Seriously No Politics ×

Elder Holland addresses issue of depression

What do folks think?

Is this a good start?

One in a series of attempts, which perhaps have seen too much talk and too little action?

Given that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is an ecclesial community and not a mental health arvocate: what more can or should the Church do to help those with emotional difficulties?

To enhance their lives?

To enable them within the Church family.

Please: at any given time, we have numerous threads addressing the LGBTQ+ issue. Some folks actually suffer distress unrelated to their genitalia. Can we address this topic without droning on yet further about sexuality? Thanks!

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/865656534/LDS-Church-releases-new-video-of-Elder-Holland-addressing-depression.html

Edited by flameburns623

I think it is wonderful!  This runs deep in my family, and the pain is immense.  My sister was hospitalized for it in her teen years, and my LDS uncle suggested we try and 'cast the devils out of her'.  I am hopeful that people like Elder Holland can help increase understanding and sympathy for mental issues.

When I served as a bishop, I would refer to LDS Family Services (formerly LDS Social Services) with some regularity.  I would tell people that many times, issues are multifaceted, and dealing with only the spiritual aspect would not lead to complete resolution.  Much like a priesthood blessing along with the appendectomy leads to the best outcome for acute appendicitis.

1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

Members should also realize that Bishops are not qualified for this kind of counseling.  I assume Bishops are getting them some support like Family Services..but some members really think the Bishop may have all the answers.  It is nice to have this acknowledged though.

Bishops do have all the answers.  Those answers just happen to involve things like "I don't know" and "I love you as a brother/sister and care about your welfare, and we should continue to meet, but I also think that you would benefit from treatment with qualified and competent mental health professionals."

;)

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
24 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Bishops do have all the answers.  Those answers just happen to involve things like "I don't know" and "I love you as a brother/sister and care about your welfare, and we should continue to meet, but I also think that you would benefit from treatment with qualified and competent mental health professionals."

;)

Thanks,

-Smac

I agree that Bishops serve as great comfort for being there for others.  He can get guidance from many sources and it is always a wonderful thing to have a rapport with your Bishop that you can go to him for something like this..that being said, some Bishops may tend to give advice from limited knowledge medically.  Being loved is so huge and even for some a special blessing if that helps.  But IMO, Bishops should refrain from anything other than offering spiritual support and a sheet of paper of a list of professionals.  I wouldn't go to my Bishop to cure my cancer..but I would certainly talk to him about other needs.

I do not know how well trained the professionals in the LDS family services department are. I have had some dealings with them in the past and the ones that I dealt with were pretty good but not equipped to deal with chronic, clinical depression. People in general are really just beginning to become aware of the problem of depression, i.e. that it is not a temporary state of mind for some people, but a daily battle that some lose.

It is good to see that our leadership in the church is picking up on this also.

Glenn

2 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

What do folks think?

Is this a good start?

One in a series of attempts, which perhaps have seen too much talk and too little action?

Given that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is an ecclesial community and not a mental health arvocate: what more can or should the Church do to help those with emotional difficulties?

To enhance their lives?

To enable them within the Church family.

Please: at any given time, we have numerous threads addressing the LGBTQ+ issue. Some folks actually suffer distress unrelated to their genitalia. Can we address this topic without droning on yet further about sexuality? Thanks!

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/865656534/LDS-Church-releases-new-video-of-Elder-Holland-addressing-depression.html

I think the LDS Church would better serve its members by recognizing the contribution its doctrinal position on perfectionism plays into depression.

I mean, there is a reason depression is so high among LDS . . .

22 minutes ago, consiglieri said:

I think the LDS Church would better serve its members by recognizing the contribution its doctrinal position on perfectionism plays into depression.

On so many levels..this is so true.  Expectations that are unrealistic and trying to please so many sets one up for failure.  My problem was I had two parents on different levels of belief of the gospel.  Trying to please both of them set me up to hurt one or the other. 

3 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

I do not know how well trained the professionals in the LDS family services department are. I have had some dealings with them in the past and the ones that I dealt with were pretty good but not equipped to deal with chronic, clinical depression. 

I talked to the head of Family Services about 10 years ago (university party) and he informed me they were switching to requiring masters and doctorates in the appropriate fields as well as attempting to expand coverage.  I have no clue if they dismissed those who weren't qualified after a certain time period or were planning on phasing less trained individuals through retirement which would take much longer.  Psychiatrists are needed for effective drug treatment, imo, and I don't know if Family Services actually includes them or just therapists.  I know there is a shortage of psychiatrists in Utah or at least ones willing and able to work with insurance people. We had to go up to SLC tofind one taking new patients.  There was only one pediatric psychiatrist in all of Utah Valley 10 years ago and we had to wait about 6 months to getinto him.  Didn't like him either because he ignored the side effects of the drugs that would cause problems for my daughter's physical problems as he claimed he was only there to treat the psycholical issues of anxiety and depression...which completely ignored the factthat her diabetes and sleep disorderwere the major causes of them.  He had great credentials though but arrogance can make the most qualified doctor make mistakes.

3 hours ago, consiglieri said:

I am thinking we had a thread recently contradicting the claim that depression is abnormally high among LDS. It's been awhile but I will see if I find it.

1 hour ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

That's like telling a paralyzed person to get up and walk.

The Nehor was doing the Nehor thing. He was joking.

I have been trying to think of a really pithy response, but I am having to suck it up too much.

Glenn