Seriously No Politics ×

A Side of Sacrament Meetings that bring unexpected blessings.

There is often discussion here and elsewhere of how boring Sacrament Meetings can be, but what of the unintended (well maybe) blessing of such meetings.

Sacrament Meetings...

Public Speaking Abilities 

Self Confindence 

Leadership Training

Sunday School Meetings...

Group Debating Skills

Individual Debating Skills

Class Prep and Presentation 

(Again) Public Speaking

One on One debating skills

Priesthood Meetings...

All of Sunday School skills

(In addition)

Interpersonal relationships 

Serving Mussions...

Working with others outside family relationships

Work ethic 

Public Teaching and Interaction 

It is clear that membership within the Church teaches and prepares us for more that just, taking part, or enduring a three hour block of meetings each week. It prepares us for life, work and play.

What other blessings can you think of, or...how has Church Service prepared you for life outside of Church? 

Your thoughts...

You can really see the difference in school between LDS and non-LDS kids in terms of giving a speech in front of the class. Even kids who are shy and aren't very good speakers have lots more experience, and it shows. 

37 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

There is often discussion here and elsewhere of how boring Sacrament Meetings can be, but what of the unintended (well maybe) blessing of such meetings.

Sacrament Meetings...

Self Confindence 

Leadership Training

Group Debating Skills

(Again) Public Speaking

Priesthood Meetings...

(In addition)

Serving Mussions...

Work ethic 

It is clear that membership within the Church teaches and prepares us for more that just, taking part, or enduring a three hour block of meetings each week. It prepares us for life, work and play.

What other blessings can you think of, or...how has Church Service prepared you for life outside of Church? 

Your thoughts...

Mission:  Facing rejection and getting on with life. ;)

9 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

For me, the adventure and romance of it all more than made up for the rejection and "adversity." I really enjoyed knocking on doors, even though the success numbers are small. 

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

Sitting on the stand in sacrament meeting teaches you how to sit for 70 minutes and not fall asleep.

No, I think that is called, "sleep sitting". :) 

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

I once got a promotion at work because the position required public speaking, and no one else in my department was comfortable doing that. Score one for church and mission. 

The same with my son, who got promoted many times because he was not afraid of the biggest fear everyone has; Public Speaking". He now works from home between traveling the country to teach and speak to large groups...earning $200,000+ a year. 

Just now, Pa Pa said:

The same with my son, who got promoted many times because he was not afraid of the biggest fear everyone has; Public Speaking". He now works from home between traveling the country to teach and speak to large groups...earning $200,000+ a year. 

It was a lot of fun, as I got to travel around Texas and give presentations to university audiences about careers in the oil industry and technical writing.

11 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

It was a lot of fun, as I got to travel around Texas and give presentations to university audiences about careers in the oil industry and technical writing.

Which is indeed a great blessing. Much of my success in the job market is a direct result of the opportunities of service within the Church. 

The best one for me is that I have learned how not to be bored. I have been learning, and I still am, how to listen to and recognize, personal revelation. As I try my best to get in tune with God, I pay attention to what thoughts come into my mind. As long as I am focused singly upon God and his plan of happiness for us, these thoughts are revelation. Sometimes these revelatory experiences happen so strongly that I can't even recall much of what the speaker has said because of what Heavenly Father wants me to know personally at that time. The same thing happens when I read scriptures. There are times when I have to go back and re-read the same passages again if I want to know exactly what they are saying. Being in sacrament, or reading scriptures, only are boring when I fail to do this, unless of coarse a speaker is using a whole lot of funny jokes in the talks, or relating some kind of very interesting story, which happens from time to time, but not all that often.

Now I find myself hearing and understanding what it is that Heavenly Father wants me to know at any given time, not just in sacrament meetings but out in the regular world as well, a lot more often than when I used to think that sacrament meetings were mostly boring. The key is trying my best to keep my, "eye single," to the glory of God, otherwise it is hard to differentiate my own inner thoughts from Father's thoughts, or worse yet from those of the adversary. Receiving revelation is never boring to me.

Not to mention having very little stage fright in situations of public speaking and performances. Another unintended consequence is gaining opportunities just because people have seen me at church and have some kind of opportunity to earn, or save, more money, or opportunities to have fun, etc., or getting to know people helping me find quality employees, and business partners, who are honest, that I wouldn't have known about if I wasn't going to church.

There are so many skills one learns as a member of the church.  Not only public speaking, but how to run a meeting.  How to set goals.  How to plan events and activities.  How to listen to people and share thoughts.  How to stick to what is being discussed.  How to end a meeting on time.  Sometimes how not to run a meeting, which can be just as valuable.  How to come up with creative solutions.  How to motivate others when they don't want to be motivated.

