Seriously No Politics ×

Don't Read the Book of Mormon, That is how they get you!

It is true, this is how they get you. While serving in the Army in Germany (West Germany then) I had a platoon Sargent who was an inactive Later-day Saint. I had an assignment to go out to a firing rage for a couple of weeks. So when my neighbor gave me the Book of Mormon as I was getting ready to leave, she gave me a copy. Upon receiving it in my hand (touching it) I was overcome with awe. I not no time to discuss it, but with whispered breath, I asked "what is this". I was so overcome that even if I had the time, I doubt I would have understood. In was in Jan 1979 that it was given to me. For the next four hours I drove the jeep through a blizzard. All the while my mind was on the odd book. When I arrived I took the Book to my platoon Sargent, along with many pamphlets I was given, believing them to be for him. He tried to tell me the story and raped it compleatley. 

As I came out later than others, I was required to man the switchboard that night. Of course everyone was sleeping, so I began to read, and the Spirit of God rested upon me, in a way that I had never before experienced. I read through to the Book of Mosiah and then turned my attention to the many pamphlets I had been given. The next time I saw my wife, I told her I wanted every piece of paper printed by this Church. Little did I know for what I was asking. But digested them all, but from that first night I was a convert.

I tell you this because, I have had two very serious brushes with death...the last one this weekend. I share this so that all might know, before I leave the board or this earth. I am a believer, and make no excuses. 

So yes, reading the Book of Mormon can get you and is why our detractors fear us and warn others to stat away from the most precious book!

Bill (Papa) Lee

Atlanta, GA

God bless you all, and God love you all enough to have the same experience. :) 

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

Well, I can't say I had "the same experience" as it happened differently for me, but bless you for sharing your testimony brother. 

You make it sound like your health may be failing, so I will take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on this board and to wish you and your family well should you end up departing this world soon, and since Father's day is coming up soon enough, to wish you a happy Father's Day. We are glad you found Zion brother, and wish your Hotlanta, Georgia branch of Zion well.

14 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

So yes, reading the Book of Mormon can get you and is why our detractors fear us and warn others to stat away from the most precious book! 

When I read the Book of Mormon, I use the original 1830 version and the 1981 version. I prefer 
the 1830 one because it is the original translation that Joseph Smith is reported to have done 
from the golden plates.  But the 1981 version is more readable because of its clearer sectional 
and verse breakdown.

The LDS Church for a long time printed in the Introduction page that the Book of Mormon contained, 
as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel.  They omitted the "as does the Bible" 
part recently without explaining why. At least I didn't see it.  Maybe they did this because they
wanted to make the Book of Mormon sound more precious than the Bible. 

But when I read the Bible, it is very easy to spot significant differences with the Book of Mormon.

Thanks,
Jim

14 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

It is true, this is how they get you. While serving in the Army in Germany (West Germany then) I had a platoon Sargent who was an inactive Later-day Saint. I had an assignment to go out to a firing rage for a couple of weeks. So when my neighbor gave me the Book of Mormon as I was getting ready to leave, she gave me a copy. Upon receiving it in my hand (touching it) I was overcome with awe. I not no time to discuss it, but with whispered breath, I asked "what is this". I was so overcome that even if I had the time, I doubt I would have understood. In was in Jan 1979 that it was given to me. For the next four hours I drove the jeep through a blizzard. All the while my mind was on the odd book. When I arrived I took the Book to my platoon Sargent, along with many pamphlets I was given, believing them to be for him. He tried to tell me the story and raped it compleatley. 

As I came out later than others, I was required to man the switchboard that night. Of course everyone was sleeping, so I began to read, and the Spirit of God rested upon me, in a way that I had never before experienced. I read through to the Book of Mosiah and then turned my attention to the many pamphlets I had been given. The next time I saw my wife, I told her I wanted every piece of paper printed by this Church. Little did I know for what I was asking. But digested them all, but from that first night I was a convert.

I tell you this because, I have had two very serious brushes with death...the last one this weekend. I share this so that all might know, before I leave the board or this earth. I am a believer, and make no excuses. 

Bill (Papa) Lee

Atlanta, GA

God Bless you Pa Pa.

2 hours ago, theplains said:

When I read the Book of Mormon, I use the original 1830 version and the 1981 version. I prefer 
the 1830 one because it is the original translation that Joseph Smith is reported to have done 
from the golden plates.  But the 1981 version is more readable because of its clearer sectional 
and verse breakdown.

