Seriously No Politics ×

First vision accounts getting detailed attention in CES devotional

On 5/9/2016 at 0:48 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I can understand that; such a thing has happened to me.

In this case, though, a rebuttal to HJW's post did appear on the self same page, just a few posts prior to it.

And HJW has a history of this sort of thing. He and I have gone the rounds about his repeated assertion that there is no statement in the Church that homosexuality is a condition of mortality only. I have repeatedly contradicted his claim with documentation only to find him repeating it later as though there had been no rebuttal made.

On 5/17/2016 at 8:53 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

CFR that I have a "history" of this. Provide examples that reflect this "history" or retract with an apology for your subtle ad hominem aimed at poisoning the well against my participation here. 

Unless you've never missed previous posts (which would be truly miraculous) maybe you should knock off the false accusations.

Why are you requiring that I provide examples when the examples are already at hand?

First, you repeatedly claim the Church has no doctrinal position pertaining to homosexual orientation not existing beyond mortality. Each time, I have responded with documentation that the Church does hold that position. In the latest occurrence, I took you to task for ignoring what I had said previously. You then repeated your claim. I chided you for ignoring what I had written in that very thread. Only then did you acknowledge my rebuttal. That's two separate repetitions of the same claim without acknowledging an answer that had already been given.

Now, on this thread, you make a claim of inconsistency in Joseph Smith's written accounts of his experience, despite the fact that Wiki Wonka had already given an explanation resolving this matter.

So that's three separate instances of you repeating a claim while neglecting or ignoring a rebuttal that had already been made. That, to me, is quite enough to establish a pattern, or a "history."

What is it you're issuing the CFR for? Do you want a link? OK, here's a link to the last thread where you twice repeated your demand for authoritative Church statements about homosexuality not existing past mortality. You might have to scroll up and down the page a bit to see all the posts in the conversation, but they are there.

Maybe you're not doing this intentionally; maybe you are beset with attention deficit disorder and long-term memory disability. We'll know, I suppose, if you come back on a future occasion claiming yet again that the Church has never made any authoritative statement about homosexuality not persisting beyond mortality.

1 hour ago, cinepro said:

It's not just "different times, in different circumstances".

It's like this.

18 years ago, I worked at an electronics store in Los Angeles.  I sold a lot of TVs, VCRs and DVD players to different people, including some celebrities (and "celebrities").  Suppose you meet me in 2002 and we become friends.  I don't talk a lot about my time selling VCRs, but I have told you some stories, including the times I sold stuff to Bill Pullman and Sinbad the comedian.

Now, in 2016, I've changed interests and am applying for a prestigious job as a curator at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.  I'm nervous for my first interview, so I ask you to accompany me.  After the interview, you ask how it went, and I say "It went well.  I told them about the time Ronald Reagan came in to the electronics store and I sold him a DVD player.  They really liked that story."

You might be a little surprised that I had never mentioned it until that point.

The next day, I have a follow up interview with the head of the museum.  After the interview, you ask how it went.  I say, "Well, when I got to the president's office, I was surprised to see a bunch of Beatles memorabilia in their office.  It turns out they were a huge Beatles fan.  So I told them about that time I sold Paul McCartney a VCR back in the late 1990s and asked him some questions about what it was like to be in the Beatles.  Boy, the President of the museum really liked that story!"

You express further shock that not only had I never mentioned selling a DVD player to Ronald Reagan, I also had never mentioned Paul McCartney.  "Well,", I say, "It was a different story for a different audience.  If you were a Beatles fan, I might have mentioned it.  Also, it's only as time has gone on that I've been able to remember the stories about Ronald Reagan and Paul McCartney.  Back in the early 2000s, I would usually just tell the stories about Bill Pullman and Sinbad."

If this would make perfect sense to you, then fine.  On the other hand, if you would get a little suspicious about the timing of my recalling those stories, then you can understand why some people have reservations about the timing and details in the different versions of the First Vision stories.

:PI love how you explained this...but your employment in any of these areas are not deemed to be a foundation for a restoration of gospel.  We've been taught that the vision and B of M is the foundation/cornerstone of a religion.  Do missionaries still start out with the first vision story?  Should they? 

17 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Why are you requiring that I provide examples when the examples are already at hand?

First, you repeatedly claim the Church has no doctrinal position pertaining to homosexual orientation not existing beyond mortality. Each time, I have responded with documentation that the Church does hold that position. In the latest occurrence, I took you to task for ignoring what I had said previously. You then repeated your claim. I chided you for ignoring what I had written in that very thread. Only then did you acknowledge my rebuttal. That's two separate repetitions of the same claim without acknowledging an answer that had already been given.

