Seriously No Politics ×

Why Are You Up Late?

Of all the reasons to take a child to the ER, my son thinks he has a spider bite on his bum.  He thought it was getting better, whatever it was, but he started screaming hysterically tonight.  My husband is taking him so our baby won't become hysterical.  :( 

Why are you up late?

Haven't taken the knockout punch yet because too awake because nervous that the washer is busted as the clothes aren't spinning dry as much.  It is 13 years old which is the average life span.

Not a fun thing to worry about!

I have been faffing about in my hotel room folding wash and ironing clothes. Who knew even neatly folded items in a 200 degree car trunk would come out looking like mangled rags?  I just had to get that tidied up. and I made about 1000 dollars worth of hotel reservations ( I am not really kidding) for the next couple of weeks. and I spoke to Himself three times while booking rooms.  I am tired. but not tired enough to sleep. ugh.

So any word on the spider bite?

Looks like the only problem is the extended spin cycle, so at most I do a drain/spin at the end of the wash cycle.

Edited by Calm

My body is stupid. It wants to sleep in the day time and "party" at night. Too many years working the grave yard shift. But now that I am unemployed, it still refuses to embrace its new reality.

Glenn

Not last night but the night before, I was up all night with worrying over grand kids sleeping near me and having accidentally taken my thyroid pill instead of my sleeping pill, which made the next day crap. I wish I could sleep like others do. 

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Can't sleep, clown will eat me

Did you watch the new Poltergeist?  We just watched it the other night. :D

So they don't know how it started, but he has an abscess.  They weren't sure how deep the infection went, so they did a CT scan and bloodwork.  Those were OK, so they drained the abscess, filled it with packing, and gave him morphine while he was there too. They asked my husband, "Why didn't you bring him in sooner?"  He said, "I didn't know about it until yesterday!"  They were camping/volunteering at day camp.  He had told me about his "spider bite", but he's not at an age where he wants me looking at his bum.  I was going to take him to the doctor until he said it was getting better, then suddenly last night he was hysterical. 

They didn't get home until almost 7am.  It was a two hour wait or so for the CT scan.

2 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

My body is stupid. It wants to sleep in the day time and "party" at night. Too many years working the grave yard shift. But now that I am unemployed, it still refuses to embrace its new reality.

Glenn

Have you tried melatonin?  Don't need the massive amounts they give, usually .5 mg is more than enough and don't take after midnight on a regular basis as that can screw up the immune system (while before appears to help).

Also get outside for at least 20 minutes as soon as possible after waking up.  And if you can't manage that, then a light box is a good alternative.  You can check your email and the board upon waking up.

1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

So they don't know how it started, but he has an abscess.  They weren't sure how deep the infection went, so they did a CT scan and bloodwork.  Those were OK, so they drained the abscess, filled it with packing, and gave him morphine while he was there too. They asked my husband, "Why didn't you bring him in sooner?"  He said, "I didn't know about it until yesterday!"  They were camping/volunteering at day camp.  He had told me about his "spider bite", but he's not at an age where he wants me looking at his bum.  I was going to take him to the doctor until he said it was getting better, then suddenly last night he was hysterical. 

They didn't get home until almost 7am.  It was a two hour wait or so for the CT scan.

Wow...too bad it was the weekend, but a good thing they went.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Have you tried melatonin?  Don't need the massive amounts they give, usually .5 mg is more than enough and don't take after midnight on a regular basis as that can screw up the immune system (while before appears to help).

Also get outside for at least 20 minutes as soon as possible after waking up.  And if you can't manage that, then a light box is a good alternative.  You can check your email and the board upon waking up.

I haven't tried any type of medication. Maybe I need something to delay the release if the natural melatonin. I usually am up by six o'clock in the morning and head over to my brother's shop soon afterwards. Get back to the house usually by five or six P.M. Pretty much after I stop being active physically it begins to hit me. But I cannot keep going like I used to and will succumb to the eyelid seduction even if I am interested in what is going on around me. But, even if I do not doze off, my brain will start becoming more active around nine o'clock and I will lie in bed with my thoughts churning, often for three or four hours. I try to blank my brain, cease thinking about anything, but that is hard, because I start thinking about not thinking. Strange thing is that I normally wake up without needing an alarm clock, even though there is no unconscious compulsion, no need to wake up at a specific time to get ready to go to work.

