ago, Raingirl said:

Unfortunately,  I am not surprised in the least that you would say something so disgusting and disrespectful.

I thought the same, but it isn't that far off, maybe he should have worded it differently. But I hate to break it to VGJ, some leaders in the church have said Jesus was polygamist.

10 hours ago, Raingirl said:

Unfortunately,  I am not surprised in the least that you would say something so disgusting and disrespectful.

I am sorry you felt that way, like Tacenda said, I should have worded it differently!

However, the word honey (in context) means "Attractive girls" See third definition . 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=honey

I said nothing inappropriate.  

Edited by TheSkepticChristian
1 hour ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

I am sorry you felt that way, like Tacenda said, I should have worded it differently!

However, the word honey (in context) means "Attractive girls" See third definition . 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=honey

I said nothing inappropriate.  

The urban dictionary is really not a place to look for word definitions if you're trying to engage people in polite conversation.

Even replacing the word honey in your original comment with "attractive girls" still comes off as sounding sexist. 

Ok,  going back to the point of my thread. ..

Read some more that may help VGJ. I'm going to quote it,  but hesitate to do it more - I highly suggest again reading the book.  I have read through about half so far, as I read the scriptures in it, and have learned more through the Spirit while reading it than I have learned from the book. 

"In chapters 4 to 12, we noted that the way in which revelation comes ranges from very direct and dramatic experiences to very subtle, almost indefinable feelings. It is a rich and varied process. We noted then, and we do so again, that we must take care that we don't assume that the more direct forms of revelation are of greater value and meaning to us. It is easy to almost covet the more dramatic forms of revelation, thinking that they validate our closeness to the Spirit and therefore our personal righteousness. 

How revelation is given is completely the Lord's prerogative. We don't get to decide whether we will have an angel appear or receive instructions through the still small voice. The Lord chooses. The revelation may come in an audible voice, a dream, or through a sudden flash of insight as we read the scriptures.  

Revelation is not a menu from which we get to select what items we find most appealing.  

This can be a great test of our faith. For example, a woman bears testimony on fast Sunday of a remarkable way in which the Lord answered her prayers. Someone in the audience may have been searching for months for a similar answer and has received nothing.  

Another example is... Those kinds of circumstances are commonly seen and are a part of life. Again and again, there is only one answer. God sets all of the conditions for the giving of revelation, and we must learn to trust His wisdom and timing. 

This is at the very heart of learning to develop faith or, as the Lord said to Abraham, to see how we will respond as He "proves" us (Abraham 3:25). In this process, we must take care that we don't compare ourselves to others and conclude that we are more or less righteous and faithful than someone else because of what has happened to us."

Edited by Rain
2 hours ago, Rain said:

Ok,  going back to the point of my thread. ..

Read some more that may help VGJ. I'm going to quote it,  but hesitate to do it more - I highly suggest again reading the book.  I have read through about half so far, as I read the scriptures in it, and have learned more through the Spirit while reading it than I have learned from the book. 

"In chapters 4 to 12, we noted that the way in which revelation comes ranges from very direct and dramatic experiences to very subtle, almost indefinable feelings. It is a rich and varied process. We noted then, and we do so again, that we must take care that we don't assume that the more direct forms of revelation are of greater value and meaning to us. It is easy to almost covet the more dramatic forms of revelation, thinking that they validate our closeness to the Spirit and therefore our personal righteousness. 

How revelation is given is completely the Lord's prerogative. We don't get to decide whether we will have an angel appear or receive instructions through the still small voice. The Lord chooses. The revelation may come in an audible voice, a dream, or through a sudden flash of insight as we read the scriptures.  

Revelation is not a menu from which we get to select what items we find most appealing.  

This can be a great test of our faith. For example, a woman bears testimony on fast Sunday of a remarkable way in which the Lord answered her prayers. Someone in the audience may have been searching for months for a similar answer and has received nothing.  

Another example is... Those kinds of circumstances are commonly seen and are a part of life. Again and again, there is only one answer. God sets all of the conditions for the giving of revelation, and we must learn to trust His wisdom and timing. 

This is at the very heart of learning to develop faith or, as the Lord said to Abraham, to see how we will respond as He "proves" us (Abraham 3:25). In this process, we must take care that we don't compare ourselves to others and conclude that we are more or less righteous and faithful than someone else because of what has happened to us."

Ya I need to look more for how revelation is given to me. The reason I have a problem with the subject is because I get answers from both sides that seem convincing. I get answers that tell me polygamy won't be a part of my personal eternity, and then I'll get an answer that it might be. I don't really care what other people's eternal experiences with it are, I just want to know if it's coming back and if I'm going to be living it in the Celestial Kingdom. But I do sometimes get an answer that says, worry about being worthy enough for exaltation first, because I might wind up in one of the lower 2 levels of the Celestial Kingdom and be a single ministering angel for eternity.

22 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Ya I need to look more for how revelation is given to me. The reason I have a problem with the subject is because I get answers from both sides that seem convincing. I get answers that tell me polygamy won't be a part of my personal eternity, and then I'll get an answer that it might be. I don't really care what other people's eternal experiences with it are, I just want to know if it's coming back and if I'm going to be living it in the Celestial Kingdom. But I do sometimes get an answer that says, worry about being worthy enough for exaltation first, because I might wind up in one of the lower 2 levels of the Celestial Kingdom and be a single ministering angel for eternity.

Don't quote me, but I believe the ministering angels are in the lower CK kingdoms. And people of other faiths believe they'll be married to their partners, so go with that VGJ. :)

6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Don't quote me, but I believe the ministering angels are in the lower CK kingdoms. And people of other faiths believe they'll be married to their partners, so go with that VGJ. :)

Well I'm not married to anyone yet and due to my mental health circumstances worry if I'll ever be temple married in this life.

42 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

Well I'm not married to anyone yet and due to my mental health circumstances worry if I'll ever be temple married in this life.

You're still young IMO. My nephew is 30 and single, and my brother in law is divorced and single and in his 50's. He joined a group of people and they have the best time! It may have started out as a Single Adult group, not sure. Have you tried going online and searching for groups to join according to your likes? https://www.meetup.com/