Now, on this thread, you make a claim of inconsistency in Joseph Smith's written accounts of his experience, despite the fact that Wiki Wonka had already given an explanation resolving this matter.

So that's three separate instances of you repeating a claim while neglecting or ignoring a rebuttal that had already been made. That, to me, is quite enough to establish a pattern, or a "history."

What is it you're issuing the CFR for? Do you want a link? OK, here's a link to the last thread where you twice repeated your demand for authoritative Church statements about homosexuality not existing past mortality. You might have to scroll up and down the page a bit to see all the posts in the conversation, but they are there.

Maybe you're not doing this intentionally; maybe you are beset with attention deficit disorder and long-term memory disability. We'll know, I suppose, if you come back on a future occasion claiming yet again that the Church has never made any authoritative statement about homosexuality not persisting beyond mortality.

You crack me up. Thanks for providing the link to that whole "Lance Wickman declares church doctrine" thread. I think what you fail to realize is that your argument just isn't credible. So if I ask a question and you give a weak sauce answer (not your fault because no good answer exists to support your side), then I will ask the question again. It's funny that you think just because you say something I should accept it as gospel truth. Despite your best attempts to board nanny, you simply don't have the power to direct me to accept your answer. I'll also note that there were many others who did not accept your attempts to claim doctrine as declared by Lance Wickman.

I see you're as classy as usual by trying to mock me for ADD and poor long-term memory.

45 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Maybe you're not doing this intentionally; maybe you are beset with attention deficit disorder and long-term memory disability.

I think you are probably not in a good position to question the motives of others, Scott.

For example, here is the post you made a couple of days ago and the comment I made in response on a thread that is now closed.

Since you didn't see fit to respond to it there, even though I posted it twice, maybe you would like to take a crack at it here.

Thanks in advance.  ;)

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:16 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

As far as I can tell, the only one to have made a fuss over it was Sister Okazaki, and that was years after the fact, when she had long since been released and was well into her book-writing and speech-making career.  . . . I earnestly disapprove of her publicly second-guessing the Brethren about the manner in which the family proclamation was created and introduced, and I think it unseemly for one having held the position she did. 

I can't believe you actually wrote that, Scott!

First, you have just let everybody know why it is impossible to have an honest discussion with you about Mormonism--because you disapprove of anybody "publicly second-guessing the Brethren."

This means that no matter how you may actually feel, you are never going to spout anything other than the party line.  You have no intention of saying what you really think, but only what you think you ought to say.

How does this square with being a journalist, I wonder?

And nice job smearing Sister Okazaki with the implication the only reason she said this was for profit; i.e., she "was well into her book-writing and speech-making career."

Classy move, Scott.

(Reposted so Scott won't miss it.)  ;)

33 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

You crack me up. Thanks for providing the link to that whole "Lance Wickman declares church doctrine" thread. I think what you fail to realize is that your argument just isn't credible. So if I ask a question and you give a weak sauce answer (not your fault because no good answer exists to support your side), then I will ask the question again. It's funny that you think just because you say something I should accept it as gospel truth. Despite your best attempts to board nanny, you simply don't have the power to direct me to accept your answer. I'll also note that there were many others who did not accept your attempts to claim doctrine as declared by Lance Wickman.

I see you're as classy as usual by trying to mock me for ADD and poor long-term memory.

Blithely waving off statements given on official Church venues by an apostle (Dallin H. Oaks) and another General Authority (Lance V. Wickman) is one thing; acting as though they had never been cited in the first place is quite another. The one is a weak response, but it is a response, at least; the other merely shows that you're not paying attention -- or in bad faith intentionally ignoring responses.

Ignoring rebuttals as though they had never been made is modus operandi for typical anti-Mormons, HJW. Do you really want to be classed with that crowd?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
4 hours ago, consiglieri said:

I think you are probably not in a good position to question the motives of others, Scott.

For example, here is the post you made a couple of days ago and the comment I made in response on a thread that is now closed.

Since you didn't see fit to respond to it there, even though I posted it twice, maybe you would like to take a crack at it here.

Thanks in advance.  ;)

I can't believe you actually wrote that, Scott!

First, you have just let everybody know why it is impossible to have an honest discussion with you about Mormonism--because you disapprove of anybody "publicly second-guessing the Brethren."

