Seriously No Politics ×

A must read book, or two.

A great book for anyone is entitled...

Tuesday's with Morrie, (subtitled) "an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson" by Mitch Albom 

If you like Church History and World History, read...Latter-Day History, of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Compiled by Brian & Petrea Kelly. 

It is filled with events in Church History and world events that occurred at the same time. It has over 400 pictures of Church and World events of both. 

Also can anyone suggest to me or others reading this thread of other books of interest? 

Thanks in advance :) 

I loved Tuesday's with Morrie.  In fact, I love all of Mitch Albom's books.  I believe they made this into a movie?  I love history too..will check the above mentioned book out too.

Thanks..you rock PaPa..!

I read "Into Thin Air" this week, which is an account (written by Jon Krakauer who was a member of one of the teams that lost a lot of people) of the 1996 Mt. Everest climbing disaster where 12 climbers died in a single storm in May of that year.  It's really good, but there is language (they don't shy away from the F word but it's not prolific).

The movie "Everest" is based on the event (but not the book).

55 minutes ago, Calm said:

Other team members disputed his portrayal of events, but I hear it is a good read.

Yes, it's one of the reasons that I take all his books with a grain of salt.  He is quite critical of himself though in the book, and even includes emails and letters he got after the fact that were extremely critical of him, so i appreciate his honesty, even though bias is a given.

I did find it kind of funny that he is incredibly critical of the movie (and his portrayal in it) given the criticism he faced himself trying to retell the tale.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I read "Into Thin Air" this week, which is an account (written by Jon Krakauer who was a member of one of the teams that lost a lot of people) of the 1996 Mt. Everest climbing disaster where 12 climbers died in a single storm in May of that year.  It's really good, but there is language (they don't shy away from the F word but it's not prolific).

I still haven't forgiven Krakauer for the crap he wrote in "Under the Banner of Heaven".  Doesn't make me want to read anything else of his.

51 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I still haven't forgiven Krakauer for the crap he wrote in "Under the Banner of Heaven".  Doesn't make me want to read anything else of his.

I read "Into the Wild" in High School.  Don't remember loving it.  I don't need to read anything else of his.

16 hours ago, bluebell said:

The movie "Everest" is based on the event (but not the book).

One thing I learned about Everest form a documentary was that those who die on the Mountian are pushed aside and remain there forever. 

14 hours ago, Rivers said:

I read "Into the Wild" in High School.  Don't remember loving it.  I don't need to read anything else of his.

I read that one too and I didn't like it as much. McCandless's lifestyle choices (especially the way he treated his parents) were hard for me to relate to. He was just so narcissistic. 

1 hour ago, Pa Pa said:

One thing I learned about Everest form a documentary was that those who die on the Mountian are pushed aside and remain there forever. 

Yeah, it's crazy that they have to leave them there. There's actually a website that     chronicles the bodies (there are photos so it's not for the feint of heart, though the faces are generally covered). 

15 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

He got some pretty basic stuff wrong about the LDS faith. It wasn't a very good journalistic effort.