The LDS Church for a long time printed in the Introduction page that the Book of Mormon contained, 
as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel.  They omitted the "as does the Bible" 
part recently without explaining why. At least I didn't see it.  Maybe they did this because they
wanted to make the Book of Mormon sound more precious than the Bible. 

But when I read the Bible, it is very easy to spot significant differences with the Book of Mormon.

Thanks,
Jim

Having read both versions, it is interesting to remember that many changes were made by the printer for punctuation so errors and grammatical ones as he viewed them. Believing that Joseph was the author due to requirements to say so in his time. Some changes were made in later additions (one phrase was left out in error and then returned when the mistake was realized. Another was changing "white" to "pure" to keep the idea that all would be made pure, as the term that all would be made white was indeed offensive to other races...which is entirely understandable. Just as previous doctrines we also insulting to an entire race. But the central theme that caused me to feel an overpowering Spirit, that being Jesus Christ, his sacrifice and atonement remained the same. Every time I have time or go to the Temple while waiting for a session, I reas 2 Nephi 9-10, which in my opinion is the greatest sermon and teaching ever given to help us understand the atonement. Then Mosiah 1-5 which is the greatest sermon, save the sermon on the mount ever uttered by man. Of course the sermon on the mount being delivered by the Son of Man. God be praised for giving us the Prophets of the Bible and the Prophets of the Book of Mormon, and the Prophet who translated it and gave it to our generation! 

That's awesome Pa pa.  Thanks for sharing.

My experience wasn't yours, of course, but it was meaningful to me as I first read it--well first read it on my own all the way through.

I will say, it seems like, many sincere people have read it and have not had any such type of impressions. 

4 hours ago, RevTestament said:

Well, I can't say I had "the same experience" as it happened differently for me, but bless you for sharing your testimony brother. 

You make it sound like your health may be failing, so I will take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on this board and to wish you and your family well should you end up departing this world soon, and since Father's day is coming up soon enough, to wish you a happy Father's Day. We are glad you found Zion brother, and wish your Hotlanta, Georgia branch of Zion well.

I have diabities which I have let get so out of control that I am ashamed that until now after two very close calls lately have opened my eyes. I am also ashamed that I did not make my healt a priority as I should have for my family. Each time God has saved me by having someone get to me in time. Three middle pricks and shots daily are a small price to pay for those who love me. I have been selfish and have taken steps to correct my behavior. My wife, my children and my grandchildren deserve better, as well as a merciful God. I have been married 40 years and it would seem my wife and other family want more. But I also know that we are never promised more than today, thus my desire to make sure all know how I feel and how I believe...or even better, why I believe. 

3 hours ago, ERayR said:

God Bless you Pa Pa.

And you as well, I enjoy this site and my friends here. The condition of my back allows me fellowship here as I do not get out much, other than to Church and doctors...I will only let you guess guess which I enjoy more, Church or Doctors. :)

To share something so personal and close to your heart is a testimony to me of your character and being true to yourself and what you believe.  I have always admired your words here.  Know that this non mormon listens..and much respect is given.

You be well Papa..!

20 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

Bill (Papa) Lee

Atlanta, GA

Thank you for sharing your experience, Bill.

I prayed my way through the Book of Mormon at age 18 and the Spirit bore testimony to me that every word of that book is the Word of God.

God speed, my friend.

1 hour ago, consiglieri said:

Thank you for sharing your experience, Bill.

I prayed my way through the Book of Mormon at age 18 and the Spirit bore testimony to me that every word of that book is the Word of God.

God speed, my friend.

I have always tried to follow the council of President Benson, to rediscover it again and again. I have also tried to do the same with the Bible and Doctrine and Covenants. For me my favorite book is the one I am reading at the time. But no other Book of Mormon has given me the desire to know the others as well. It is a Holy Text, that inspires like no other.  

3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

To share something so personal and close to your heart is a testimony to me of your character and being true to yourself and what you believe.  I have always admired your words here.  Know that this non mormon listens..and much respect is given.

You be well Papa..!

Thank you and you are in my prayers, as God commands that we always do for each other and especially the window and fatherless. 

4 hours ago, stemelbow said:

That's awesome Pa pa.  Thanks for sharing.

My experience wasn't yours, of course, but it was meaningful to me as I first read it--well first read it on my own all the way through.

I will say, it seems like, many sincere people have read it and have not had any such type of impressions. 