This means that no matter how you may actually feel, you are never going to spout anything other than the party line.  You have no intention of saying what you really think, but only what you think you ought to say.

How does this square with being a journalist, I wonder?

And nice job smearing Sister Okazaki with the implication the only reason she said this was for profit; i.e., she "was well into her book-writing and speech-making career."

Classy move, Scott.

(Reposted so Scott won't miss it.)  ;)

With you, I'm inclined to adopt the practice of smac97, who has taken lately to declining to enter into a substantive discussion with you. I agree with him that you are little more than a provocateur.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
16 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

With you, I'm inclined to adopt the practice of smac97, who has taken lately to declining to enter into a substantive discussion with you. I agree with him that you are little more than a provocateur.

Caught with your pants down, I see.

46 minutes ago, california boy said:

Scott, are you willing to state that church doctrine can be declared by any apostle of the church if he so wishes something to be doctrinal?  

Let me chime in and say:  "YES!"  Especially when the various General Authorities can base their statements on the authority of scriptures.  There are hundreds of passages in both the OT and NT that IRREVOCABLY condemn homosexuality (and acts related to it, such as the "unnatural use of the body").  Why would ANYONE hope or think they can carry "this condition" into the Celestial Kingdom in the next life?  You cannot convey SIN into the Presence of God.

If there is a new doctrine, then of course there would have to be unanimity among the top 2 bodies of the Church.  But certain people hope that by continued "agitation" they can wear down the Church into making compromises.  Not going to happen.  However, what will happen is this issue (plus many others) will cause the Tares to separate from the Wheat.  Where do you want to be?  With the Tares or with the Wheat?

10 minutes ago, longview said:

Let me chime in and say:  "YES!"  Especially when the various General Authorities can base their statements on the authority of scriptures.  There are hundreds of passages in both the OT and NT that IRREVOCABLY condemn homosexuality (and acts related to it, such as the "unnatural use of the body").  Why would ANYONE hope or think they can carry "this condition" into the Celestial Kingdom in the next life?  You cannot convey SIN into the Presence of God.

If there is a new doctrine, then of course there would have to be unanimity among the top 2 bodies of the Church.  But certain people hope that by continued "agitation" they can wear down the Church into making compromises.  Not going to happen.  However, what will happen is this issue (plus many others) will cause the Tares to separate from the Wheat.  Where do you want to be?  With the Tares or with the Wheat?

I'm not going to call for a CFR cause that would just be mean, but "hundreds of passages"? Come on.

So as long as any general authority is basing his new doctrine on scripture (even though it is his own interpretation) then we should accept that as doctrine? Again...come on. The church would be pure chaos. Statements of various leaders have often been contradictory. I guess both versions of conflicting views are doctrine. The church both makes an absolute doctrinal claim against evolution and also that they don't know. Adam/God theory is both doctrine and it's a heresy. Sorry, guys. That doesn't work.

1. Elder B.H. Roberts explained what Official Doctrine is:

The Church has confined the sources of doctrine by which it is willing to be bound before the world to the things that God has revealed, and which the Church has officially accepted, and those alone. These would include the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price; these have been repeatedly accepted and endorsed by the Church in general conference assembled, and are the only sources of absolute appeal for our doctrine.

2. President Harold B. Lee explains,

“It is not to be thought that every word spoken by the General Authorities is inspired, or that they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost in everything they write. I don't care what his position is, if he writes something or speaks something that goes beyond anything that you can find in the standard church works.”

3. May 4, 2007 First Presidency Statement-

Not every statement made by a church leader – past or present – necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal though well-considered opinion but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publication. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith.”

On May 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

No, because I'm not anti-Mormon. However, your judgment is unimportant to me.

According to the 14 Fundamentals of following the Prophet, THE prophet is the only one who speaks for the church as a whole. With that in mind, I find it hard to accept that an answer by a 70 during a Q&A session is binding on the church as doctrine. I view it as his opinion. As you point out, Elder Oaks seems to affirm Wickman's opinion by sharing his opinion about it. Again, this would constitute a new doctrine. Elder Oaks does not have authority to create doctrine either. True doctrine will be taught repeatedly. True doctrine will come through the appropriate source. Your citations of WIckman and Oaks don't qualify and your reference to Mormons and Gays doesn't say anything definitive either. You are merely reading into it what you want to see. That's fine. I'll stop arguing the point because I don't think it will matter to you anyway.

But your continued attack, attempting to influence others to believe I have bad, is irritating, irrational, and mean spirited. It's what people do when they're losing an argument.