Glenn

5 hours ago, MorningStar said:

no way have I seen that!

3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

What a  bum deal Morning Star..glad everything is okay now.  Gees..I would have hooked up on this site last night if I had known anyone was as sleepless as I was!:P

Jeanne...Both my sis and I regularly go to bed between 2:00 - 3:00 a,m.  I have to take into account our 2-hour time difference but sometimes we talk about midnight my time (2:00 a.m. her time).  We're both old women who live with our cats and don't have to think about what time we get up... of course I have a cat with an inner clock set and 5:00 a.m. and he comes in and starts dancing across my chest to wake me up.  I feed him and then settle into my favorite chair (with him on the ottoman) and we nap for a couple more hours.  And, I've gotten into the habit of napping for about an hour in the afternoons... something I thought I'd never do... I seem to get enough sleep...

GG

3 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

But, even if I do not doze off, my brain will start becoming more active around nine o'clock and I will lie in bed with my thoughts churning, often for three or four hours. I try to blank my brain, cease thinking about anything, but that is hard, because I start thinking about not thinking. Strange thing is that I normally wake up without needing an alarm clock, even though there is no unconscious compulsion, no need to wake up at a specific time to get ready to go to work.

Glenn

Glenn... It's all those hours on graveyard and your inner clock... Have you tried turning on the radio and listening to nice music, like light classical... something relaxing that allows you to drift without thinking.  Sometimes I listen to this show called Red Eye (conservative talk radio) and I'm usually asleep in a half hour or less... 

GG

58 minutes ago, bluebell said:

That's crazy MS!  Is his rear-end feeling better now?

He's not screaming anymore, but he also can't sit comfortably.  :(

12 hours ago, Duncan said:

Can't sleep, clown will eat me

Ooooo..what is it about clowns..they scare me too.  I don't have a clue why! They just give me the heebie jeebies!

GG...I go to work at about 3:30 am..so my nap time in the afternoon is my deep sleep.  Too afraid I won't get up for work I guess.  I envy you and your sis in that you don't have to have a clock.  Hugs, Jeanne

49 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Glenn... It's all those hours on graveyard and your inner clock... Have you tried turning on the radio and listening to nice music, like light classical... something relaxing that allows you to drift without thinking.  Sometimes I listen to this show called Red Eye (conservative talk radio) and I'm usually asleep in a half hour or less... 

GG

My wife used to have a tape she listened to with ocean sounds, etc. which really helped her. But it was on cassette and both it and our cassette system are things of the past. I am going to look into getting something on cd. My real need is to somehow keep myself awake in the evenings. I don't know if it is early melatonin release or the fact that I am older than I used to be and just get worn out.

Glenn

12 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

My wife used to have a tape she listened to with ocean sounds, etc. which really helped her. But it was on cassette and both it and our cassette system are things of the past. I am going to look into getting something on cd. My real need is to somehow keep myself awake in the evenings. I don't know if it is early melatonin release or the fact that I am older than I used to be and just get worn out.

Glenn

If you have a tablet or iPhone there are apps you can get for free that have all sorts of soothing sounds like that. 

6 hours ago, bluebell said:

If you have a tablet or iPhone there are apps you can get for free that have all sorts of soothing sounds like that. 

Got a tablet, sort of. One grandkid or another always has it co-opted somehow. And during the summer vacation, too late at night for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I get it back....

Glenn

1 hour ago, Glenn101 said:

Got a tablet, sort of. One grandkid or another always has it co-opted somehow. And during the summer vacation, too late at night for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I get it back....

Glenn

We had one we used for our third son because he couldn't sleep without white noise. It had rain, ocean, morning forest, rain forest, vacuum, fan, night forest, storm, waterfall. It was crazy!

I found I couldn't use the rain setting if I was sleeping next to him because my subconscious kept waking me up thinking he was getting wet.