Help with 26 year old full dependent and Medicare

Calm

Thanks, that confirms what the federal guy said, but I can't get someone from the state level...just asks for id info than says it is invalid, rinse, repeat.

And the forms ask about local as well???

We figure because US doesn't qualify and she is claimed as a dependent in a nonlow income family, she wouldn't qualify from what I have read, but there is nothing that specifically says that.  Just want to dot the i and cross ts, but I think we have done die diligence...tried to get info from actual agency, one rep talked to and when couldn't get that, one website consulted.

So that leaves "local medicare" which can't find yet what it is unless it is just the local offices that help.

It never appealed to us to try given her dad makes a good income and with insurance and claming her as a dependent on taxes it has not been a hardship.  For me it had the added feeling we were giving up on her or at least on hope that something could change soon.  I don't want her to think of herself as disabled since when the meds are working, it becomes all about attitude.  Unfortunately meds were only really working for about a year and now back to roller coasting (that isn't great days and bad days, that is switching between issues blowing up).  If she can't get insurance with us, we may have to explore disability as it will likely amount to ten thousand in costs (added:  the year she needs a new pump, apparently just thousands of dollars otherwise...I am guessing about 4-500 a month) that starts getting tight.  Her diabetes is controlled and I know it is extremely hard to get disability for Restless Legs (not one of those disorders you can point to a test for, it is excluding of other problems and lots of history).  I have no clue about emotional disabilities but it doesn't look good given I don't see stuff mentioned.

Edited by Calm

If she makes little income, she may drop through the cracks if your state did not expand medicaid in their ACA exchange.  But if your state did expand medicaid, she may not owe very much because the subsidy may pick up all or most of the tab.

Too bad Utah didn't expand medicaid further: "Instead, a GOP-House generated plan was passed and signed by a disappointed Herbert, which only covers around 16,000 of Utah’s poorest, sickest people and doesn’t get the extra funds that would have come through Obamacare’s expansion."

1 hour ago, rpn said:

If she makes little income, she may drop through the cracks if your state did not expand medicaid in their ACA exchange.  But if your state did expand medicaid, she may not owe very much because the subsidy may pick up all or most of the tab.

3 hours ago, rpn said:

She makes no income.  She is unable to hold any sort of job for emotion reasons though of course the context that she has a family that can provide for her lowers the emotional need to have a job so that anxiety over being able to eat, etc. never enters the picture.

We are hoping that if a medication can be found that sticks and doesn't fade in a few months that eventually she will be able to teach young kids piano or at least do data entry through her brother's contacts, but her brother and his wife are willing and look to be able to step into the provider/caregicer role when my husband and I are gone or nonfunctional.  We are all happy to do so.  She is not difficult to be around, very sweet, very loving, just very fragile.  

We just want to ensure she has the best medical care available for as long as possible so saving money in the here and now so there is more money later seems wisdom.

On 7/14/2016 at 1:32 PM, Calm said:

Thanks, that confirms what the federal guy said, but I can't get someone from the state level...just asks for id info than says it is invalid, rinse, repeat.

And the forms ask about local as well???

We figure because US doesn't qualify and she is claimed as a dependent in a nonlow income family, she wouldn't qualify from what I have read, but there is nothing that specifically says that.  Just want to dot the i and cross ts, but I think we have done die diligence...tried to get info from actual agency, one rep talked to and when couldn't get that, one website consulted.

So that leaves "local medicare" which can't find yet what it is unless it is just the local offices that help.

Medicare is federal. Medicaid is administered by the states.

Thanks, hadn't realized the distinction.

Is Medicaid something we should be looking into for my 86 year old mom?  Her income is limited, but she has a very nice family trust backing her up.

14 minutes ago, Calm said:

Thanks, hadn't realized the distinction.

Is Medicaid something we should be looking into for my 86 year old mom?  Her income is limited, but she has a very nice family trust backing her up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to get rid of almost all of your assets to be eligible for Medicaid... This is something I'm also going to have to check out because as I age I may need assisted living in a facility... 

GG

Wow, we just found out that her insulin is 700 a month, not 300.  Plus I forgot a 300 med (it is a extended release, the generic is $3, lol).  So her expenses could well be $1500 a month.

Sigh.

Unfortunately, the system is set up so that you have to be dirt poor to take advantage of the benefits, or so rich that it doesn't matter.  The middle class bears the brunt of it as it always has.  I hope it works out for you.  Financial stress is always compounded when you have to deal with the government.  And if it gets to the point of asking for help, I hope you don't hesitate to contact your bishop.

Thankfully we are upper middle class.  Worse comes to worse, we grit our teeth and downsize.  We haven't needed this size of house for 10 years since our son, his wife, and their first kid moved out, have never needed this size yard (though my husband has gotten a lot of satisfaction out of working in it no matter how much he protests) and only haven't moved because we adore the people around us and it will be heartbreaking to move away....plus all the work and bureaucracy that comes along with the move.  However, we will just move a few miles away into SF close by our son's so there are positives about moving as well.

On 7/16/2016 at 2:15 PM, Garden Girl said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to get rid of almost all of your assets to be eligible for Medicaid... This is something I'm also going to have to check out because as I age I may need assisted living in a facility... 

GG

The asset/income requirements for medicaid vary by state. So carefully check out your options. Medicare isn't based on income so it may be a better choice.