Seriously No Politics ×

Favorite LDS Athletes

gopher

For the sports fans - who are your favorite LDS athletes?  For the DC sports fans, we have Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals who has quickly established himself as one of the top baseball players in the league.  He is becoming the Danny Ainge of baseball - widely hated by opposing players and fans (who also secretly wish he played for their team).  I grew up admiring Dale Murphy and Steve Young who both had stellar careers and were lots of fun to watch. 

I'm with you on all of those you mentioned.  I'll add two to your list:

Jennifer Hamson of the WNBA.  It was great fun to watch the BYU women's basketball and volleyball programs when she was there.

Another LDS athlete I root for is Eric Weddle, who has been a terrific safety for the San Diego Chargers.  And while I'm a big BYU fan, I greatly appreciated his competitive spirit and tremendous sportsmanship while he was at the University of Utah.

I've read Steve Young's autobiography, he is well loved in the San Francisco area, where my sisters are from.  So I enjoy listening to stories from them.  I had a friend get asked out by him.  Can't remember what all took place, it was so long ago.  

I love his wife Barbara and her spirit when defending those that suffer from anti gays, her brother is gay.  And I believe Steve is for much of the same things she is.

I love his ambition, he was an all time great football player! I remember reading once that because of his height, many times he was unable to even see who he was throwing the football to!!  He had a keen sense for sure.  

I was fortunate to get Steve's autograph at a Jazz game where I got Malone and Stockton's autograph too.  Steve was sitting right in front of me and I remember telling him "good luck in San Francisco."  I like Danny Ainge...just wish there were some Utahns here in NASCAR!!

On 4/29/2016 at 9:56 PM, VideoGameJunkie said:

Danny Ainge was my Bishop for 6 years so I'm biased.

Did he ever bite one of your fingers?  One of my favorite Danny Ainge stories - he got in a fight with Tree Rollins who then bit him on the finger down to the bone.  Because of Ainge's reputation, the story went around that HE bit Tree Rollins.  I also loved the picture of Danny warming up before a game wearing a "I hate Danny Ainge" t-shirt that he borrowed from a fan.

Danny Ainge. Celtic years gone by. Celtic years today.

11 minutes ago, gopher said:

Did he ever bite one of your fingers?  One of my favorite Danny Ainge stories - he got in a fight with Tree Rollins who then bit him on the finger down to the bone.  Because of Ainge's reputation, the story went around that HE bit Tree Rollins.  I also loved the picture of Danny warming up before a game wearing a "I hate Danny Ainge" t-shirt that he borrowed from a fan.

He's so different now. He's the most calm and relaxed Bishop I've seen. When the Celtics won the championship in 2008 and he was GM, he didn't even join the team on stage for the trophy presentation. He let everyone else have the spotlight.

Lexi Eaton Rydalch, late of BYU and now of the WNBA's Seattle Storm.  Her brother played basketball for Southern Virginia University, and when BYU played the Knights in an exhibition, one of the chants to be heard from the student section was, "Lexi's better!" ;)

P.S.: Ty Detmer.  One of my favorite Detmer stories is when Vai Sikahema (another LDS athlete), who's now a sports broadcaster, tried to interview Ty after a game Ty played for the Eagles in which he'd thrown a couple of interceptions.  Vai was Detmer's bishop, and when the former asked the latter about his interceptions, he said (on the air), "Awww, Bishop, I'm sorry!" :D

Edited by Kenngo1969
9 hours ago, VideoGameJunkie said:

He's so different now. He's the most calm and relaxed Bishop I've seen. ...

Being called as a bishop will do that to a man (at least outwardly), as I'm sure the current and former bishops here can attest. :) 

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Being called as a bishop will do that to a man (at least outwardly), as I'm sure the current and former bishops here can attest. :) 

Exciting for the upcoming BYU football season for you then, huh? :) 

• 3 months later...

I wanted to post about the Olympics so had to go back and find this thread...

I'm watching the USA vs France Men's Volleyball and was delighted to see former BYU player Taylor Sander (the Sandman) playing on the US team... Currently the US leads 2 sets to one, but they lost the last set by a wide margin... and though they are ahead by a couple points now, they are struggling... they need to win this set... but Taylor looks great, even with a moustache...

GG

edit to add...  Woo Hoo!!  The US prevailed!!  We won the 4th set, making it 3 to 1, and thus moving the US on to the next match... Sander made some awesome plays, just like old times as a Cougar...

Edited by Garden Girl