I guess I learned a lot on my mission and those countless hours in PEC.

4 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

Sacrament Meetings...

Self Confindence 

Leadership Training

Group Debating Skills

(Again) Public Speaking

Priesthood Meetings...

(In addition)

Serving Mussions...

Work ethic 

Your thoughts...

So true.

As an attorney....I have seen many people speak publicly.....professionally and even students (moot court competitions).  I am amazed at the lack of skills I see.  Invariably, especially with youth in the competitions, the best speakers have more often than not been LDS......

Not bad.

Church, in and of itself, is not what helps these kids be successful.  Success is made up of a myriad of things:  family, friends, and experiences just to name a few.  I have seen some great youth speakers at the LDS church. I have seen some terrible speakers as well.   What I did notice amongst the more successful ones was that their parents were usually successful.  Not only that.  Their parents also took an active role in their education and in their lives in general.  This holds true to those not in the LDS church as well.  My wife and I were very involved with our children's education.   I watched my daughter perform flawlessly in front of over 10k people at a state event.  I've seen my second daughter address large crowds regularly without hesitation or fear.   

CountryBoy, I agree with your statement, " I am amazed at the lack of skills I see".  Education and lack of parental involvement are rampant these days.  

I do not discount the role that church plays in shaping a child, but it is just 'one' piece of a much larger puzzle.  Put down your cell phones, turn off the TV and have a conversation with your child.  

18 hours ago, ksfisher said:

Sitting on the stand in sacrament meeting teaches you how to sit for 70 minutes and not fall asleep.

My dad worked rotating shifts for most of his career.  He was a counselor in a bishopric for 3 1/2 years.  He was able to manage the whole "not-falling-asleep-on-the-stand" thingy ... most of the time.  Before I die, I'd like to conduct at least one general meeting in the Church so that I can announce a fake closing hymn for the benefit of anyone who may have dozed off: "We'd like to thank all of those who have participated in our meeting today.  The Spirit has been here, and we have been well fed and richly blessed.  Our closing hymn will be number 248, Up, Awake, Ye Defenders of Zion, after which the benediction will be offered by ..." :D:rofl::D 

18 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Dating (or not): Facing rejection, and getting on with life. ;) (Sorry. :huh:  I had to do it!)

22 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

Group Debating Skills

Don't know what Sunday school classes you get to attend, but can I visit?
I have never seen any real debate.  It's rare enough for someone to stray from the manual, let alone allow any opposing viewpoint.

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

I have never seen any real debate.  It's rare enough for someone to stray from the manual, let alone allow any opposing viewpoint.

True, this is not always the case, and before my Ward boundaries got changed there was not much. When I taught Gospel Doctrine (which in my 37+ years, total 25 teaching it) I would not only encourage it, I would guide people into it. I had so many opportunites to speak and teach in the Church early on in small military branches, I was able to make a very good part time and full time living doing so...this is one of the blessing I received from Church service. 

On 7/20/2016 at 5:24 AM, JLHPROF said:

There have been a few pretty good debates in our Gospel Doctrine class. You can always come to my ward, although it doesn't happen every week, given a month or two I'm quite certain you will hear a couple of decent debating remarks that go back and forth a little bit, before getting reigned in and redirected. My ward is pretty laid back, and is quite patient with things that don't seem to fly in the wards that exist in the cities, or in the mainland. There seems to be a bit more tolerance from the mainstream etiquettes I see in other places I have been. For all it's imperfectness, at least there is a lot of love shown towards one another, our number one redeeming quality. So it can make for some interesting differences that are embraced anyway.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:13 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

My dad worked rotating shifts for most of his career.  He was a counselor in a bishopric for 3 1/2 years.  He was able to manage the whole "not-falling-asleep-on-the-stand" thingy ... most of the time.  Before I die, I'd like to conduct at least one general meeting in the Church so that I can announce a fake closing hymn for the benefit of anyone who may have dozed off: "We'd like to thank all of those who have participated in our meeting today.  The Spirit has been here, and we have been well fed and richly blessed.  Our closing hymn will be number 248, Up, Awake, Ye Defenders of Zion, after which the benediction will be offered by ..." :D:rofl::D 

I promise..this was an accident.  At home on my piano..I had a conduit of songs that ran together...Rock of Ages..We Thank Thee O' God for Our Prophet" and even "O Holy Night" I had contrived to run together..one song after another...some church and some cultural songs that ran together.  Oh my heck, I was playing prelude music when I accidently added"Jesus Christ Superstar"!!!!!!  Not one person noticed .not one..wake up people!!:o

• 2 weeks later...