Elder Holland addresses issue of depression

My best friend just voluntarily entered a psych ward today until July 8th because she's been very depressed and wanting to end everything since she was violently sexually assaulted 2 months ago. Her depression has gotten worse over the 2 months. Im glad she's still here but I hope God would be understanding of her mentality and forgiving if she were ever to go through with it, which is weird because I used to look at those who were depressed and ended their lives as total cowards and deserving of punishment from God until I saw what my best friend is going through. Now I'm way more sympathetic to anyone with depression and anxiety.

4 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

My best friend just voluntarily entered a psych ward today until July 8th because she's been very depressed and wanting to end everything since she was violently sexually assaulted 2 months ago. Her depression has gotten worse over the 2 months. Im glad she's still here but I hope God would be understanding of her mentality and forgiving if she were ever to go through with it, which is weird because I used to look at those who were depressed and ended their lives as total cowards and deserving of punishment from God until I saw what my best friend is going through. Now I'm way more sympathetic to anyone with depression and anxiety.

You can't know what it's like unless you've been there yourself. I'm glad your friend is getting help. Depression is the worst. 

7 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

I am glad you are understanding of this.  Just remember she is the same person and needs you as a friend.  My sister had great depression and ended her life even after getting some help.  It comes and goes..highs and lows with different extremes.  And yet.she was joyous..loving and so talented. 

23 minutes ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

that isn't our mutual friend is it?

1 hour ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

All the teachings I have heard attached to suicides in the last 40 years since I started paying attention have been that God is very merciful and knows this is not a result of rational thought.

16 hours ago, Jeanne said:

I am glad you are understanding of this.  Just remember she is the same person and needs you as a friend. 

So.  Much.  This.  ^^^^

Ask her if it's ok if you come visit her.  You may want to call the facility and have them pass your phone number to her.  Usually (at least in my experience), your phone is taken away.  In one instance they let me have it for a few minutes so I could write down numbers, in another instance I just had to hope someone called the hospital and was able to get through.  If you visit her, check to see if she'd like you to bring a specific book to help pass the time. 

You may also want to check to see if you can come eat with her sometime.  Some facilities will allow guests to come to meals for a nominal fee.  Having something to do (like eating) can help reduce awkward silence, and allow your friend to just simply have someone there.

Edited by Doctor Steuss