Seriously No Politics ×

Help with supplemental insurance to Medicare

Calm

I have to figure out a good replacement insurance to cover stuff medicare doesn't for my 86 year old mom.  Due to communication issues after my dad died, the company she was getting it from has denied her coverage.  (still appealing based on the fact that I talked to them four times as well as received communications implying coverage and was never informed in 6 months it was terminated). I don't have a clue about what to look for and what is accurate and what is a scam, so any input on what website to go to for information would be very appreciated.  I plan on taking her into the local SS office sometime next week so we can make my taking care of her government stuff official, at this point the only thing I think I know is she is on Medicare Part A whatever that means.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I have to figure out a good replacement insurance to cover stuff medicare doesn't for my 86 year old mom.  Due to communication issues after my dad died, the company she was getting it from has denied her coverage.  (still appealing based on the fact that I talked to them four times as well as received communications implying coverage and was never informed in 6 months it was terminated). I don't have a clue about what to look for and what is accurate and what is a scam, so any input on what website to go to for information would be very appreciated.  I plan on taking her into the local SS office sometime next week so we can make my taking care of her government stuff official, at this point the only thing I think I know is she is on Medicare Part A whatever that means.

My wife is a Home Health and Hospice administrator.  She says the AARP website is a good idea.  Medicare Part A covers hospitalizations and Home Health Care--it doesn't cover doctor visits or medications.  Part B Medicare would cover some of the gap, but only with a co-pay.  She says there are probably better Medicare gap options than Part B--BlueCross/BlueShield and Optum/AARP are two you might want to consider.

Edited by Okrahomer
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Two of my friends on the cruise with my wife and I have a son who is Doctor (Hospitalists), who told his parent's to get all "Parts". I have never had to worry with anything yet, my Police pension provides for me and my wife until 65, and if I pass will provided for her. What my pension does after I go on Medicare, they then provide all of the other parts or Medicare. Although next month I have to go to court about my Social Security, as agreed to by my disability insurance. 

17 hours ago, bluebell said:

Have you checked the AARP site?  I think they often have that kind of information available or insurance that they recommend.

I do not trust AARP nor the insurance plans the push.  Their recommendations are based on the amount of commissions they get. 

It will be difficult to get a good affordable supplement at her age.  Find a good insurance agent that you feel you can trust to help you through this.  I have State Farm Ins. Co. supplement and through all the medical problems with my wife, before she died, they were excellent.

Edited by ERayR