Perhaps the reason you are going to "stop arguing the point" is that you can no longer claim with blissful ignorance that there has never been any expression by the Church regarding it. 

If either Elder Oaks or Elder Wickman were off the beam on this, wouldn't their statements have been removed from this official Church web site by now?  What about mormonsandgays.org? That's the go-to source these days for the Church's positions on this subject. Would something be perpetuated there if it were not solid doctrinally? With the Internet, it is easy to fix errors; you just go in and do it. It's not like the old days when a statement published in error remained in print indefinitey. 

Doesn't it tell you something that there is absolutely no indication of ambiguity or equivocation or uncertainty on the part of the Brethren on this point? That the only statements at all that can be found by them are to the effect that homosexuality is a malady that pertains only to mortality?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Perhaps the reason you are going to "stop arguing the point" is that you can no longer claim with blissful ignorance that there has never been any expression by the Church regarding it. 

If either Elder Oaks or Elder Wickman were off the beam on this, wouldn't their statements have been removed from this official Church web site by now?  With the Internet, it is easy to fix errors; you just go in and do it. It's not like the old days when a statement published in error remained in print indefinitey. 

Doesn't it tell you something that there is absolutely no indication of ambiguity or equivocation or uncertainty on the part of the Brethren on this point? That the only statements at all that can be found by them are to the effect that homosexuality is a malady that pertains only to mortality?

I'm gay in this life and I'll be gay in the next. If a god thinks that's going to change then he is unworthy of love, devotion and worship. I'll happily escort myself to Outer Darkness than live with an insufferable ignoramus.

1 hour ago, Valentinus said:

I'm gay in this life and I'll be gay in the next. If a god thinks that's going to change then he is unworthy of love, devotion and worship. I'll happily escort myself to Outer Darkness than live with an insufferable ignoramus.

You are entitled to choose your own beliefs. But I worry about those who suffer in silence, yearning to live in accordance with the laws of God but fearful that they are stuck forever with homosexual tendencies. It is not fair to make them think the Church has no position on this matter when in fact the opposite is true. They are as entitled to whatever assurance can be offered as you are to choose your own beliefs. 

2 hours ago, Valentinus said:

You are so worthy of love.  I believe God will look at your life and your service to others and welcome you home.

Edited by Jeanne
23 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Darn!  I have waited and waited for your reply to Consig. 

4 hours ago, Valentinus said:

I do not condemn anyone who struggle with same sex attractions.  However, I have three questions for you:

1- Do you believe you existed as a spirit child of God before being born into this world?

2- Do you believe that there were ONLY two sexes in the pre-existence?

3- Do you believe that spirit beings could have homosexual tendencies?

8 hours ago, cinepro said:

I'm sorry, but do you really think there are "hundreds" of passages in the scriptures that IRREVOCABLY condemn homosexuality?  I'll make this easy and just ask for the first hundred. 

And you can even include scriptures from the Mosaic law, even though we don't adhere to them in our day.

I have been reading the Bible thru this past two months (after having read the BoM several times for the past few years).  I am now in Deuteronomy.  Abraham and Lot (Book of Genesis) were taught by the Lord that homosexuality in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah was a grievous abomination.  I would count each individual homosexuals for my totals.  B:)

I agree with you and HJW that it would take a considerable amount of time to list every passage.  So maybe I should have said "MANY" instead of hundreds.  :wacko:

Edit to add:

Pres. Kimball in the November 1977 Ensign:

We hear more and more each day about the sins of adultery, homosexuality, and lesbianism. Homosexuality is an ugly sin, but because of its prevalence, the need to warn the uninitiated, and the desire to help those who may already be involved with it, it must be brought into the open.

It is the sin of the ages. It was present in Israel’s wandering as well as after and before. It was tolerated by the Greeks. It was prevalent in decaying Rome. The ancient cities of Sodom and Gomorrah are symbols of wretched wickedness more especially related to this perversion, as the incident of Lot’s visitors indicates.

There is today a strong clamor to make such practices legal by passing legislation. Some would also legislate to legalize prostitution. They have legalized abortion, seeking to remove from this heinous crime the stigma of sin.

We do not hesitate to tell the world that the cure for these evils is not in surrender.

“But let us emphasize that right and wrong, righteousness and sin, are not dependent upon man’s interpretations, conventions and attitudes. Social acceptance does not change the status of an act, making wrong into right. If all the people in the world were to accept homosexuality, … the practice would still be a deep, dark sin.” (The Miracle of Forgiveness, Bookcraft, p. 79.)

