Seriously No Politics ×

Prayer request please

Could you all pray for my sister. She is manic depressive/bi polar and she had an episode last week. She is 63 years old and she lives with her dog Finnegan in an apartment. She only gets an episode about once every few years. She has a caregiver but if she doesn't recover soon they will put her in a home. It won't be good, she needs Finnegan. I live 400 miles away. I had her live with us at various times but it just doesn't work on the boat. I would appreciate your prayers for a speedy recovery. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear this, Rod... do you think she would mind if you shared her first name?  Although, I do believe Heavenly Father knows if we say "Rod's sister"... so. prayers going forward... for your sister... and for you and Patti also...

GG

6 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I'm sorry to hear this, Rod... do you think she would mind if you shared her first name?  Although, I do believe Heavenly Father knows if we say "Rod's sister"... so. prayers going forward... for your sister... and for you and Patti also...

GG

Sure, her name is  Shelley.

Nothing was quite as distressing to me as having my own dear little sister go through a severe bout of manic depression.  Since she lives 1,200 miles away, the only thing I could do for her was to pray and to talk to her on the phone--so that's what I did.  We talked for hours and hours over the course of a few months.  My goal was to reminisce to help her recall that there had been times when she had been happy, and then to try to get her to remember why she had been happy.  Eventually, we got to the point where we could remember things/events that had been funny and hilarious to us as children and in fact still are hilarious.  So, we started laughing together--we laughed a lot.  I don't know if ultimately all our talking served any kind of therapeutic purpose or not.  She was also under medical care and took strong medications.  It was very difficult to find the right ones and to find the right doses.  But eventually things started to even out for her.  And after a while, she was able to begin tapering off the meds.  She's been completely off now for over 2 years.  It's such a blessing to have her kind, loving and laughing spirit in my life.  I remember feeling that I would do anything to have her healthy again.  Those were intense prayers.

I will add you and your sister to my prayers.

If it's an assisted living scenario (rather than facility), it's likely subject to FHA/ADA, in which case an emotional companionship animal will fall within the protections granted a service animal.  If your sister currently sees a psychiatrist (or even licensed therapist), they can write a prescription letter for the critter.  I have one for my Pooka monster, so that if I ever lose my home, or have to move into a rental, she can live with me no matter what the policies are of the place I end up landing.  Added bonus is she can fly with me if I ever have the need.

I'm sorry your sister and family are going through this.  As a fellow fighter, I'll be rooting for her.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:00 AM, rodheadlee said:

Thanks for all of your prayers. It seems she is pulling out of this episode. She should be back in her apartment in 3-5 days.

I am glad to hear this (for both her, as well as you), and I am really proud of her.