I gave it to a friend once who wrote in red, vulgar remarks and biting commentary. Within the first chapter alone. 

17 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

I have diabities which I have let get so out of control that I am ashamed that until now after two very close calls lately have opened my eyes. I am also ashamed that I did not make my healt a priority as I should have for my family. Each time God has saved me by having someone get to me in time. Three middle pricks and shots daily are a small price to pay for those who love me. I have been selfish and have taken steps to correct my behavior. My wife, my children and my grandchildren deserve better, as well as a merciful God. I have been married 40 years and it would seem my wife and other family want more. But I also know that we are never promised more than today, thus my desire to make sure all know how I feel and how I believe...or even better, why I believe. 

Hi PaPa,

At the risk of sounding preachy, I will tell you a little of my experience with this disease. My grandmother was borderline diabetic (type II), but changed her ways while in her 60s. She also had hypertension. She quit her 5 cup per day coffee habit, and prepared fewer desserts. She proceeded to far outlive my grandfather, and lived a generally healthy life and died at 96 with all her faculties. 

Diabetes runs in my wife's family. Her grandfather was a meat and potatoes man, until he was told he needed to go on insulin. So he too changed his diet, and cut out all the potatoes. When I met him he was probably in the range of 150 lbs. Despite having to eventually have toes amputated, he lived to be over 80. His son and my wife's father was not so disciplined, however, and when his wife began to prepare vegan meals, and stopped buying prepared foods, he would go out to the store to buy his junk food and ice cream. He was not only on insulin, but had to go on dialysis the last few years of his life, and died recently in his early 70s. His sister, my wife's aunt, lost her lower leg to diabetes in her 40s and died on the operating table while undergoing surgery for heart issues. My wife, whom I dearly love, has some "minor" health issues, but generally limits sweets, although if she gets into them will eat plenty. Now in her 40s she is doing much better than her aunt, and has not been diagnosed with diabetes. She does have to take thyroid. Due to her family history I alerted her years ago to stay away from foods high on the glycemic index. She has also found she has a genetic predisposition not to absorb vitamin B12 well, so started taking a methylated version of B12. She is allergic to dairy and hates seafood, so when she starts feeling bad/anxious/etc, she will take spirulina, her vitamins, and some minerals, and can feel better/less tired/less anxious again - obviously she is not real disciplined about it - but I am glad to see she at least is cognizant about her health, and has learned what she can do to help herself feel better. When she stays off all dairy including ice cream, stays away from gluten, limits sweets, and takes her supplements, she generally feels quite well. Moderate but intensive short bursts of exercise will use up the body's glycogen, which will also allow it to regulate sugar levels better, as it uses starches and sugars to rebuild the glycogen supply, thus alleviating blood sugar spikes. Swimming is great for this - pushups, situps, pullups, etc. 

Again, thank you for sharing your testimony, and I hope you are able to stick around and continue to do so. :)

Today I sub'd in a second grade class.  One of the items on the lesson plan was to learn two vocabulary words.  One word was "writer".  Then I was to ask who their favorite writer was.  So we went around the classroom and different students gave their answers, one little girl said her favorite writer was Joseph Smith who wrote the Book of Mormon!  I thought that was cute!!

Edited by Tacenda
On 27/04/2016 at 4:06 PM, Pa Pa said:

Another was changing "white" to "pure" to keep the idea that all would be made pure, as the term that all would be made white was indeed offensive to other races...which is entirely understandable. Just as previous doctrines we also insulting to an entire race.

That change did not make sense considering the other references in the Book of Mormon to 
the curse of dark skin. There are a lot of things in the scripture which are offensive to 
non-believers.  We can't start making changes to appease them.

Thanks
Jim

4 hours ago, theplains said:

That change did not make sense considering the other references in the Book of Mormon to 
the curse of dark skin. There are a lot of things in the scripture which are offensive to 
non-believers.  We can't start making changes to appease them.

Thanks
Jim

I understand your point from a scriptural angle, which can and does prick the hearts of the wicked. But the change reflects the same thought, in an effort not to offend. The earth is filled with persons of color who are not or have not rejected Jesus Christ. It is my desire that our Ward's have people of all races.  We have missed so many opportunities to welcome all into the Church in these latter days, beginning with the Priesthood ban. One does not need to pound the pulpit and read scriptures that speak only of punishment, but those scriptures that give others hope.