Edited by longview
1 hour ago, longview said:

I do not condemn anyone who struggle with same sex attractions.  However, I have three questions for you:

1- Do you believe you existed as a spirit child of God before being born into this world?

2- Do you believe that there were ONLY two sexes in the pre-existence?

3- Do you believe that spirit beings could have homosexual tendencies?

I don't struggle with it. I'm actually really good at being attracted to men. Shaved head, beard, full tattoo sleeves and intelligence...my kryptonite.

1. No

2. No

3. No. I reject the idea of premortality.

Edited by Valentinus
4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You are entitled to choose your own beliefs. But I worry about those who suffer in silence, yearning to live in accordance with the laws of God but fearful that they are stuck forever with homosexual tendencies. It is not fair to make them think the Church has no position on this matter when in fact the opposite is true. They are as entitled to whatever assurance can be offered as you are to choose your own beliefs. 

You really should clarify that these are the  laws of God according to the LDS church and are in no way "catholic" or "universal" and binding on every human being. 

7 hours ago, Valentinus said:

I'm gay in this life and I'll be gay in the next. If a god thinks that's going to change then he is unworthy of love, devotion and worship.

There is some truth to this.  The next life is the spirit world and we enter the spirit world the same way as we leave this world minus a physical body.  So yes a gay person will still be gay in the spirit world.  A smoker will still crave the nicotine in the spirit world but will not be able to satisfy that craving by smoking.  After the resurrection that is probably a different story.  God will not change you.  It is up to you to change yourself.  God will only help if you want it.

Edited by carbon dioxide
1 hour ago, longview said:

I have been reading the Bible thru this past two months (after having read the BoM several times for the past few years).  I am now in Deuteronomy.  Abraham and Lot (Book of Genesis) were taught by the Lord that homosexuality in the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah was a grievous abomination.  I would count each individual homosexuals for my totals.  B:)

I agree with you and HJW that it would take a considerable amount of time to list every passage.  So maybe I should have said "MANY" instead of hundreds.  :wacko:

Edit to add:

Pres. Kimball in the November 1977 Ensign:

We hear more and more each day about the sins of adultery, homosexuality, and lesbianism. Homosexuality is an ugly sin, but because of its prevalence, the need to warn the uninitiated, and the desire to help those who may already be involved with it, it must be brought into the open.

It is the sin of the ages. It was present in Israel’s wandering as well as after and before. It was tolerated by the Greeks. It was prevalent in decaying Rome. The ancient cities of Sodom and Gomorrah are symbols of wretched wickedness more especially related to this perversion, as the incident of Lot’s visitors indicates.

There is today a strong clamor to make such practices legal by passing legislation. Some would also legislate to legalize prostitution. They have legalized abortion, seeking to remove from this heinous crime the stigma of sin.

We do not hesitate to tell the world that the cure for these evils is not in surrender.

“But let us emphasize that right and wrong, righteousness and sin, are not dependent upon man’s interpretations, conventions and attitudes. Social acceptance does not change the status of an act, making wrong into right. If all the people in the world were to accept homosexuality, … the practice would still be a deep, dark sin.” (The Miracle of Forgiveness, Bookcraft, p. 79.)

It should be noted that the scriptures do not single out homosexuality as the reason Sodom was destroyed.   Yes it does play a role in the story of Lot but Sodom was targeted for destruction before that event happened and God was not going to destroy the city based on one event.  Sodom was destroyed because it was so wicked that God could not even find 10 righteous people.  Wickedness breeds wickedness.  Far more was going on in Sodom than homosexual acts.  The basic premise is this.  When a people ripen in sin, they will reach a point that God will not look away any longer.  God destroyed cities in the Book of Mormon for the same principle as he did Sodom.  Eventually the mercy and patience of God runs out and the time to repent has passed.  The people have to be destroyed.

19 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

There is some truth to this.  The next life is the spirit world and we enter the spirit world the same way as we leave this world minus a physical body.  So yes a gay person will still be gay in the spirit world.  A smoker will still crave the nicotine in the spirit world but will not be able to satisfy that craving by smoking.  After the resurrection that is probably a different story.  God will not change you.  It is up to you to change yourself.  God will only help if you want it.

I don't want to not be gay. If that were the case then I may as well wish I'd never been born. I'm done drinking the religion kool-aid.

3 hours ago, carbon dioxide said:

I disagree with this. It is based on a traditional but, in my view, erroneous interpretation of scripture. Cravings to which a physical body is subject cannot continue if there is no physical body.